Sign in to follow this  
Guest rdg

Planning using FSUIPC-WIDEFS - Have 1 question

Guest rdg

Hi,I just posted a previous email but now I realized that I have another issue to solve.I know I need these two utilities from Pete, but not sure if this can be done with the setup I have.FSX now running on 1 computer, other computer free, but I am using a KV switch to share monitor, keyboard and mouse. Is there anyway to add an additional video board and install a second monitor for the client machine so I can run my flightplanner and other utilities needed to communicate with FSX?I know I can get Pete's software working, but I just dont know if my idea will work.RegardsBob G

Hi,I just posted a previous email but now I realized that I have another issue to solve.I know I need these two utilities from Pete, but not sure if this can be done with the setup I have.FSX now running on 1 computer, other computer free, but I am using a KV switch to share monitor, keyboard and mouse. Is there anyway to add an additional video board and install a second monitor for the client machine so I can run my flightplanner and other utilities needed to communicate with FSX?I know I can get Pete's software working, but I just dont know if my idea will work.RegardsBob G
Hi Bob, If I'm correct in reading your post, you currently have 1 monitor for two machines, linked via a KVM and would like to add a 2nd monitor to the mix? If so, that's exactly the type of setup I use and you wouldn't neccesarily need to add a second VC. I have my FSX machine set with two monitors off my 8800GT, one DVI the other with a VGA adaptor due to the KVM. My client machine uses the second monitor as well, via it's own card's vga port and KVM. You could then use FSUIPC or simconnect for linking you addons if you desired. The setup works great with a tap of the key for me to view charts, weather etc or just tooling the 'net after reaching cruise. When I return to the FSX machine I have the VC on one monitor anf gauges parked on the other. :( Hope it helps.

Regards, Kendall

Guest rdg
Hi Bob, If I'm correct in reading your post, you currently have 1 monitor for two machines, linked via a KVM and would like to add a 2nd monitor to the mix? If so, that's exactly the type of setup I use and you wouldn't neccesarily need to add a second VC. I have my FSX machine set with two monitors off my 8800GT, one DVI the other with a VGA adaptor due to the KVM. My client machine uses the second monitor as well, via it's own card's vga port and KVM. You could then use FSUIPC or simconnect for linking you addons if you desired. The setup works great with a tap of the key for me to view charts, weather etc or just tooling the 'net after reaching cruise. When I return to the FSX machine I have the VC on one monitor anf gauges parked on the other. :( Hope it helps.
Hi Kendall, I am a little confused and it happens to me quite often (-:Your FSX machine is using two monitors off the same card. Ok I can visualize that.*** You said "one DVI the other with a VGA adaptor due to the KVM" ***** Dont understand the part about due to the KVM.I cant visualize the FSX machine with the second monitor tied to a KVM coming off the same video card back to the client PC.Is there anyway you could diagram what you have. I know this is alot to ask and I understand if you have better things to do, but if you are willing, could send it to my home email @ bobdginn@clearwire.netRegardsBob

Hi Kendall, I am a little confused and it happens to me quite often (-:Your FSX machine is using two monitors off the same card. Ok I can visualize that.*** You said "one DVI the other with a VGA adaptor due to the KVM" ***** Dont understand the part about due to the KVM.I cant visualize the FSX machine with the second monitor tied to a KVM coming off the same video card back to the client PC.Is there anyway you could diagram what you have. I know this is alot to ask and I understand if you have better things to do, but if you are willing, could send it to my home email @ bobdginn@clearwire.netRegardsBob
Hey Bob, It happens to me all the time too so I welcome the company... :( The reason I need to use the VGA adaptor on the #2 DVI port on my 8800 is because my KVM is of VGA flavor (I'd like a DVI-KVM but there are other toys and this works fine). The routing is as follows:Host FSX machine - 8800GT has 24" monitor connected directly to #1 DVI port with DVI cable. The #2 DVI port has vga adaptor connecting one leg of kvm cables which is hooked to a 19" monitor.Client machine - X800XT has second leg of kvm cables attached completing the cuircut to the 19".So when I fly I have a 24" for VC and the 19" for gauges and with a tap of the key, the 19" switches over to the client side with the VC still on the 24". With the price of monitors dropping, my 19" will be relegated different duties soon. Hope I haven't confused even more.

Regards, Kendall

Guest rdg
Hey Bob, It happens to me all the time too so I welcome the company... :( The reason I need to use the VGA adaptor on the #2 DVI port on my 8800 is because my KVM is of VGA flavor (I'd like a DVI-KVM but there are other toys and this works fine). The routing is as follows:Host FSX machine - 8800GT has 24" monitor connected directly to #1 DVI port with DVI cable. The #2 DVI port has vga adaptor connecting one leg of kvm cables which is hooked to a 19" monitor.Client machine - X800XT has second leg of kvm cables attached completing the cuircut to the 19".So when I fly I have a 24" for VC and the 19" for gauges and with a tap of the key, the 19" switches over to the client side with the VC still on the 24". With the price of monitors dropping, my 19" will be relegated different duties soon. Hope I haven't confused even more.
Ok, I got it. Well that would work for me, but since my Client is also part of the business as I use it for some graphics software and can't give up the nice 22" lcd Hannspree monitor. So..... I guess I may have to do the manual reconnect the video cable swap to get this to work. I guess I could get a monitor extension so I dont have to reach back and swap em out all the time. Ok, I just need to evaluate my options. Thanks again for you time, I really do appreciate it. Take Care and happy flying!RegardsBob

Ok, I got it. Well that would work for me, but since my Client is also part of the business as I use it for some graphics software and can't give up the nice 22" lcd Hannspree monitor. .............................Thanks again for you time, I really do appreciate it. Take Care and happy flying!RegardsBob
If your 22" Hanspree monitor has on-screen display buttons like my dell 2405 and has both DVI and VGA inputs - it's possible - but might be a pain for you. Basically, my setup leverages the "lesser" of the two monitors for dual use. I too use my client rig for business and I "try" (another story) to get work done on the client computer with the 19" monitor while I use FSX. As I do so, the virtual cockpit is displayed on the 24" and my work on the client is displayed on the 19". When I move back to the host machine via the kvm, then both monitors are back in use for FSX and the 19" displays my gauges. You could potentially reverse this scenario - but you would have to use the on-screen display buttons to switch between DVI and VGA connections. Hope this makes sense. Good luck with it Bob and happy skies to you, as well!

Regards, Kendall

Guest rdg
If your 22" Hanspree monitor has on-screen display buttons like my dell 2405 and has both DVI and VGA inputs - it's possible - but might be a pain for you. Basically, my setup leverages the "lesser" of the two monitors for dual use. I too use my client rig for business and I "try" (another story) to get work done on the client computer with the 19" monitor while I use FSX. As I do so, the virtual cockpit is displayed on the 24" and my work on the client is displayed on the 19". When I move back to the host machine via the kvm, then both monitors are back in use for FSX and the 19" displays my gauges. You could potentially reverse this scenario - but you would have to use the on-screen display buttons to switch between DVI and VGA connections. Hope this makes sense. Good luck with it Bob and happy skies to you, as well!
Hi,I am trying to figure out which scenario is the less painful. The monitor only has 2 other inputs. HDMI-1 and HDMI-2. Havent looked that up yet to see what they do, but no other inputs found. The onscreen buttons do have an input to switch between them. I will check it out. Never saw these type of connections before though.Thanks a bunch for your thoughtful input. I hope I can return the favor one day.RegardsBob G

I still don't get it.Does all this do is save the cost of a monitor, and perhaps a keyboard ? What are the other advantages ?.Why not just run two complete computer systems (CPU/case, keyboard, & monitor) side by side.I'm trying to see the net advantage to all the pain ! :( Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

Guest rdg
I still don't get it.Does all this do is save the cost of a monitor, and perhaps a keyboard ? What are the other advantages ?.Why not just run two complete computer systems (CPU/case, keyboard, & monitor) side by side.I'm trying to see the net advantage to all the pain ! :( Bob (Las Cruces, NM)
Hey Bob, Well, I am now sharing between FSX and my other computer a really nice 24" monitor which uses a KVM switch, which allows the two computers to share the same monitor, keyboard and mouse. The other computer is for my business. The issue is that I would like to still share the same monitor but when running FSX I would like to be able to have my FSX utilities on another monitor. Although there are a couple of options, I am trying to decide which is really the easiest. If it were two computers with 2 monitors and the 2nd computer did not need to share one of the monitors, Yes as you say that is a no brainer.Bob

Pain? I guess I don't see how hooking a couple of cables up to the back of a computer can be painful or troublesome in any manner but, we do have our own tolerances....... :( The net advantage is SPACE - less clutter - and the ease of using a single keyboard/mouse across several towers and monitors - if you fail see any efficiencies or advantage, then this undoubtedly is not "your cup of tea". I personally think installing yet another piece of hardware, like a 2nd video card, which generates more heat and consumes additional resources and needs special compatibility considerations (especially if it's Nvidia), soley for the sake of sharing an additional monitor between towers, is much more "painful" than simply using a KVM. That's precicely why there is market for them.Bob in Washington, the setup I have is not complex to set up in the least. While not knowing your specific hardware, if you route your KVM cables as I described, you will be sharing your secondary monitor - not the primary and that seems like the first decision you have to make - what's the primary and what's the secondary. As I mentioned, sharing your primary is a little trickier, but can be accomplished using on-screen display buttons. Maybe you should stop into a computer store and explore what options might be availbe to you? They can certainly assist with routing and adaptor issues. Take Care.

Regards, Kendall

I run four monitors. Two on the first machine, and two on the second. Doesn't get much easier than that. And, I additionally have my second information screens on display at all times. Everything that is secondary (and beyond) is made up of old obsolete machines, monitors, and other equipment that still has a use. These secondary applications usually don't need speed.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

I run four monitors. Two on the first machine, and two on the second. Doesn't get much easier than that. And, I additionally have my second information screens on display at all times. Everything that is secondary (and beyond) is made up of old obsolete machines, monitors, and other equipment that still has a use. These secondary applications usually don't need speed.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)
Bob, glad you have the space (and the budget) as some of us aren't as fortunate. Doesn't get much clearer than that. Besides, some of us only have two hands and no need multiple keyboards - when only one will do.........

Regards, Kendall

Guest rdg
Bob, glad you have the space (and the budget) as some of us aren't as fortunate. Doesn't get much clearer than that. Besides, some of us only have two hands and no need multiple keyboards - when only one will do.........
Well, the truth is I don't have alot of space, i.e. the reason for wanting to keep the 1 set of input devices. Sounds like Toys_R_Us has a nice setup and is very happy with it. I always liked my FS9 setup, and too bad FSX has a few limitations that FS9 did not. I wish I had more space as that would allow me another path. Sometimes I find myself making decisions that lean towards FSX being more important than the business, and have to stop myself. Everything is layed out and very useable for the business so I have to always consider that. I just want to do this as eloquently as possible, and completely understand all the options (-: Thanks again and I will send you a "private" message when I get it done and maybe a picture.RegardsBob Ginn