Sign in to follow this  
Guest intogamer

Who has the best C152 (payware or freeware)

Cessnaflyer wrote:Are we certain of this? I was under the impression that the Carenado C152 was brand-new for FSX and FS2004. It's certainly not priced like a warmed over 2002 model. I realize that's not a sure fire way to tell but usually the 2002 models are $10 - $17 and the new ones are $25 and up.Cheers..............Todd
The Carenado C152 that is being offered now by the developer is only a couple of months old. I believe the Flight1 Model has been in the "field" for a longer period of time.Tom

Hi Like you , I`m keen to have a nice 152 as that is the aircraft I have real hours on, along with the Tomahawk.Don`t go for the Flight 1 C152, it is pretty old now (made for FS2002/4) and has some strange yaw behaviour (IMHO). I think there were 3 or 4 service packs for it (including one which specifically mentioned yaw changes in the release notes) but it never felt right to me. The carenado a/c is not very old at all. It is nice to look at (both panel and external) but I wasn`t that comfortable with the handling.The French freeware 150 I reckon flies the best but has no 2D main panel, though the vc pretty good. It has nice sound too - a smooth burr when climbing out. My 152 consists of the carenado 2d panel matched with the freeware aerobat. I have dual monitors so use the 2d carenado panel is on the 2nd screen with the outside view over the glareshield of the 150. Ok I have to ignore the flap position indicator in the port door pillar in the vc but its a small price to fly for a nice flight model.Cheers James

Guest Tingoose

I've been flying the freeware C150 more and more, and am thinking now that it is as good as, if not better, than the F1 C152. The fact that it has no 2d cockpit is not a problem for me as in GA flying I always fly in VC mode. It must rank as one of the best freeware GA aircraft ever. It certainly is a great adjunct to RW flight training.

I haven't flown the Carenado 152, but the Flight1 model was pretty good. Granted I've only had 16 hours of time shared amongst the 150 and 152 in the real world. If I could find my logbook, I'd break down those hours more just as a caveat, unfortunately I misplaced it somewhere in the 3 years I haven't flown and hope to find it when I pack to move in a few months. The Carenado model looks much, much nicer but I haven't bought it yet, and even if I did, it's been close to 10 years since I flew the 152 in the real-world. You might be able to marry the model of the Carenado bird and airfile and elements of the cfg to the Flight1 bird if you find the Carenado to not feel right.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest EoinCoates

Well I fly the Cessna 150 in the Real-World and my reccomendation is the Carenado. The 2D cockpit is'nt great but the VC is amazing and so detailed!! So my reccomendation is the Carenado!

I've been flying the French C-150 since hearing about it in this thread and I must say I like it a lot! Very impressive in the detailing especially for a freeware aircraft. One thing I have noticed though is that the magnetic compass is backwards. Has anyone else noticed this on their machines or is it somehow only on mine? I looked through the panels and gauges in my setup and can find no sign of it anywhere. I fear it's in the model file somewhere. Has anyone had any experience with this? Cheers.................Todd

Sorry, I didn't explain the situation very well. The compass does read accurately. No problems with that. But the compass card rotates the wrong direction. And so the markings on the card are backwards. IOW when you are on a heading of 1-8-0, 1-5-0 should be on the right and 2-1-0 should be on the left. So if your desired course is to the right of the lubber line you need to make a turn to the left to get back on course. But with the C-150 it's backwards.Cheers.......................Todd

Sorry, I didn't explain the situation very well. The compass does read accurately. No problems with that. But the compass card rotates the wrong direction. And so the markings on the card are backwards. IOW when you are on a heading of 1-8-0, 1-5-0 should be on the right and 2-1-0 should be on the left. So if your desired course is to the right of the lubber line you need to make a turn to the left to get back on course. But with the C-150 it's backwards.Cheers.......................Todd
hi, I see your point but maybe it is the way some magnetic compass are designed. It is not a problem though because when flying you should use the heading indicator which takes avantage of the gyroscopic effect and is therefore more accurate. The magnetic compass is only used in order to correct the heading indicator drift approximately every 15 minutes. I think that there is a more confusing problem with attitude indicators because some models have a banking scale which moves in the same direction as the banking direction and other models move in the opposite direction of the banking. When you transition from one model to the other it is very, very confusing. The french C152 is great except for the cockpit window which is not transparent enough IMHO. I had to modify the alpha channel to make it more transparent.Cheers

I do have the Carenado C152 and it is really awesome! A lot of work has been put into this model and they have got it 100% right. It fly's and sounds just like it's real world counterpart but, I warn you, it's addictive ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

That's right. RealAir are masters of accurate flight models and you can download a freeware package that converts the default C172 into a a C172 with an excellent flight model with which you can practise spin/stall recovery with some semblance to the real thing. Highly recommended. The flight 1 C152 has been around awhile but remains a superbly flight model-equipped addon.Comments on the Carenado flight model by any owner appreciated. . . anyone?edited for spelling.
Thank you very much for this!! I had been searching around for a while to improve the default 172, how did I miss this, it's exactly what I was looking for!! :( Coupled with the TSS sound package, flying this default C172 will be much more fun.Now off to find some nice repaints :( I also checked out the freeware C150, very good indeed, but I discarded it as I only fly in 2D panel.Thanks again and happy landings.

I do have the Carenado C152 and it is really awesome! A lot of work has been put into this model and they have got it 100% right. It fly's and sounds just like it's real world counterpart but, I warn you, it's addictive ;)
Flight handing on Carenado C152:Not sure about this, Dave, I have 40+hrs in C152's (at EGHD) and find this model has the following bugs:1. The touch of right hand rudder needed on T/O continues into flight - constant drift to left, even with no weather, calibrated controls etc.2. Trim guage in VC all wrong - T/O needs much higher nose up than real aircraft. If you set the trim to 'Take off' in the VC you'll need masses of back pressure to keep the nose up in the climb.2. Climb at F/T should give 65kts at around 500 -700 f/m with pilot only and 60% fuel, depending on weather etc. This one shoots up!3. Cruise should be at c2200 rpm at 90 kts - the model need almost full throttle for 90kts.4. Stability mentioned elsewhere in the forums - some tweaks possible, but it's still twitchy.5. Stall characteristics: clean stall doesn't happen - its possible to fly at 40kts pitch up and never fall out of the sky! Stall in approach configuration similarly too stable.6. Descent - like a stone - at 1700rmp and two stages of flap you should get 700 fpm and 70kts. This should come back to 65kts at full flaps and idle over the threshold. the model needs almost full throttle with 2 stages of flaps to keep in on the decent profile.I agree with other posts - very pretty VC (although glitches as posted elsewhere), sound set close to the original, but the handling lets it down. Pity...back to the Flying Club C152 - almost spot on this one...