Sign in to follow this  
Highmike

2009 RTW Race Team AVSIM PIREPS

Team Avsim participants arrived at Launceston just as the eastern horizon was beginning to lighten. The chill in the air sobered the mood of the team, and members shared a little jocular banter to relieve their apprehension. We waited in the dark ready to begin our long ordeal, and took advantage of an opportunity to save some endangered wildlife from the brink of extinction. The team took off in every direction to collect their endangered passengers, and before long two members were on their way to Melbourne with these animals, and the beginning of the race in earnest.

Mike Beckwith

Team AVSIM was very anxious to get the race underway. Taking advantage of the early morning calm and decent weather, the team set out on a Golden Age Team flight in DC-3's, some Grumman Gooses and a Comet. It was a nice flight with some bumps at various times. We were fortunate enough to have enough team members land to claim full bonus for the team flight, as well as taking care of our first aircraft requirement in the 150nm category.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Great dawn to add atmosphere to the takeoffs and climb outs. Stunningly beautiful. Below is the famous Twin Beech of Flinders Island on its way to collect a pair of Lorikeets. (YMLT-YFLI-YMLT)Fifty miles is along way in the Vimy. How did these guys cross entire oceans? Stout men, these.Here MM is flying wing to Stone's Jenny (YBIR-YKER) on Saturday/Sunday. Happily, the Vimy got down safely despite a crosswind that turned pretty nasty.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Beautiful Tazzie morning to pickup some animal friends.Ready for Departure from YMLT with all off the animals[Leg1 Team Flight

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Here's a pic from my exciting flight into YBTL. During our flight that started out for YHUG Buzz found that another route was a bit faster so her diverted us with 385 miles to go to our original destination. Along the way my wingman Rob had a computer crash so I was on my own from there. A seemingly easy approach into a big airport turn suddenly exciting when 1000 ft agl the fog rolled in. After a number of passes trying to find the runway I was nearing the 2 hour limit on the route. One last drop through the soup let me find the ground although I never saw it. With 8% fuel and the tanks and 3 minutes before busting the time for the route this was one wild ride. I can't wait for the next one!!! :( Vicious

]I thought I would contribute to this. We were looking good for the kickoff.I was backup for Stone but Stone had a few technical problems so I ended up leaving before he did.Here is a couple snaps from the flight.[attachment=3536:EPW_2009...b_21_008.jpg

spacer.png

Townsville Landing from Google EarthHighMike and I were standing by for the next leg as Vicious radioed in position reports as he approached. On short finals Vicious announced that he could not see any runway lights or the ground and announced go-around. Then the same on the second attempt. He stayed vey cool and completed the leg with time to spare. Outstanding way to bring the leg home!!! :(

Here's a pic from my exciting flight into YBTL. During our flight that started out for YHUG Buzz found that another route was a bit faster so her diverted us with 385 miles to go to our original destination. Along the way my wingman Rob had a computer crash so I was on my own from there. A seemingly easy approach into a big airport turn suddenly exciting when 1000 ft agl the fog rolled in. After a number of passes trying to find the runway I was nearing the 2 hour limit on the route. One last drop through the soup let me find the ground although I never saw it. With 8% fuel and the tanks and 3 minutes before busting the time for the route this was one wild ride. I can't wait for the next one!!! :( Vicious

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Here are a couple of shots of arrivals and departures to and from Nakashibetsu in the far north of Japan (RJCN). The first is of Rob O. departing to the north with Harvey hot on his tail, and the second is of Vicious's wingman Travis arriving a few minutes later.

Mike Beckwith

Weather at UHMA awaiting the weather.Getting anxious.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Well I just finished a long flight into UHMA from UHPP.Mike and I took off from UHPP with me as lead and him as my wingman. For the most part it was uneventful, but we kept an eye on the weather at HMA for the entire flight. It was looking pretty lousy for landing with a 28kts crosswind at almost 90 degrees.For the most part the flight was good. Had a couple scares with some overspeed in the avanti due to wind shifts at altitude, there was quite a few, however managed to get the airplane thought without any overstressing.Mike and I decided to begin our decent a little early to take it easy into UHMA as to make this landing as since it was an airbridge would be detrimental to the team to redo it. We were going to land on runway 19 as it was most favourable for the winds but this required to fly around to the other side of the airport.After a nice easy approach, I managed to get the bird down in one piece, ALMOST. It was a pretty nasty crab angle during the landing. I have attached a screenshot of the final approach. Enjoy..

spacer.png

Rndguy & I were assigned to to pick up the endangered Golden Possum @ YWYY for the kickoff event. My Co-pilot / Handler came along and decided keep the animal 'cause it was so tasty. Seriously, she did catch this thing while doing her thing outside. We also brought back alot of "duck" tape too. - "The Red Green Show" We tried to deliver the animal to the Possum Lodge and give it to Harold. But my Co-Pilot just wouldn't give it up ! :( :( :( :oRoman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

You've got to love the night flights. 28000 ft, crystal clear air, a vision of Earth which transports the senses to a place above the horizon where stars make you feel like Han Solo piloting his Millenium Falcon. You look out there knowing that those stars will remain forever stationary, but feeling that at close to 500 knots ground speed those stars could easily bleed into countless radiants as some threshold in the spatial continuum is crossed, and the RTW Race finish line seems even closer!

Mike Beckwith

Post Canal Tour Cub Run Classic to Punto CocosThe team decided to use the daylight and good weather in Panama to complete the 50 mile classics. I had tried out the Ryan with light fuel load in Australia and was able to fly it OK so I initially selected the Ryan with 10% fuel. I claimed the baton and and started my takeoff run, lifted off, started my turn towards the course line and the Ryan began to wallow, then the stall, then the crash. After a small delay and reset I made the second attempt in the Ryan and got a bit further before the same result - crash. After another small delay for flightsim to reset, I selected the Piper Cub, restarted the duenna and took off. The screen shot below me cruising along about 10 minutes into the flight (now very happy).Two minutes after this shot my engine quit (I had the 10% fuel from the Ryan in my cub at takeoff).One more reset back to MPMG with the cub and full fuel and I was off for the sucessful completion of this leg.

26aLetj.png

We decided to take a little break from the speed demons and do some low and slow flights near the west coast of Ecuador. The first shot Buzz Bee flying patterns while he tests out his new movie camera. He used the camera later to film Bry while enroute. The second is of is of Arvoo coming in over the top of Bry and I waiting for the baton hand-off.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap