Sign in to follow this  
Guest rchwallace

An assumption but a post to make sure...

Guest rchwallace

Hello,I assume that Hifi is aware of the new or rather sort of new TAF format and is subsequently working on a fix with ASA. If I use FSRealTime and put myself in the air, time compression or whatever will result in a TAF generated METAR for my destination. The decoding is incorrect and it is coming up with all kinds of interesting weather.Copied below for information.Destination (KBHM): KBHM 231148Z 22500KT 32 1/2SM BKN282 M03/M07 A3053 RMK ADVANCED INTERPOLATION RMK FORCED TO DESTINATIONKBHM 230525Z 2306/2406 36005KT P6SM FEW250I am using ASA with Build 355 installed in FS9 on windows XP, though my FS version and windows version are not relevant here.Cheers

Hi Ron,Just asking:What makes you say that anything is wrong with the TAF or the METAR?Here is the TAF from NOAA:Latest Terminal Aerodrome Forecast(s) for KBHM KBHM The most recent Terminal Aerodrome Forecast from KBHM in our system was generated at the source at: 2009/02/23 11:20 UTC The observation is: TAF KBHM 231120Z 2312/2412 01006KT P6SM FEW250 Please let me know

Guest rchwallace
Hi Ron,Just asking:What makes you say that anything is wrong with the TAF or the METAR?Here is the TAF from NOAA:Latest Terminal Aerodrome Forecast(s) for KBHM KBHM The most recent Terminal Aerodrome Forecast from KBHM in our system was generated at the source at: 2009/02/23 11:20 UTC The observation is: TAF KBHM 231120Z 2312/2412 01006KT P6SM FEW250 Please let me know
Hi Jim,Thanks for the quick reply. The reason I assumed that there was an error was due to the way that the METAR was "created".Looking at the METAR from my previous post (copied below) you will notice some.... "anomalies": And before I comment on it, if this was out of the system and not created by ASA then I apologize in advance, and there is just a very keen weather person working the station there creating some interesting METAR's.KBHM 231148Z 22500KT 32 1/2SM BKN282 M03/M07 A3053 RMK ADVANCED INTERPOLATION RMK FORCED TO DESTINATIONIt is very strange to see winds reported in the 5degree range to my memory and if it is calm or 00kts then it should say winds calm. 22500KT is a very strange insert into a METAR the official documents with regards to METAR would say "wind is reported as the 3 digit true direction to the nearest 10 degrees" it should of been 00000KT.... as is the next line. Visibility of 32 1/2SM, haha, ya no. As you know it will vary but 9999 would of likely been expected here for basically greater than 10 or 20 or whatever it is. Then we have BKN282... technically the cloud base is reported to the nearest 100ft I guess but once it gets to the 3 digits I can not from memory remember a 100ft digit. It is always BKN120 or something......Anyway, when I saw this I thought it was due to the RMK ADVANCED INTERPOLATION... meaning that ASA had created it. I do apologize for it if it is not an error and is the way the program is meant to decode it and as well as stated above if in fact it was due to an actual report.As far as FS9 and how the weather was working it was fine, winds were calm and visibility was pretty much unlimited with high sirus so I am not too stressed by it, just that if it is created from ASA then it is not really "real world" in its presentation in the METAR form.That is all.... having said that I am basically very happy with ASA and have used AS for some time.... started with 4.5 or something I think. It works well.....Only recommendation or comment that I would make is with regards to changing weather in FS. I assume it would take system capacity and memory etc etc and would increase the footprint but is there any way to make it so that when it changes the weather it sort of does it gradually. I think AS6.5 did this, I never remember the weather just "changing" but with ASA I have definitely noticed clouds just changing or appearing and disappearing as a weather "synthesis" (I think) is underway.Anyway, just meant as information.Take Care

Hi Ron,Thanks for your detailed explanation! Being on many forums all day today I can say that station was reporting a bunch of strange stuff. I checked just now and the data was all correct. I suggest that it was a one time situation with the data.Using FSX there are going to be some pops that we are still working on. The release notes have more information about this.Thanks again!