Sign in to follow this  
Guest pez_man

Why the 7 in 727,737 et.c. does anybody know?

Guest pez_man

Hi!I'm just curious, does anyone know where the 7 in Boeing's model-designations come from? Or for that matter the 3 in Airbus? Would be fun to know!ciao! /fredrik ESGG

Guest ba747heavy

What I want to know is how Boeing got B737 or B777, the B in that just throws me off. Same with the Airbus series, anyone know why they have an 'A' in the name?:-hmmm :-hmmm :-hmmm:) :D :-lol :-shy }( :-roll:-outta

Guest Marvel

yes it's B for Boeing and as in Airbus, as far as I know it is originated from the first version of Airbus plane the Airbus A300 having 300 means it is designed for 300 passengers. And I think the trend just continues that way throught 310,320,319,321,340,380 3XX which doesn't relate to number of passenger anymore.MarvelVTBD

Guest ba747heavy

That was a joke fellas, of course I knew what the B and the A were for.

I saw that one comming from a mile away Fred :) :) :)[h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG @ 215/545|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Guest ba747heavy

:-lol I hoped I had made it that obvious, but with the two responses previous to my second reponse, I wasn't so sure :)

Guest panzerschiffe

7's a lucky number in the US, that's why.

Here's a quote from The 727 Scrapbook by Len and Terry Morgan:"It could as ealizly have been the 726 or 728. Seven-Twenty-Seven it became by chance...realizing that piston-powered transport had reached its zenitth, they earlier had begun studies to improve Model 367, military version of Model 377, the double-decked Stratocruiser. Eventually the eightieth configuration fo Model 367 was approved..It was a large four-jet...The brand new airplane deserved a brand new identity so the 700 series of model numbers was selected...Thus, the first production copy of 367-80 was stamped "707"...Boeing introduced the 707 as the Jet Stratoliner, but it never caught on with the press or public. The 720, 727, 747, and 737 came out by the numbers."Hopefully that explains some of the history. Anyone who likes the 727 should be sure to check out that book; it's out of print but you can get it at Amazon or BN.com! -MarcMarc Gibsonhttp://www.freewebs.com/flightsimcfi/http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Guest bjjones

The 700's numbers were assigned to Boeing commercial jet aircraft. I cannot find the list, but for example 600s were for missiles, 800s for satelites, 900 for helicoptors. There was a list of them available on the boeing website but it's not there anymore.As for aibus the A simply came about by the fact that their first production aircraft was the A300 and it simply meant Airbus with 300 seats. Airbus subsequently kept the A3xx title, going up in steps, much like Boeing.

Guest pez_man

Wow, thanks for all the answers. We learn a bit more each day! :D/fredrik