Sign in to follow this  
BobP

Vista 32 bit to Vista 64

See the following link:http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/archive/2.../07/461950.aspx ...It is now very simple and straightforward: an OEM license must be sold "only with a fully assembled computer system... ...it must also be preinstalled on the fully assembled computer system that it is being sold with...The fact that no hardware is mentioned proves that it is being sold in breach of the licence agreement.Let me reply to your question with another one:"Why should you pay anything for a flight simulator pay-ware add-on when you can get it free from a pirate website?"
So why isn't Microsoft telling Amazon to vet the purchsers of OEM software to make sure the are purchasing a computer system with said software, OR enforcing that Amazon sell the software WITH a computer system? Simple, Microsoft wants to sell Vista. They're not really that bothered. The software is legal, and its a sale.On another tangent, Microsoft wouldnt let Amazon sell Pirate Software, and Amazon wouldn't sell illegal or pirate software (you're defining the OEM software as pirate or illegal - no one else is). As I've said, and I repeat again, OEM software has been sold like this by the major retailers for YEARS.Geez.

Guest JeanLuc_
it must also be preinstalled on the fully assembled computer system that it is being sold with...
So what if you purchase the OEM license and install it on your computer, and then you sell this computer to yourself for 1 cent? Can't anyone be a computer system assembler for someone else, hence the reason it is legal to sell and purchase these OEM licenses? Say I make a computer for my mother, and I purchase these elements. Then I assemble and sell it for 1 cent to her. It is selling a fully assembler computer system isn't it?I've so far purchased my PC with pre-installed licenses, but since I'm considering building one instead this time around, the topic sparkled my interest.

So what if you purchase the OEM license and install it on your computer, and then you sell this computer to yourself for 1 cent? Can't anyone be a computer system assembler for someone else, hence the reason it is legal to sell and purchase these OEM licenses? Say I make a computer for my mother, and I purchase these elements. Then I assemble and sell it for 1 cent to her. It is selling a fully assembler computer system isn't it?
Exactly. :(

So what if you purchase the OEM license and install it on your computer, and then you sell this computer to yourself for 1 cent? Can't anyone be a computer system assembler for someone else, hence the reason it is legal to sell and purchase these OEM licenses? Say I make a computer for my mother, and I purchase these elements. Then I assemble and sell it for 1 cent to her. It is selling a fully assembler computer system isn't it?
Nothing is wrong with that provided that the licence was brought from from Microsoft or an authorised distributor.Once the licence has been sold to a 3rd party then the licence terms apply. The 3rd party cannot sell the licence on without installing it on a computer system. I suspect that few of these copies are coming direct from Microsoft or its sellers in which case the sellers are in breach of the licence conditions."Also, when acquiring Microsoft OEM software (such as OEM Microsoft Office 2003, Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Home, Windows SBS 2003, etc.), be sure you purchase the OEM software through an authorized OEM distributor (see the list at: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/authdist/default.mspx) as this is the only way to ensure you are purchasing legitimate OEM Microsoft software." (My emphasis.)http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/archive/2.../07/461950.aspxThe link shows that there are only 7 authorised Microsoft OEM Distributors in the US and 8 in the UK. Neither the seller in the link above (CosmoGadget) nor the seller on Amazon (Tiger Direct) are on that listhttp://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Sy...N/dp/B000JTFVMETherefore there is no guarantee that they are providing legimate software.

Therefore there is no guarantee that they are providing legimate software.
Just%20Kidding.gifGuys - this guy's determined to spend as much as possible on his OS software, and that's his lookout, it's his money. He's the only one gnashing his teeth here.Purchase your OEM software with confidence, through somone reputeable such as Amazon, and you won't have any issues at all.It's been sold this way for YEARS and will continue to be.

Just%20Kidding.gifGuys - this guy's determined to spend as much as possible on his OS software, and that's his lookout, it's his money. He's the only one gnashing his teeth here.Purchase your OEM software with confidence, through somone reputeable such as Amazon, and you won't have any issues at all.It's been sold this way for YEARS and will continue to be.
You still believe that this software is legitimate?

Frankly , I don't care. Regardless of your interpretation, it appears the OEM path has been followed by 1000's of users, for many years. My purpose is to eliminate (or greatly reduce) the OOM errors (MS broke it) when using FSX, not resell it at local flea market.Bob..

Yes, I do. It's not stolen, or copied. It's not for sale for $5.00 on ebay with a hand written label.A genuine MS disc in genuine MS packaging, with license and product key.Microsoft regularly spot check vendors selling their software. I'm sure a big vendor like Amazon whether directly, or indirectly (through one of their marketplace shops/vendors) would regularly be checked. MS would waste no time hauling them over the coals if they were doing anything illegal.

Yes, I do. It's not stolen, or copied. It's not for sale for $5.00 on ebay with a hand written label.A genuine MS disc in genuine MS packaging, with license and product key.Microsoft regularly spot check vendors selling their software. I'm sure a big vendor like Amazon whether directly, or indirectly (through one of their marketplace shops/vendors) would regularly be checked. MS would waste no time hauling them over the coals if they were doing anything illegal.
One last time.Microsoft and its authorised distributors supply System Builder software to 3rd parties under a licence that says it may only be sold with a computer system.Any copy bought from a 3rd party without a computer system is being sold in breach of the licence and is therefore not legitimate. No one can legitimately sell something they're not entitled to sell.

One last time: Do you see Microsoft kicking up a fuss about it? No. Unless Microsoft considers there to be a licensing breach (which they don't, obviously), and reprimands the vendor accordingly, people will continue to buy OEM software from these vendors just as they have done for YEARRRRRSSSSSSS!The end. :(

One last time: Do you see Microsoft kicking up a fuss about it? No. Unless Microsoft considers there to be a licensing breach (which they don't, obviously), and reprimands the vendor accordingly, people will continue to buy OEM software from these vendors just as they have done for YEARRRRRSSSSSSS!The end. :(
I note you can't/won't address the substntive issue.Microsoft has mo re important licencing breaches to worry about."People will continue to steal things just as they have done for YEARRRRRSSSSSSS"

I note you can't/won't address the substntive issue.
It's only substantive to you, as I've said, you're the only one gnashing your teeth over it.I vote we agree to disagree on this. Our OEM tennis match has gone way off the original topic, and is serving no purpose other than eventually as another thread for the mods to lock.The OP has stated they will buy the OEM software no matter what the opinion.With that I say, "Over and out."

I purchased my OEM Vista Ultimate 64-bit from Newegg.com with no issues. It also authenticated just fine. The gist I got of the license was to the effect that I don't have access to support the way a retail purchaser would get. No problem.Also beware that there is no "upgrade" from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS; you'll need to do a clean install no matter what.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I purchased my OEM Vista Ultimate 64-bit from Newegg.com with no issues. It also authenticated just fine. The gist I got of the license was to the effect that I don't have access to support the way a retail purchaser would get. No problem.Also beware that there is no "upgrade" from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS; you'll need to do a clean install no matter what.
Well, I'm going to burn in hell for sure. I just ordered the Vista Home Premium SP1 64bit from New Egg for $99.00. They have a $10 discount now. The PMDG MD11 is a magnificant airplane and the OOM errors are killing me. Hopefully this will reduce them. Thanks everyone!Bob... :)

Guest jkvato

My understanding about buying Microsoft OEM software is that you can install it on one system. If you try to overhaul said system, you'll have to convince Microsoft activation people on the phone to activate it on your new configuration. I think the main thing is the motherboard. Apparently if you change your mobo, they consider it a new system, and they won't want to activate it unless you convince them that the original OEM mobo died and it's being replaced, and even then you may not succeed. Upgrading one or two components, such as HD, video, etc. may not be problematic, from what I understand.But, I've only read about such things, and can't speak from my own experience. I understand that it's a lot easier to transfer retail software to a new rig (or overhauled rig) than OEM.