Sign in to follow this  
MeatWater

MeatWater Radar Contact 4 VocPack

Great improvement for RCV4. Struggled a bit with the installation until I found this post all i can say is stick at it its definitely worth it. Thanks :(
Have to second this,an absolutely amazing enhancement for Radar Contact. I also struggled with the install,so downloaded with the links provided by Nick and installed manually. Tried my first flight last night and had a grin from ear to ear,it makes an excellent addon even better.Once again Nick many thanks for what must have taken a huge amount of time and effort and if ever an upload deserved an avsim gold star award this is it. Off to backup my new files,these are too good to lose. G.Minto

Guest peterd

I am having difficulty with your instructions.I

Guest peterd
Just unzip the downloaded files to your C: drive, then rename the unzipped files as described earlier in this post, and whoopee - double click the file that has the extension .zip and point the extraction to the winwood directory of the main radar contact directory. But first MOVE all directories from 0 to 98 to a safe location elswhere on any hard drive.Again, I would have provided everything as a single file including an installer, but a) AVSIM does not allow for files larger than 100MB and :( that would not have included a backup of the original files. No rose without a thorn, and it's sure worth the extra work ;)
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply, I downloaded the files at an Internet Cafe and have them on 2 discs ( I

Guest peterd
peterd, If I were you, download Winrar http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000-2250_4-10007677.html its free. Install it. Use that to extract the files. If you are going to install winrar, let me know and I will walk you through it. I 'll keep checking back here all day. Bob
Thanks Bob, have downloaded and installed winrar, have the five files in he as downloaded state and will look forward to your walking me thru it.Off to eat now but back in half hour or so ( wife permitting !!!!)Peter

Starting with the DOWNLOADED files, I don't really see what's so difficult to understand with the earlier explanation in this thread:

Unzip the downloaded files to C:\ (root directory).You will end up with five zip filesmwrc4_vocpack_part1.zipmwrc4_vocpack_part2.z01mwrc4_vocpack_part3.z02mwrc4_vocpack_part4.z03mwrc4_vocpack_part5.z04RENAME them tomwrc4_vocpack.zipmwrc4_vocpack.z01mwrc4_vocpack.z02mwrc4_vocpack.z03mwrc4_vocpack.z04Now double-click the first one (mwrc4_vocpack.zip) and extract the whole package to the directory

Guest macman4

OK, put all downloaded files on desktop in order mwrc4_vocpack_parta.zip, mwrc4_vocpack_partb.......... on so on. IF YOU HAVE tried extracting theses file to C: before ,make sure you go to C: and delete them or your going to have problems1. Start with mwrc4_vocpack_parta.zip and right click. Choose "extract files..." MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE WINRAR" extract files " it is the one that looks like 3 books on top of each other top red 2 bottom green.after you choose "extract files" another window comes up> Extraction path and options. On the right hand side of this window click once on Local Disk (C:) You'll notice in the Destination path box it should say C:\.Click OK. 2. Do this with all 5 parts in order. You might notice when you extract the next 4 parts, another window pops up saying " Confirm File replace" saying " the following file already exists don't even think of reading this .txt" Thats because that same .txt file is in each of the five parts. Don't worry about it, choose > yes to all. Theres also another one that says something about avsim do the same yes to all.3. After you have extracted all 5 files to C:, go in to your C: drive ( right click Start>choose explore>choose C:) If you went to the right place you'll see the 5 files, actually you'll see on zip folder, and 4 files.Rename theses mwrc4_vocpack_part1.zipmwrc4_vocpack_part2.z01mwrc4_vocpack_part3.z02mwrc4_vocpack_part4.z03mwrc4_vocpack_part5.z04To thesesmwrc4_vocpack.zipmwrc4_vocpack.z01mwrc4_vocpack.z02mwrc4_vocpack.z03mwrc4_vocpack.z04make sure you name them exactly as shown.4. After you have renamed the files, right click on the first file, which is really a zip folder, and choose extract files again the "Extraction path and options" window pops up. Now you need to find the rcv4 folder. Should be in Local Disk (C:) Expand C: (+ box next to it) scroll down the the rcv4 folder and expand it and click on winwood once. Again in the Destination path window it should read C:\rcv4\windwood If that is the case click OK. It takes awhile so be patient. I did get an error in this part, but i think it was my fault, so I won't confuse you with it, unless it happens to you.5. Good Luck, best I can explain it. Let me know if you have any peoblems

Guest peterd
OK, put all downloaded files on desktop in order mwrc4_vocpack_parta.zip, mwrc4_vocpack_partb.......... on so on. IF YOU HAVE tried extracting theses file to C: before ,make sure you go to C: and delete them or your going to have problems1. Start with mwrc4_vocpack_parta.zip and right click. Choose "extract files..." MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE WINRAR" extract files " it is the one that looks like 3 books on top of each other top red 2 bottom green.after you choose "extract files" another window comes up> Extraction path and options. On the right hand side of this window click once on Local Disk (C:) You'll notice in the Destination path box it should say C:\.Click OK. 2. Do this with all 5 parts in order. You might notice when you extract the next 4 parts, another window pops up saying " Confirm File replace" saying " the following file already exists don't even think of reading this .txt" Thats because that same .txt file is in each of the five parts. Don't worry about it, choose > yes to all. Theres also another one that says something about avsim do the same yes to all.3. After you have extracted all 5 files to C:, go in to your C: drive ( right click Start>choose explore>choose C:) If you went to the right place you'll see the 5 files, actually you'll see on zip folder, and 4 files.Rename theses mwrc4_vocpack_part1.zipmwrc4_vocpack_part2.z01mwrc4_vocpack_part3.z02mwrc4_vocpack_part4.z03mwrc4_vocpack_part5.z04To thesesmwrc4_vocpack.zipmwrc4_vocpack.z01mwrc4_vocpack.z02mwrc4_vocpack.z03mwrc4_vocpack.z04make sure you name them exactly as shown.4. After you have renamed the files, right click on the first file, which is really a zip folder, and choose extract files again the "Extraction path and options" window pops up. Now you need to find the rcv4 folder. Should be in Local Disk (C:) Expand C: (+ box next to it) scroll down the the rcv4 folder and expand it and click on winwood once. Again in the Destination path window it should read C:\rcv4\windwood If that is the case click OK. It takes awhile so be patient. I did get an error in this part, but i think it was my fault, so I won't confuse you with it, unless it happens to you.5. Good Luck, best I can explain it. Let me know if you have any peoblems
Thanks Bob will try it later and let you knowPeter

would you mind telling me which addon you like more now and why?
Sorry for the delayed reply!If you have a look in the PFE forum here at Avsim (it's hidden away in the "On Course Software" forum) you will fnd lots of info and discussions about the product. I've been a long time user of RC, ever since Version 2. I was also a user of the original Pro Flight 2000 many years ago. For all of the great things RC could do, one thing I really missed was the different voice packs from PF2K. It just completely killed the immersion for me to by flying around Europe and hearing US accents everywhere! I purchased PFE when it was released and wasn't too impressed, it seemed rather limited compared to RC4. I soon uninstalled it and went back to my familiar RC4 (albeit in a virtual FS world where everyone speaks with a US accent!). Now, to be fair to RC there are more accents available, but only a handful, nowhere near enough to get decent coverage of the world! I know the RC developers have complained in the past that they have invited people to record voicepacks for them and not enough have taken it up. Maybe we are all just lazy but the fact remains that RC4 is very limited when it comes to voice packs. There is also the issue of robotic voices. I know RC4 developers have done a lot to address this issue, but many of the voice packs for RC4 still sound robotic to me. But I digress...After some time I went back to try PFE again, it was around the time last year they released the extended voice packs. I downloaded all the updates, I skim read the manuals and tried a flight, read the manuals again and tried another flight... suffice to say PFE grew on me. Right now at this point in time I consider PFE to be the better of the two products, for the following reasons:Voice Packs - PFE has many more voices and accents available (especially if you purchase the extended voice pack which is a must have IMHO). The accents are intelligently applied so you hear appropriate accents based on the region you are flying. PFE generates AI based chatter in the same way as RC4, but PFE will choose an accent based on the airline... i.e. an AI British Airways pilot will speak with a British accent, Lufthansa with a German one, Qantas with an Australian one, etc etc. This adds HUGELY to the immersion IMHO. PFE voices are not perfect by any means, but to my ears at least they sound less robotic and more natural than RC4 ones (although there are a few of the PFE voices that do sound robotic).Taxi Guidance System - PFE includes a very clever system you can use during taxi. Ground controllers give you specific instructions on what taxiways to use, and using PFE's TGS you can either add a small gauge to your panel to visually indicate the directions to the taxiway - or (this is my favourite) you can actually have your co-pilot speak the directions to you i.e. "Next left" "Straight ahead" etc etc. It's very simple, yet adds a lot to the immersion, and yes you can use any of the voicepacks for your co-pilot.Callsigns - RC4 has always been limited with respect to callsigns. PFE isn't perfect, in fact if you are using the original PF2K voices that come with PFE you will be missing many of the newer callsigns that have appeared over the last 10 years or so, but if you use the extended voice pack you will have *MANY* new voices with a much expanded choice of callsigns.Development - RC4 has been pretty much unchanged now, with no new patches or features added for a long time. It looks like any new features will have to wait for RC5. PFE on the other hand has been in continual development ever since its release, with new updates being released on a regular basis (in fact I think the most recent one was only a few weeks ago). Dave March is very responsive to user requests and suggestions on the forum and has added many significant new features and changes since the original release of PFE. We've already had the extended voice pack released by Aerosoft which was a payware addition, albeit very modestly priced which added many new voices and accents, including many more callsigns. A few months ago some users on the forum requested the existing voices be made to sound more like radio transmissions, with background noise, etc. Dave March responded some time later by releasing a free update where all the existing voicepacks were modified to sound like they were really radio transmissions, and not crystal clear studio recordings.Running against PFE is the fact it is more complicated and convoluted to set up a flight - basically you have to use the old PF2K programme to generate an old FS2000 "ADV" file which PFE can read and integrate into FS9. The first few times you attempt this process it's a little confusing and frustrating, but once you get the hang of it then you shouldn't have any problems. PFE also comes with a much more comprehensive array of configuration options that can seem quite bewildering. A few hours spent reading the documentation should clear things up!There are a lot of similarities between RC4 and PFE, but also a lot of differences. The thing that really swings it for me is the vastly better selection of voices and accents in PFE, and the way they are applied to create a more immersive ATC environment, and the continued development and support Dave March has shown for PFE since its release, with regular updates including bug fixes and MANY new features requested by users.I don't know how long we have until RC5 is released, but I will certainly check it out and hopefully the appearance of PFE on the scene has given RC's developers the impetus to add lots of new and interesting features to RC5.Hope this helps!

EngineRoom,

Hope this helps!
Man, you've made an outstanding reply! Thanks so much for your imput.I expected just a few sentences and you provided me with a mini-review. Now I owe you a favour, just tell me whenever I may be of any help.
There is also the issue of robotic voices.
That's exactly my impression. Although I must admit what MeatWater presented on YouTube seems to be a significant improvement.
Dave March responded some time later by releasing a free update where all the existing voicepacks were modified to sound like they were really radio transmissions, and not crystal clear studio recordings.
Wow, didn't know. Can this goodie be downloaded somewhere?
Running against PFE is the fact it is more complicated and convoluted to set up a flight - basically you have to use the old PF2K programme to generate an old FS2000 "ADV" file which PFE can read and integrate into FS9.
Frankly speaking that's the factor which has always shifted me off PFE. But I guess you must be right saying it's only a question of getting used.You know, I'm a VATSIM pilot too and I know nothing will replace this live experience.But lately I've had time to fly full flights more seldom and only in the morning when European skies are virtually empty.And since the default ATC is killing me (after long live experience that CANNOT be good), I keep thinking of RC and PFE.I'll have to make my own judgement since both applications seem to have their advantages and disadvantages.I admit, though, your reply sounds very encouraging.Thanks again and apology to MeatWater for hijacking his topic.Best regards,Rafal

Now I owe you a favour, just tell me whenever I may be of any help.
Well a few days ago I managed to tread on my laptop and crack the LCD, so if you happen to have a spare LCD for an Alienware m15x I would be extremely grateful ;)Seriously though, if you have any more questions or want more info about PFE just head down to the support forum here at Avsim. Dave is a very friendly guy and is more than happy to answer questions.My advice is if you want to fly offline, especially outside of the US then I would go for PFE over RC4.

Guest peterd

Nick and Bob,I have tried everything recommended by you but still can

I have both RC4 and PFE - with RC4 it takes literally 10 seconds to set up a flight, using PFE it takes a couple of minutes *for the experienced* user. There's just too much to take care of for my taste. Another thing that kept me away from PFE was the fact that it crashed quite often (the program simply closed without notice) leaving me without ATC and unable to connect to MSATC as the keys were still trapped by PFE - very odd. However this was more likely a problem on my side as I haven't really seen many with this particular problem. Even the new voices in PFE do not sound like radio transmissions; to me ease of use and sound is more important than local accents. But as said above, both titles have their pros and cons.

Guest macman4

Yea Meatwater, I prefer RC over PFE, ,but there are two things that have a advantage over RC and there kinda connected, is the taxi instructions and the taxi guidance gauge. And I think the new RC5 is going to use detailed taxi instructions and I can live without the gauge.Peter, if you can ,tell me exactly whats happening when you try to install. Where does it go wrong. Bob