Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Chew

C172 engine mystery

Hi All,My wife bought me a Cessna avionics panel from Desktop Aviator for Christmas. It worked great in FS9, but I'm unable to get the engine to turn over in FSX. The panel, shown below, allows you to set magnetos to off, left, right, both and start with a rotary knob.2.jpgI've assigned the magneto settings under FSUIPC as instructed, but under FSX the engine doesn't start when I turn the dial to "Start." The prop spins, but it sputters out after a second or so.As the prop does turn, I know it's not a problem with the panel. I suspect that another knob or switch in the 172 VC is in the wrong position, preventing the engine from turning over, but I don't know what it would be.Before I turn the ignition, I set the master switch to on, mixture to rich, throttle 1/4 in, and avionics switch to off.Any ideas of what I'd need to switch (or unswitch) in the VC to get my C172 running?

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Hi All,My wife bought me a Cessna avionics panel from Desktop Aviator for Christmas. It worked great in FS9, but I'm unable to get the engine to turn over in FSX. The panel, shown below, allows you to set magnetos to off, left, right, both and start with a rotary knob.2.jpgI've assigned the magneto settings under FSUIPC as instructed, but under FSX the engine doesn't start when I turn the dial to "Start." The prop spins, but it sputters out after a second or so.As the prop does turn, I know it's not a problem with the panel. I suspect that another knob or switch in the 172 VC is in the wrong position, preventing the engine from turning over, but I don't know what it would be.Before I turn the ignition, I set the master switch to on, mixture to rich, throttle 1/4 in, and avionics switch to off.Any ideas of what I'd need to switch (or unswitch) in the VC to get my C172 running?
Just guessing here. Turn on the fuel?

Go through the checklist before starting the C172 (ALT > Help > Keyboard Assignments > Checklist) and remember:

• Check fuel and payload. No fuel = No ignition :( :(
  • Make sure your alternator is on.
  • Set fuel mixture to full rich.
  • Set throttle to 100% (With engine off)
  • Turn on the fuel pump(s) for about 3 seconds to prime the engine.
  • Cut the fuel mixture after and set throttle at 1/4 inch
  • Set magnetos to "both" before starting.
  • Start the engine and set the fuel mixture to full rich quickly, before the ignition stops.

You may have to move the fuel tank selector a few times before the ignition will ignite the fuel, I encounter this glitch a lot. I know it sounds crazy, but trust me, it works for me every time (I think its due to me setting another flight as default, and I messed with the fuel controls on that flight).

Guest TPT82

I have an earlier version of the same panel and I had the same problem. Here is how I fixed it. In FSUIPC try this change: start = m+. That is the equivilent of the magneto being advance one position forward. After the engine is started, move the key back to the both position like normal and everything should work fine.This is the Readers Digest version. If I did not make myself clear enough, I will post step by step instructions.Hope this helps you.Nick

Thanks guys--fiddling with the fuel selector fixed the problem.

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Thanks guys--fiddling with the fuel selector fixed the problem.
Anytime :(. Enjoy your panel and your plane :(