Sign in to follow this  
Guest adam_uk_wmids

To trust or not to trust (Guages)?...

Guest adam_uk_wmids

Before I get on to my real point for discussion, I would like to point out how clever my topic title and accompanying description for this post are (when you are as dense as I, you have to advertise these minor accomplishments as it is never certain when the next will be!).Anyway, that over with, I thought I would raise the following points in case either somebody has an answer or there are people out there who haven't even considered it.I recently installed the Level-D 767 (FSX version - upgraded at a reduced cost because I owned the FS9 version - works great in FSX with SP1 on XP 32bit). When I did, I was asked on start up if I wanted to run a dll. Upon clicking Run, I then got an FSX dialog box asking if I wanted to make this trusted so that it started up each time with FSX or just run it for this sesson. Similarly, when I load the 767 into memory it asks me if I want to run the gau guage files one at a time for the third party guages and then follows with the same 'run every time when FSX starts' or 'just this session' question. Now there are no less than 12 of these guages and whilst it is okay to click through them every time I load the 767 (takes only 30 seconds) it is annoying.Now, my point is, when it says, and I quote:"Would you like to designate this module (file path) as 'Trusted' software? Select Yes to automatically load this software whenever you start flight Simulator. Select No to load this software for this session only."... does it mean, literally, THAT? As in, if I click Yes, it will load those guages and dll etc into memory EVERY time I start FSX, even if I am not going to fly the 767? If so couldn't this be a needless waste of resources (e.g. memory) and extension of loading time?As things stand I am therefore clicking no each time and having them for just the current session, since I am unsure of how to 'un-Trust' guages and dlls!!Has anybody got any thoughts or knowledge on this one? I am fine clicking 'No' each time, but would be interested to hear what others think about it.Attached below are two examples of the screens shown in case I was (once again!) ambiguous in my description! P.S. Apologies for the small size of writing - I was trying to keep the file sizes browser and server friendly! The text on the second of the two is exactly as I typed in the quote given above.Adam

"Would you like to designate this module (file path) as 'Trusted' software? Select Yes to automatically load this software whenever you start flight Simulator. Select No to load this software for this session only."... does it mean, literally, THAT? As in, if I click Yes, it will load those guages and dll etc into memory EVERY time I start FSX, even if I am not going to fly the 767? If so couldn't this be a needless waste of resources (e.g. memory) and extension of loading time?Adam
Hi Adam, I doubt it, but if wanted to find out you could click "yes" to the trusted prompts, fire up FSX, load a flight with another aircraft and use Process Monitor to find out what's being loaded into memory. If you don't like the results, simply delete your fsx.cfg file and do a rebuild - you'll get the same prompts all over again.

Regards, Kendall

Now, my point is, when it says, and I quote:"Would you like to designate this module (file path) as 'Trusted' software? Select Yes to automatically load this software whenever you start flight Simulator. Select No to load this software for this session only."... does it mean, literally, THAT? As in, if I click Yes, it will load those guages and dll etc into memory EVERY time I start FSX, even if I am not going to fly the 767? If so couldn't this be a needless waste of resources (e.g. memory) and extension of loading time?
No, the DLLs are only loaded if you load the aircraft they are associated with. Answeing yes to the Trusted Software question elminates the annoying need to click yes to every DLL when you load that particular aircaft too - hey 30 seconds is 30 seconds, time is money!

Please select 'Always Trust'.In FS2Crew, for example, we use e a lot of gauges, and sometimes the user will click 'no' for trust (why I don't know), and a result the associated gauge won't load and then the whole thing turns into a big support mess.Cheers,

I qualify my statements: I am neither a programmer nor developer, but I've fiddled with FSX a bit.Selecting "Always Trust" adds the name of the file to FSX's config file. Thus, the next time you load the plane, FSX will encounter the dlls and gauges, wonder if they're malicious software (as they are not default files), consult the config file, find its name (which means you told FSX they're OK to run), and finally load them.You can keep loading them for the one session only, if you want, but selecting "Always Trust" will save you the hassle of approving the loading of the files every time you want to fly the 767.

Guest adam_uk_wmids

Thanks for the replies.I'll try the process monitor tommorrow and report back, but have a sneaky suspicion it doesn't show dll's called by FSX, but rather bundles them in with the main FSX.exe process (I don't ever recall seeing FSUIPC.dll there for example)? I assume that those who replied confidently have more knowlege than me on this... which isn't difficult... but I would draw people's attention to the wording used in the dialogue box: "Would you like to designate this module (file path) as 'Trusted' software? Select Yes to automatically load this software WHENEVER you start Flight Simulator. Select No to load this software for this session only."Perhaps it means an actual simulation rather than the pre-flight interface? Eitherway, I feel it is ambiguous if it does mean 'only when called'!Adam

Have no idea why MS thought it was a good idea to put in this check. I suppose the worry is that it's really some viral thing, but if that's the case the damage would probably be done the first time you run it. scott s..

No, the DLLs are only loaded if you load the aircraft they are associated with. Answeing yes to the Trusted Software question elminates the annoying need to click yes to every DLL when you load that particular aircaft too - hey 30 seconds is 30 seconds, time is money!
Not exactly, while the gauges are only loaded when used, the DLL's are loaded at FSX startup whether the aircraft is used or not. That's why there is a Level-D menu item in the addon menu. Same with PMDG, and other addon's that use DLL's.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Not exactly, while the gauges are only loaded when used, the DLL's are loaded at FSX startup whether the aircraft is used or not. That's why there is a Level-D menu item in the addon menu. Same with PMDG, and other addon's that use DLL's.
That is close, but still not quite correct. All .dll files that're listed in the dll.xml file are loaded whenever FSX is launched. This is where FSUIPC and other third-party suport .dll files are instantiated.Gauge .dll files on the other hand, are never even looked at until they are invoked by a specific entry in a panel.cfg file, which is of course only when loading a particular aircraft. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Attached below are two examples of the screens shown in case I was (once again!) ambiguous in my description!
In the first prompt. the one which is actually from Windows, if the name of the publisher is shown (i.e. it doesn't say 'unknown') you can select the additional options which allow you to say "always trust this publisher". Then that publisher is added to the "trusted Publishers" list, and you won't get any questions again for any software signed by the same publisher again.If later you wish to rescind that decision you can always go to the Trusted Publishers list (in Internet Explorer's tools - Options somewhere) and remove that publisher from the trusted list.RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen