Sign in to follow this  
NismoRR

Vista64 fresh FSX install causing video 'noise' on LCD

So I built my first PC last week...i7 920P6T Deluxe6 gig ram (3x2 OCZ Gold)GTX 260Vista x64...and it miraculously came together without a hitch. Perfect! Besides FSX, I do a lot of online racing (iRacing) and the new PC is just tremendous with it. The laser mapped cars and tracks WERE just stunning, with PERFECT clarity into the distance. Performance was off the charts, fps between 100-400, all eye candy on. FPS is measured a but differently than FSX as some might be aware. Then I had the bright idea to install FSX yesterday, which actually I was pretty excited for, until I saw the results. Using Nick N's guide(s), I install FSX, load default flight, reboot, install Acceleration, load flight, reboot. That's it. Now, in FSX AND iRacing, I have this video 'noise' or what seems like the monitor is scanning incorrectly for there seems to be very slight movement in the pixels of the monitor. Very slight. I checked many times that the video card and monitor settings were both at 60Hz. As I've spent a week with racing and not much with FSX, I'll explain what I'm seeing in iRacing. Where everything was perfectly clear everywhere, with an occaisional flicker somewhere caused by the nVidia card, it seems like everything is slightly moving on the ground (grass, rumble strips, the stands, other track textures), when the car is moving, even 2 mph. Previously, it was razor sharp. Even if I look very closely at the blue sky, I see this. Cars in motion are suffering, and if I watch a replay, the cars blur a bit when in motion where as before they were crystal clear. And after a few hours of racing last night, my eyes felt very strained. Something's not right. Here's what I tried:Upon installing FSX, I noticed that it was insatlling DirctX 9.0c. Remember, I'm using Vista x64. Didn't love seeing that. At the end of the Acceleration install, it said updating Direct x, which seemed like forever, maybe took 30 seconds. Nick's guide mentions to get the most recent version of Direct X, so I did that. No help.Video drivers - I was using 181.22 and they were good as far as I could tell. Uninstalled them and reinstalled. NadanHancer - I just uninstalled nHancer. I'm going to reinstall it but doubt that will fix it. At this point, I don't know what else to try except to reinstall Vista. And NEVER use Flight simulator for the rest of my life! But I love FSX, so what can I do. I was so excited to get a few scenery add-ons and planes to explore and use FSPassengers with. I tried a flight out of LAX this morning (with video noise) and where I got 11-13 fps on my old system, I took of with 32-36 fps!!! AT LAX!!! 40/40 traffic. I have to get this working properly. These are the only two programs on my hard drive, with the exception of Track IR, Acrobat, and a few other little things. And let me just reiterate, everything was perfect before the FSX install.Thanks guys, anything that might be helpful would be very much appreciated.ToddBTW, I'm using a Samsung 2693HM 25.5" LCD running at 1920x1200 in case that helps.

Check the video card fan, and airflow around the card, it could be a symptom of overheating (assuming you only get the video anomalies when gaming and the card is being fully utilised, as opposed to the windows desktop which doesnt tax the card too much).I doubt the FSX install caused any issues, but I could be wrong.

2 suggestionsmake sure the vid card cable is seated well.play around with your vsync setting.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for those suggestions guys. Really appreciate it. Although the vid card definitely can get warm, temps have been fine and it's sitting in an Antec 900 with four fans and very good ventilation and air flow. It also get these symptoms right at start up and when everything's cool. But, I'll double check and maybe turn up the fan near the video card just to make sure. I did put a sound card in earlier in the week, maybe that loosened the power connector(s) to the vid card, or even unseated it slightly. Could be. BUT, it was an instant thing. Everything was fine after the sound card up until I put disc 1 of FSX into the DVD tray. After the FSX install I went to just race a second to make sure all was ok before I was going to install add-ons, and I immediately noticed the difference. I'll check the video card first thing in the morning. I'm done for now. Vsync I've been experimenting with, and with good results except for this anamoly. I thought that might fix it too.

Thanks for those suggestions guys. Really appreciate it. Although the vid card definitely can get warm, temps have been fine and it's sitting in an Antec 900 with four fans and very good ventilation and air flow. It also get these symptoms right at start up and when everything's cool. But, I'll double check and maybe turn up the fan near the video card just to make sure. I did put a sound card in earlier in the week, maybe that loosened the power connector(s) to the vid card, or even unseated it slightly. Could be. BUT, it was an instant thing. Everything was fine after the sound card up until I put disc 1 of FSX into the DVD tray. After the FSX install I went to just race a second to make sure all was ok before I was going to install add-ons, and I immediately noticed the difference. I'll check the video card first thing in the morning. I'm done for now. Vsync I've been experimenting with, and with good results except for this anamoly. I thought that might fix it too.
Did your troubles appear after you installed the sound card? I wonder if there isn't an interaction between your audio and your gpu/screen. If you had PowerStrip installed you could change PCI latency for your sound card and see if that had any effects. You did a bunch of changes following NickN's guide? Did your troubles appears after that?Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X