Sign in to follow this  

Anyone lookin for a nice laptop, $749. brand new at BestBuy Mobile AMD Athlon

Guest Max Cowgill

::drool:: me want... That would be great for when I go off to school in a couple months! Too bad I have to spend $3000 fixing my car and then save up another $5000 just to be able to go to school. Anybody wanna buy me a laptop? ;)-Max Cowgill

You are lucky to find hardware at that price. here in the UK that would be

$699. now, best buy increased thier mail in rebate to $150. this week according to the new weekly ad. $949. out the door - $150. best buy mail in rebate - $100. compaq mail in rebate = $699. Compaq Presario Notebook with Mobile AMD Athlon

Check Best Buy's web site again and notice these words next to their price:Sorry, no longer taking orders for this item. Not available for store pickup. And this is only one day after the original post. Sounds like "bait and switch" to me. A person in my office tried to purchase a computer from an add like this and on three seperate occasions he was told they were sold out. The last attempt was at opening time on the day the sale started.

Guest Max Cowgill

>You are lucky to find hardware at that price. here in the UK>that would be

Guest Max Cowgill

That's too bad... Not the first time Best Buy's done something like this either... I believe they had a fiasco last year with pre-ordered video cards being advertised at a certain price and then not being honored, if I'm not mistaken. Oh well, just one more reason not to buy hardware from retail stores!-Max Cowgill

>http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=112167...at=494&scat=495>>$749.I see $999.>http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=112151...at=494&scat=495>>$849.I see $1099.Best Buy... sometimes. Personally I haven't had a bait-and-switch experience but there's no doubt in my mind it happens, and this might be a good example.What I love is how a computer is $699 but when you read the fine print it's after some legit rebates, but lumped in with $400 of MSN or some sheet like that.Yeah - ok. One year of dial-up Microsoft service is worth $400. Riiiiiight.

You see it WRONG, no internet contract at all, they don't do that anymore. My 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Compaq laptop was $1,099. out the door in Jan. and last month I got three $100. rebate checks in the mail, 2 from best buy and one from compaq. Works out to $799.

Guest Max Cowgill

>You see it WRONG, no internet contract at all, they don't do>that anymore. My 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Compaq laptop was $1,099.>out the door in Jan. and last month I got three $100. rebate>checks in the mail, 2 from best buy and one from compaq. >Works out to $799.Assuming you even get your mail-in-rebates... I, along with many people I know who have purchased items from BB that had MIRs on them never received promise MIRs. This has happened to me on more than one occasion over the last several years. I realize this is not necessarily BB's fault, per se, as only some MIRs are offered by BB while others are from the hardware/software manufacturers themselves so BB's not totally to blame; they just get all the bad PR from it though ;)-Max Cowgill

Hi Grandtrunk,I'm not saying these prices have anything to do with the internet contract thing. Those are the advertised prices, and I don't see any mention of rebates on the links you put up - are the rebates listed somewhere else?Andrew>You see it WRONG, no internet contract at all, they don't do>that anymore. My 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Compaq laptop was $1,099.>out the door in Jan. and last month I got three $100. rebate>checks in the mail, 2 from best buy and one from compaq. >Works out to $799.

The rebate link is there, click on one of the links and than click on rebates, (click on the attachment in this post below for a picture). The internet contract thing is long over. I use cable internet, does anyone still use dial up service? I signed up for cable internet and got the cable modem free and it is still 19.95 a month, it will go up to $40. a month after the first six months, maybe if I tell them I am going to cancel and go back to dial up they will let me keep it for $19.95 a month for awhile.