Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

File Library Down Again?

Tom,If I may, and it's probably mentioned before, but as a long-time fan and user of Avsim's services, I've noticed an increase of library downtime in the past year and definately a decrease of download speed. With the ever increasing file sizes, this become more and more of a problem.Is this "just" a funding problem for the file servers? If so, a idea might be to look into the "Flightsim.com" solution, where there is a somewhat limited (download speed mainly) free service and there is a paid solution where people at a yearly fee have a greater bandwidth available.Best regards,Frank

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Tom,If I may, and it's probably mentioned before, but as a long-time fan and user of Avsim's services, I've noticed an increase of library downtime in the past year and definately a decrease of download speed. With the ever increasing file sizes, this become more and more of a problem.Is this "just" a funding problem for the file servers? If so, a idea might be to look into the "Flightsim.com" solution, where there is a somewhat limited (download speed mainly) free service and there is a paid solution where people at a yearly fee have a greater bandwidth available.Best regards,Frank
Hi Frank,AVSIM takes a lot of pride in the fact that we have never charged for service and do not intend to ever step in that direction. Our free service is partly what makes us so unique in my opinion than other FS websites. Sure we may have a few slips here and there, but those should be expected with any super site that delivers mass quantities of bandwidth on a day to day basis. We are in the process of increasing our capabilities even further, but as always we ask that our very supportive community (the people that make our website possible) to remain patient as the end result will be much worth waiting for.

Also, might I suggest that you let us know next time about the file library going down (provided you are aware of it, of course), so that we don't get, like, 24 threads asking if it went down. Just a suggestion, of course. Your choice to do what you want.
Absolute genius Kevin, you've excelled yourself with this comment.Avsim is a free service and we have no right to expect the kind of service you get when you pay for it (I will say thought that with Avsim that's exactly what you do get, Kudos giys). So the site goes down for a few hours, let's get a life and do something else instead of moaning. It'll be back when it's ready.Moan over.

Hi Frank,AVSIM takes a lot of pride in the fact that we have never charged for service and do not intend to ever step in that direction. Our free service is partly what makes us so unique in my opinion than other FS websites. Sure we may have a few slips here and there, but those should be expected with any super site that delivers mass quantities of bandwidth on a day to day basis. We are in the process of increasing our capabilities even further, but as always we ask that our very supportive community (the people that make our website possible) to remain patient as the end result will be much worth waiting for.
Hi Chase,Fully understood and fully happy with it :-)Avsim remains my No.1 FS website and I'll be happy to continu making donations every now and then.Regards,Frank

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Absolute genius Kevin, you've excelled yourself with this comment.Avsim is a free service and we have no right to expect the kind of service you get when you pay for it (I will say thought that with Avsim that's exactly what you do get, Kudos giys). So the site goes down for a few hours, let's get a life and do something else instead of moaning. It'll be back when it's ready.Moan over.
Well, it was a simple suggestion, and it was completely unnecessary to shoot me down for it. This was something I stated after seeing 24 threads of "File Library Down Again?". That's right. Twenty-four. Again, it was a suggestion. If they want to take that suggestion, fine. If not, I really don't care.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.