Sign in to follow this  
Magic Man

FS2004 Opening a can of worms

Guest WorkingStiff

Chris,Is English your first language? I've been reading your posts and read-me files for nearly three years and I'm sure I'm not the only person who is curious to know. BTW, never argue with Luddites.

Sskoup,As an aside, I'd rather have satellite VFR scenery,(like thatfor the whole of UK), for the LAX area and maybe do without autogen.Peter Sydney Australia

>"Let's face it, the only reason anybody gets the flying>bug is because we want to "go up there" to "look down here">and watch the World go by.">This does not count for me. Sure, looking down is nice, but>being in control of a complex machine is what gave me the bug.>Scenery is important to me as it is affecting the feeling of>'being there'. However, I really got the flying bug once I>started using real weather addons. Flying over my home country>(Netherlands) for years is nice. But it gets challenging and>exciting once the weather is coming into it. And my main point of interest is the topography duplication of the Mountain West of the U.S. . Requires added mesh with some auto-gen thrown in. This is more important to me, than control of "simulated complex machines" or clouds. Not far from where I live, "looking down" certainly never gets boring! If I could do anything I want, it would be full time "outback" piloting in something like an Aviat Husky.Just over the hill..http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12794.jpgL.Adamson

>Sskoup,>As an aside, I'd rather have satellite VFR scenery,(like that>for the whole of UK), for the LAX area and maybe do without>autogen.>Peter Sydney AustraliaLAX area--- FLYII shot Satellite---- but takes a lot of HD space for small area. Also requires flying high to be sharp, but sure looks good from altitude!!http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12797.jpg

You forget something: In some circles and communities it's considered good and proper to criticise Microsoft for whatever they do without even trying to come up with valid arguments.Just say they are "bad" and produce "crap products" and you're the local hero of the day.Then there's the crowd who is trying to defend (to themselves mostly) their decision to use a pirated copy. We've all heard the argument "it should have been a patch so I'm not going to pay for it".Both are equally childish of course, and bordering on criminal intent to slander.

You're a bit different from me. with my favourite bands I'm going to buy their albums ESPECIALLY if the critics say they're bad. Might be because the critics are usually negative about my favourite bands and don't agree with my likes and dislikes :-lolSame with movies...Much the same with software.

>sim, thanks to the 3rd party add-ons, but is M$ gonna revamp>this game into the ground like they did CFS? Whats next>MSFS2005 or 6?If Microsoft pays attention to the whines and complaints even before the release they'll give up and stop creating new flightsim versions but rather concentrate on the next revolution in first person shooters like Sierra...and IF they do release a completely new version with everything redone you people will be among the first to cry foul because the new engine will no longer allow you to use any of your addons for previous versions and the cost for addon manufacturers to port them will be too high to give you a free upgrade.

For L. Adamsom,I too have the L.A. add-on for Fly 2. Isn't it great. Since I live in Southern California I'm familiar with most of the landmarks i.e. Hollywook Park. While the cloud lovers want realistic clouds I want scenery that I recognize. That's why I have to divide my simming time between Fly 2, FUIII, and FS2002 (also FS98 with my real photographic San Diego scenery add-on). The San Diego add-on was patched to work with FS2002 but not as well as FS98 for which it was designed.With Fry's Electronics offering a 200gb HD for $139 I don't feel that a few gb's for scenery storage would be a great cost. Instead of High Detail areas that approximate the real scenery I think it's time for a few cities done in real photographic scenery.Sskoup

What is it with some people?FS2004/COF DOES add new features - if you want to buy it do (I will :D), if you don't then don't, simple as that. But don't keep going on about how much of a rip off it is or that you should be getting this and that as a free upgrade.And as for those moaning about new features demanding more processing power... please, going by that argument you should still be looking at a monochrome display with a lot of wire frame everywhere.The demand for world wide photographic scenery is also quite amusing, especially the reference to MS Terraserver - ergh, why do you think the 'terra' bit is there for? And what about lighting, night textures, season changes - I suppose you want them too? And the request for just a few cities to be done that just happens to be your area is fair is it? There are other people around the world that might not share your choice of locations... The repeated reference to FUIII scenery is also a bit out of place since that was all the scenery you could have.Just see FS2004/COF on the shelf in the same way as you see any other FS addon. If you like the extra features on the box for the money then get it - if you don't then leave it there. You're FS2002 installation is not going to suddenly self destruct the day it's successor is released...MM