Sign in to follow this  
Guest TIYCS

Cloud Popping With Weather Changes Over Time

Guest TIYCS

Hi,Just wanted to throw this together here in case it can help you guys understand/remedy the cloud popping issue.While flying from KBLI to KLAS, by the time I got just East of Mt. St. Hellens in Washington State this had happened 2 times. The second time I just happened to be taking screen shots and caught it in the act.Here is what it looked like:KBLI%20to%20KLAS%20-%2010%38%30p%2054.jpgKBLI%20to%20KLAS%20-%2010%38%30p%2058.jpgKBLI%20to%20KLAS%20-%2010%38%30p%2055.jpgKBLI%20to%20KLAS%20-%2010%38%30p%2059.jpgIn the blink of an eye, BAM. Suddenly there's a nice carpet of clouds down around 8K feet. It seems to happen every time the weather is updated in ASA. It looks like it's interpolating between stations differently every time (??). Do you guys have a handle on the cause yet?Hope this helps,Chris

Happens to me all the time too and not only when ASA is updating (which is every 10 or 15 minutes if I remember well). If I look out of the window and the clouds stay the same for over a minute, I am amazed. Seems there is always some popping and flashing going on.

Happens to me too in FS9. This is why I've reverted to using ASv6.5 and if SP1 doesn't fix it I shall request a refund.Iain Smith

Hi All,For FS04 we are working on this issue to attempt to make things better.For FSX there is information in the Release Notes that explain this better than I can.Thanks,

Guest TIYCS
For FS04 we are working on this issue to attempt to make things better.
Hi Jim,Can you give us just a little information on this issue for FS2004... like, can you at last tell us if the coders have a working theory of what is causing this, and if so a working solution as well? Considering you've got customers on the verge of requesting a refund, I'm thinking a little more information publicised about this issue could only help matters in that regard.I'm sure you feel as though you have nothing productive to share with all of us regarding this, but the fact of the matter is any little tidbits of information that may be "common knowledge" and "unimportant" to you would be quite helpful in allowing us, being completely in the dark, to feel more "in the loop" and included in the process of troubleshooting issues like this. It could mean the difference between a refund and a more patient & eventually happy customer.Thanks,Chris

Hi,If I knew for sure, I could share something. I don't know the status of the issue and will not guess as to the cause. I wish I could tell you more.Thanks,

Guest TIYCS

Perhaps the development team could enlighten you on the issue so that you could pass some of that enlightenment on to us?Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for a refund. I love ASA, even with all of it's issues. The way I see it, if FS9 had been developed properly in the first place (put R&D into perfecting FS9 as opposed to designing something entirely new with FSX) the HiFi team wouldn't be up against all these issues (They say you can't polish a xxxxx, but I'd have to disagree with that statement considering what HiFi has done with regard to FS9 weather).But the fact of the matter is, there are some pretty dissappointed customers out there... and one would expect HiFi to be a little more forthcoming with progress reports to their main PR guy, Jim Skorna, in order that they might mitigate the loss of those customers. ;-) Maybe you could ask them 4 us?Chris

Hi,We did much work with this for B394. Please download and install and see if that helps for you.Thanks,

Guest TIYCS
Hi,We did much work with this for B394. Please download and install and see if that helps for you.Thanks,
Jim, what does this mean exactly? This statement contradicts the following posts regarding B394, the first of which was posted by none other than you:B394 Reported Issues - By Jim Skorna - Mar 22 2009, 04:43 PM(Cloud Popping presently listed as second to the last item)http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=246680ASA 394 & FSX - cloud popping still evident - By ashwath - Mar 24 2009, 09:48 AMhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=246804?????????

Hello,Does this mean that for FSX, this issue is impossible to overcome and probably wont get a fix ever?

Felix, thank you for the confirmation.Ahaka, no it doesn't mean that. It means that we need to keep working on this issue and we will continue to do so.Thanks guys,

Guest cadet54

Did a flight from KTEB-KMOB while sitting on the ground I was getting OVC 1,000ft in TEB...On the METAR it said light rain...was not seeing any sign of rain until i went into spot view and panned around.. then i saw rain only in certain view in spot mode...when i went back into cockpit...no rain it was weird...finally i took off leaving TEB and came out of the IMC...while heading down to MOB yes it is clearly evident the cloud popping is not fixed...one second its 25,000 BKN next second its clear.....while on my approach coming into MOB i got the METAR OVC 900ft....Nothing but clear skys below 4,000ft at 4k there was BKN clouds...i waited until final too see if the OVC reported would come into play...and yet nothing...it stayed BKN 4,000ft which was not reported...I used Force destination on...and off and both times it remained the same...I am using FS9.1...and non of this seems to be fixed..and yes using B394