Sign in to follow this  
PelicanHazard

FS Repaint V2 and strange textures

Hello!I'm completely new to repainting, and am only taking to it now that I've bought FsPassengersX and want a livery for my airline. After a (very) brief look through these forums to see what programs would help me avoid opening FSX every time I wanted to check on the paint's progress, I downloaded the demo for FS Repaint, and found that it doesn't much like Wilco's E-Jets:texturesmessedup.jpgThe texture shows up fine in the sim, of course. Is there a solution for this?If it helps, I'm using Vista+SP1 and FSX+Acceleration.Thanks.

I use FS Repaint as a viewer with no problems. Here is what I would do to troubleshoot my way out of this loading of an incorrect or corrupted texture.Try default airplanes and see if they display OK with FS Repaint.If they do, backup and rename one default FSX texture folder and play around on the original with DXTBmp and your editor until you can move the files around, make changes, and save the final load texture xxx_1_T.dds. without corruption. I always load and save manually in all programs so that the right file always goes where I want it. (The FSX texture folder for that airplane.) Remember, you must load your final edits back to DXTBmp and then the final save in DXTBmp recombines the alpha and base bitmaps back into the final .DDS. I always do manual loads, as the DXTBmp "blue" buttons are a bit flaky in reliability and load to a third and awkward storage folder. This is very counterproductive.So DXTBmp first splits the .dds file to base and alpha bitmaps. Load and edit these bitmaps in your editor (Photoshop) for me. Change the alpha channel from an Index to RGB in Mode to edit, and change it back just before saving. Save these edited files back into DXTBmp replacing the originals. Save the final file from DTXBmp as a recombined .DDS file, xxx_1_T.dds. No flipping is required (see below).In short, split the .dds file into 2 bitmaps ( in DXTBmp), edit the 2 bitmaps (in Photoshop), reload the 2 bitmaps (to DXTBmp), recombine the 2 bitmaps as an edited .dds. (do a DXTBmp, final save). And, you must use DXTBmp from Martin White's website only. This version has been corrected for FSX and is corrected for the correct "flipping" of the image without manually having to do it. Other links are not updated and have non-corrected versions.Then when you have successfully saved a good xxx_1_T.dds. on a default FSX airplane that displays correctly in FS Repaint, you should be alright with starting over on your sample and get good results.I suspect your xxx_1_T.dds. has somehow gotten corrupted or saved incorrectly.If default airplanes do not display correctly, reinstall FS Repaint.Reinstall your original backup texture folder over your "test" or "learning" folder. Bob (Las Cruces NM)

Thanks for the prompt reply! As it were, a few of the things I was doing weren't helping much (thank you for giving me the correct procedure), but the problem persists for the E-Jets, and the E-Jets alone. Default FSX aircraft work fine now, but on trying to view any of the E-Jets textures, even the liveries it came with and which I have not touched at all, display like the jumbled mess in my first post. I'm slightly confused as to why.

The answer to the question is very simple guys.FSRepaint cannot handle the E-jets properly.Nevertheless there is a very simple way of letting the E-jets show correctly in FSRepaint.Just open the textures for the various parts of the plane in FSRepaint and open the pull-down-menu "Image" now flip the texure horizontally and or vertically.( or both)It works like a charm .Do not forget to restore the original position after editing.This all has nothing to do with the changes applied to DXTBmp nor with corrupted files as suggested.When saving a file to DDS, DXTBmp is NOT flipping the image automaticly. ( Imagetool does)There were problems with DXTBmp handling DDS files wich Martin Wright has solved but that had nothing to do with "flipping", as far as I am informed.In fact Alan says the models and their textures appear correctly in FSX , wich brings us to the obvious conclusion , its nothing more than a bug in FSRepaint.When a models appears correctly in FSX, there is nothing wrong with the files at all.Even the latest version of FSRepaint cannot handle all add-on models for FSX.The E-Jet is one of them , but there are many others. (e.g. the fantastic MD80Pro)As a member of the McPhatstudios I tell from personal experience, we did a lot of those birds.Leen de Jager /QC for McPhatstudiosPSAvoid using the option SAVE in DXTBmp to many times.Let me explain why.Every time a DXT or DDS is saved after editing its quality gets worse and at a certain point somethimes a strange phenomena can ( I amphasize on CAN) occur.The texture shows excellent in the viewer (FSRepaint) but nevertheless launching the livery in FS makes the sim crash to desktop.Due to the multiple savings of the file some information in the file gets lost or damaged , the texture is still OK but the file is sick.You may even end up with a file wich was not changed at al but wich became a slightly other filesize just after numerous savings.To avoid this so called "Saving-Fatigue" make sure to use the option save AS after removing the original file.Now you are shure you`ll have a fresh and healthy file.I did not discover this myself , Martin Wright ( the creator of DXTBmp) explained it to me long ago.There are several add-on planes available wich contain files sufferring "Saving-Fatigue".The moment you download such a plane everyting works well and after saving some files in DXTBmp for only one or two times the are gone.These files had been saved to many times before.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Leen;I just went to your website (McPhatstudios). Man, you guys do beautiful work !I just started repainting myself and am quite the "hack". But I'm just doing some custom jobs for my friends. I knock them out from FS Repaint in Photoshop with the magic wand on the blue background, and superimposing them over downloaded screen shots. I've not gotten into the added panel lines and/or rivets yet, or shadowing and/or streaks. That looks very interesting.Thanks for the great tips you have provided here.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)My First Repaint...(Black Diamond in Lecanto, Florida is where I used to live before moving out here to "beautiful" New Mexico.)

Very impressive paint Bob.My compliments.HINTDid you know you can insert screens or photos as a background in FSRepaint.I made an example for you.Used a picture from an nice sky in the background.This is an unedited screenshot taken from FSRepaint.fouga.png

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Leen,Thanks for the nice remarks about my first repaint, and the new tip. I was not aware that one can add a different texture to the background of FSRepaint. FSRepaint is a very nice program in total !For those not in the know, it's at....Edit, Options, Colors, Right Panel, Use Bitmap, Change (And gives a viewer and jpeg load option.) Bob (Las Cruces, NM)Special Las Cruces Weather Alert :(The very