Sign in to follow this  
victorwest2

Upgraded to 7900GT....What Next to upgrade?

You know how it is (or maybe you don't!). You start off with thoughts of just upgrading one item and then you start to think "Well, maybe I could upgrade something else at the same time.". I've swapped my 7900GT 256MB for a 9600GT 512MB and the "upgrade" itch might need more scratching again! CPU is E6600 which is ok I think. As far as I can remember my motherboard Asus PW5 Deluxe can go up to a quad core CPU but I think that can wait. I currently have 2GB of DDR2 RAM. I had a look earlier today and an extra 2GB seemed very cheap. Perhaps the type I looked at wasn't very fast though. I can't remember. Then there's the OS. Currently on XP. What's the latest concensus (LOL!! concensus for anything to do with FS?!) regarding Vista as of mid Feb 2009? Then again isn't Windows 7 due out at some point in the near/middle/distant future.

You know how it is (or maybe you don't!). You start off with thoughts of just upgrading one item and then you start to think "Well, maybe I could upgrade something else at the same time.". I've swapped my 7900GT 256MB for a 9600GT 512MB and the "upgrade" itch might need more scratching again! CPU is E6600 which is ok I think. As far as I can remember my motherboard Asus PW5 Deluxe can go up to a quad core CPU but I think that can wait. I currently have 2GB of DDR2 RAM. I had a look earlier today and an extra 2GB seemed very cheap. Perhaps the type I looked at wasn't very fast though. I can't remember. Then there's the OS. Currently on XP. What's the latest concensus (LOL!! concensus for anything to do with FS?!) regarding Vista as of mid Feb 2009? Then again isn't Windows 7 due out at some point in the near/middle/distant future.
Depends on what you are trying to achieve... more memory or Vista will not buy you anything performance wise...Why not just go fly?

Bert

Depends on what you are trying to achieve... more memory or Vista will not buy you anything performance wise...Why not just go fly?
Fly? And there was me thinking that it was all about the tweaking and upgrading! :( What am I trying to achieve? Prob the same as anybody else that upgrades. :(