Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

File Library Down Again?

Is the library down again? I've been trying to access it since about 3PM EST and all I'm getting is the Google 404 not found error . . .Thanks,

I just tried 30 seconds ago and am experiencing the same problem.

You only needed to post 1 topic about the library down not 20 (or how ever many you posted)
It was 24. :(

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

You only needed to post 1 topic about the library down not 20 (or how ever many you posted)Now back to the subject, I thought when avsim upgraded the servers a few months ago the server would not be going down so often?

We have requested a power recycle. Please be patient. We obviously have kernal issues and are working on them.

We have requested a power recycle. Please be patient. We obviously have kernal issues and are working on them.
Question (and I hope you don't mind me asking). What is a power recycle, and what are kernal issues?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Question (and I hope you don't mind me asking). What is a power recycle, and what are kernal issues?
The kernal is basically the operating system, and a power recycle is a hard reboot; that is, we have the tech turn off the server, take a deep breath, and then power it back on (every time we do that, we also take a deep breath and cross every appendage in the hope that something doesn't go haywire).

On average how long does a hard reboot take? Last week when the server was down it was down for like 12 hours (I don't know excatly how long it was down). Was that a normal time or does a hard reboot usually take less time?

On average how long does a hard reboot take? Last week when the server was down it was down for like 12 hours (I don't know excatly how long it was down). Was that a normal time or does a hard reboot usually take less time?
It should have been up and running by now, but it isn't. We have a "crash cart" tied up to the system now, looking at where the reboot is failing. It could be a while.

Folks, The file library is down and we do not expect to get it online before Monday morning EST. We seem to have a kernel issue that needs some significant work to resolve. Please bear with us as we try to get this fixed and our system back online.

Folks, The file library is down and we do not expect to get it online before Monday morning EST. We seem to have a kernel issue that needs some significant work to resolve. Please bear with us as we try to get this fixed and our system back online.
Take your time.Also, might I suggest that you let us know next time about the file library going down (provided you are aware of it, of course), so that we don't get, like, 24 threads asking if it went down. Just a suggestion, of course. Your choice to do what you want.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Take your time.Also, might I suggest that you let us know next time about the file library going down (provided you are aware of it, of course), so that we don't get, like, 24 threads asking if it went down. Just a suggestion, of course. Your choice to do what you want.
Well, if we could predict it, we would be proactive in solving the problem before it happened and therefore would not have to give you notice. Once we do learn of a failure, we do let everyone know as soon as we can (remember, we are not here 24X7). But, we have to know about it before we can announce it and once we do, you will be the first to know. As for the 24 posts from the same person on the subject, yeah, that was not too swift.

Well, if we could predict it, we would be proactive in solving the problem before it happened and therefore would not have to give you notice. Once we do learn of a failure, we do let everyone know as soon as we can (remember, we are not here 24X7). But, we have to know about it before we can announce it and once we do, you will be the first to know. As for the 24 posts from the same person on the subject, yeah, that was not too swift.
Oh, whoops. Failure. Okay, I see now. I thought it was just a reboot, in which case, I would have thought you'd have known about it. Didn't know it was any worse than that. My bad.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

The kernal is basically the operating system, and a power recycle is a hard reboot; that is, we have the tech turn off the server, take a deep breath, and then power it back on (every time we do that, we also take a deep breath and cross every appendage in the hope that something doesn't go haywire).
Yep, from my modest tech knowledge, servers don't like being powered down all that much since they're designed to run continuously. Ideally when done would be to have the cooling system continue keeping the hardware cool and to prevent a situation of thermal runaway when powered up again. But in most situations in a typical temperature controlled server room this is then less of an issue.Thanks for the update Tom! :)All the best,Philip.

I just tried 30 seconds ago and am experiencing the same problem.It was 24. :(
My apologies to the forum, AVSIM and all of it's members -- the multiple posts were due to an error somewhere. I posted the original message and then shut my computer down and wen't to watch a movie with my wife and have no idea what happened. I have been in contact with Tom about this and hopefully it will not happen again -- neither one of us can explain what happened, but I assure you if it was my fault, it was completely unintentional!Again, my apologies -- I was genuinely just trying to be helpful and would never do anything to harm or hinder AVSIM. I owe you guys WAYYYY too much.Chuck B.