Sign in to follow this  
Guest GWDude

Security overkill

Guest GWDude

What the H.. is it with all the security overkill. First, I can not get in with my old login. I try to get the pw through email. No such luck. I then re-register, put in name, pw, and computer generated code. Then I receive a computer generated pw which I plug in. Next I have to go to email to authenticate, which I do. Then I go to login again. No such user. Finally I try again and finally get in. This is more f...n security than my own bank or online stock account. Are you afraid I will download a billion dollar keyword? When do I have to stand on my head?

What the H.. is it with all the security overkill. First, I can not get in with my old login. I try to get the pw through email. No such luck. I then re-register, put in name, pw, and computer generated code. Then I receive a computer generated pw which I plug in. Next I have to go to email to authenticate, which I do. Then I go to login again. No such user. Finally I try again and finally get in. This is more f...n security than my own bank or online stock account. Are you afraid I will download a billion dollar keyword? When do I have to stand on my head?
Do not know what problems you had, I just set up a new account in about five minutes or less. Hell after what happened I think you would understand the need for security. Lighten up a little.

Did you get the question about the name of your first born child? You didn't? Damn... need to go back and fix that. :( Seriously, we have been struggling with some system configurations and it seems you probably got caught up in the middle of those alterations. Our apologies for that!

My definition of security overkill is loading up a fourth magazine to pump into a certain hacker's carcass... :( But that's just me (dreaming out loud again).CheerioBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest pilotex2
I understand the frustration that these things can cause...But come on mate the forums just got back from a fatal hacker attack...we can perhaps be a bit supportive to AVSIM and appreciate their efforts. I am sure they will fix these issues as soon as they can. :( Best Regards,

I managed to log in (first try) without a new registration.I will be watching for an anomaly I was experiencing while typing apostrophes though. I don't know if it was something about the "Add Reply" form or something accidentally set in Firefox (it's cleared up for now). Every time I typed an apostrophe a bar with "Quick Find (Links only)" and a text entry box would appear (insertion cursor moved to the new entry box). To further complicate things when I used the backspace key to erase a mistyped character the browser went back to the previous page (that has cleared up for now as well). Again I don't know if those anomalies are the result of the site's scripts, data packets that got corrupted en route from the server to my computer or some errant keystroke I made while operating my browser.

As far as I am concerned everything goes well. I had no problem login in with my former identifier and password and can read and write in the forum without any problems too... :(Claude-Paris

Guest Ikaruspilot

Some people moan about anything and everything without being aware of what has been happening around them!!!After the hacker completed his/her attack I am completely amazed that I can now get into the forums again after a relatively short period of time.Thank you Avsim staff et al for a magnificent effort.

Guest Chairborne

GW: How idiotic. Why are you moaning if you got in? I'd expect this in Tom's e-mail inbox instead of here on the forums for all and sundry to read. What's your feeble point? You clearly define the line between idiocy and intelligence, hands down. Put on your big-boy pants, grow a pair and come back with something a little more decent and constructive to say, GW. You don't have to ingratiate yourself, but do grow up and be more considerate. After all, this *is* a free site, monetarily. As far as your 'free speech'? That kind of freedom isn't free. Think about it.

Just so you all know, we truly haven't reached the point of security overkill yet. That point comes when the minimum Password length is 42 characters with at least 9 numbers and 8 upper case letters and 4 symbols, in other words, you have to create the kinds of passwords the most paranoid people at the NSA would make....

Guest LSflyguy

Unless there's a glitch in the date, the original post by GW appears to have been made way back in February, and would appear not to be related to the recent hacker recovery process. Regardless of the date, it still strikes me as pretty rude. As for my own post-recovery experience, the forums accepted my old username and password on the first attempt. It's nothing short of incredible that AVSIM's staff have managed to recover so much, so well, in so little time. Here's a big BRAVO ZULU to you guys for all your hard work!!! - Lee

As for my own post-recovery experience, the forums accepted my old username and password on the first attempt. It's nothing short of incredible that AVSIM's staff have managed to recover so much, so well, in so little time.
Thanks Lee. Let's hope that we are as nearly successful with the library.

Anyone notice the date on the OP?22 Feb 2009!!! Way before the 'Hack' maybe other issues here.Keep up the good work guys, very informative and great site. I had no trouble opening a new account after the Forum was resurrected.

Unless there's a glitch in the date, the original post by GW appears to have been made way back in February, and would appear not to be related to the recent hacker recovery process. Regardless of the date, it still strikes me as pretty rude. As for my own post-recovery experience, the forums accepted my old username and password on the first attempt. It's nothing short of incredible that AVSIM's staff have managed to recover so much, so well, in so little time. Here's a big BRAVO ZULU to you guys for all your hard work!!! - Lee
Yes, the date does seem funny that it is February. Could it have been a system date error which occurred after the hacking? But seriously, complaining about login is strange. Security is something quite "fleeting" when it comes to computers because computers are so ridiculously easy to hack if they have weak security, that complaining about AVSIMs security is rather like complaining about a 744 flying too high at 37,000 feet over the Himalayas! (with a clearance of a good 8,000 feet to make the plane "secure" in case of sudden altitude loss... This is not over-kill but being prudent! :( ) But people like GW are the PERFECT examples of people with bad attitudes about nothing. The flightsimming hobby does not need people like GW - we are tempted to ditch them out of the 744 at 37,000 feet over Mount Everest... so they can get a taste of the "real world" when they fall flat on their face into ice and snow (and maybe even have a "close encounter" with a Yeti (abominable snowman)! I welcome more security frankly, especially to prevent future hacks.John (Can)

Yes, the date does seem funny that it is February. Could it have been a system date error which occurred after the hacking? But seriously, complaining about login is strange. Security is something quite "fleeting" when it comes to computers because computers are so ridiculously easy to hack if they have weak security, that complaining about AVSIMs security is rather like complaining about a 744 flying too high at 37,000 feet over the Himalayas! (with a clearance of a good 8,000 feet to make the plane "secure" in case of sudden altitude loss... This is not over-kill but being prudent! :P ) But people like GW are the PERFECT examples of people with bad attitudes about nothing. The flightsimming hobby does not need people like GW - we are tempted to ditch them out of the 744 at 37,000 feet over Mount Everest... so they can get a taste of the "real world" when they fall flat on their face into ice and snow (and maybe even have a "close encounter" with a Yeti (abominable snowman)! I welcome more security frankly, especially to prevent future hacks.John (Can)
I do agree with you John. There is no way to accept lack of security or a lessening of it. Not only have we witnessed with the outrageous acts of the Hacker here, the damage done to thousands of hours of work from fellow members of the site but if the security was considered a second rate problem the members themselves could be exposed to damages on their own hardware or software and even as the staff of the site pointed out we could be financially hacked due to the use of our login infos which were stolen on the way. I will applause without any afterthoughts to increased security here or anywhere else.As an example to breaches to security here is what I witnessed yesterday afternoon at Lisbon Airport on my way back to Paris.I was flying on the Air France Flight taking off at 6:30 pm. Waiting in line at the taxfree shop, before me a passenger loaded in a cabin suitcase something like 12 to 15 bottles of wine and other alcohols + some food and a few other presents. Moreover he had a laptop + an another hand luggage.On european flights there is no such thing as 1st class ; You can buy a ticket which will enable you to be in the fore cabin (rows 1 to 8 on the flight I was) for an extra price, this will also grant you a more elaborate meal and free alcohols on board. But the seats are the same as in the eco cabin.As far as cabin luggage weight is considered, they should not exceed 18kgs (or roughly 39.6 lbs) in total. I checked the AF site to be sure. And this is the allowance for 1st class on international flights and probably long hauls!To make a long story short, it is obvious that the passenger boarded with hand luggage exceeding well above the above limit. NO ONE CHECKED! :( The employee at the shop did not even warned the passenger of the possible consequences of his behaviour. :( If all of the 128 passengers of the Airbus 321 were behaving like that what would happen of the structure of the overhead bins? Probably they would collapse under the extra weight.This is an example of lessening security in a company which has recently as we all know encoutered a major and horrible crash. Let's be clear, I don't say that AF is considering security as second rate, this would be a huge lie.We all know that AF is considered to be one of the safest airline in the world and this is not stupid nationalism on my part. What I say is that something should be done to prevent such behaviour as the one of the passenger I witnessed who probably pretends himself to be above rules because he paid an extra price for his fare.So to come back to the point exposed here, yes security should be increased on the site if necessary to prevent the renewal of what happened and protect us members of the damaging consequences of acts done by irresponsible lunatics like the one who put the site down a month ago.And yes Bravo to AVSIM team and directors for their incredible work to put it back online in such a short time. :( :o Claude from Paris France