Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cyon20

Rudder Control

Hi everyone!I've been watching some videos of planes landing in crosswinds and they all seem to use the rudder. I want to practice that and I need the rudder to help me. without it, landing in a crosswind is very hard. I have programmed the buttons on my joystick (has programable buttons) for the rudder yaw. It seems that the rudder works when I'm on the ground but when I'm in the air, it doesnt seem to work. Am I doing something wrong? Did I use the right rudder because there was a Rudder Trim and a Rudder Yaw (what's the difference?). Can someone help me please?Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you are going to use a pair of keys or buttons for the rudder, then it is 'rudder yaw' that you want to assign them to. Hold your hand flat out in front of you and pivot it from side to side - that's the yaw axis for an aeroplane.Rudder Trim is something else - it's a minor adjustment to the rudder to permanently set it slightly one way or the other. The typical use of rudder trim is to counteract the slight tendency for an aeroplane to turn to the side because of the effect of a spinning propeller. This is done by adjusting what is known as a 'trim tab' which is like a tiny control surface right at the back of the rudder, it is turned out slightly into the airflow and that has the effect of deflecting the rudder slightly in one direction or the other (depending on which way you adjust the rudder trim control in the cockpit).Back with your Rudder Yaw control, using buttons for the rudder is not ideal, as it is difficult, but not impossible. It's usually easier to either use add-on ruddder pedals, or to assign the twist function of a joystick to that axis (the z axis). One thing you also need to do is to make sure that in the FS realism settings, you turn off the 'autorudder' function. If you don't turn that off, your rudder yaw button assignments won't work. because FS will be working the rudder for you, which means your buttons will not work when you want them to. Check your aircraft on the external camera views when you press your rudder buttons to make sure it is moving.Might want to read this page too for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RudderHope that helps - Al

Wing down (aileron) into the wind to stop drift... Opposite Rudder to align the nose with the runway. You use too much aileron, you will start drifting into the wind... too little and of course you will drift away.I don't have rudder pedals so I use the "autorudder" feature and crab into the wind either most or all the way to landing... 99% of the time it works fine in FSX with the small planes thru turboprops.Like Chock said... Rudder Trim can be a Tab on the Rudder one (a mechanic) bends to a specific angle... normally set for cruise speed or it can be a knob that you can adjust in the cockpit that you use for the rudder (to trim off rudder pressure from one foot or the other) just as one trims off elevator pressure with elevator trim so you can be "hands free."