Sign in to follow this  
Smoky942

Access Denied

Its not enabled by default - you have to disable simple file sharing in Folder Options - View.. and its the last but one option in there. Its only available on XP Pro, but you can get it booting into Safe Mode on XP Home. Hope this helps,Leo
Thanks for the info Leo. I run XP Home so that is why I had never run across that option.The permissions I was refrerring to in response to the OP were really not file sharing related. I was referring to the permissions in Vista which block some of the very simple things we are used to doing in XP.Not all Vista users seem to have discovered that UAC needs to be turned off, either unversally or on a folder by folder basis in order for some functions to work as usual. Happy flying and thanks again for sharing that info - I find I can learn something new relating to FS almost every day. :(

Sorry for the late reply. Somethings cropped up which is keeping me busy for a while. I've had a look at a few files, and the Read Only box is checked...but not in the two files I can't open or delete. I have to admit, I'm in unfamiliar territory. I've never checked..or unchecked those attributes, because quite frankly, I've never understood what they did. So, do I need to uncheck every folder on the computer, before going to safe mode ?....or just the ones in fs9 ? Sorry for being so dumb, but the inner workings of the computer still remain something of a mystery to me. If it was'nt for help received from people like yourself and David, I'm sure my computer would have been hurled through the window a long time ago. I apologize in advance if I'm late coming back, but a blind friend has fallen ill. looking after her and exercising her guide dog is keeping me away from home much more than I expected, so I'm sure you'll understand.Russell.

Hi Russell, and everyone. "....I've had a look at a few files, and the Read Only box is checked...but not in the two files I can't open or delete. I have to admit, I'm in unfamiliar territory....."See if the topic listed below will help you , if you will get to the point that you want / need to delete something that does not cooperate. Below you will find part of the message. See if you can make a copy of that file first.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...9&hl=deleteTVPart of the message from the link above.Hello everyone.If you found yourself in a position where you wanted to delete a file, protected by BillyG's Gang, as the Divine's gift on Earth, and you could not, because they do not give you the Rights, here is a way to do it.Some of these Services cannot be Permanently shut down, like the "MS Center Store Update" carp. These Services, like the one above can take up to 100% of you resources, tie up your Phone line, etc., and interfere with your normal use.Most of these files / directories are used by some pesky Services that will send information from your system, and by some Spy utilities, like the file "mcupdate.exe".These files will also drain your System of Resources without any notification, and once connected you cannot disconnect, until you power the system down.This Procedure was posted by a very save individual, Mark Russinovich, and I hope some of you may be able to make use of it also.Note: Before you Delete any of these file, make sure you Save / Copy them, in case you want to restore them at a later date. Normally these files are used by very Special Services, at least to MS.To run the "Cmd.exe" as Administrator you Left Click (L.C.) on Start, L.C. in the Search box, Type "Cmd.exe", Right Click on that file and choose Run as Administrator, then type the commands below:i.e. takeown /f E:\windows\system32\"file name / i.e. jscript.dll"i.e. icacls E:\windows\system32\"file name / i.e. jscript.dll" /grant administrators:F"takeown /f Path_And_File_NameFor example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll .2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grantadministrator's full access to the file:icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:FFor example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grantadministrators:F"See pic of the typical use to delete "mcupdate.exe"Be sure you Know what you want to delete. Use at your own risk. TV

No problems Russell; much as I am sure most of us would love to spend all our time simming, real life has this annoying habit of getting in the way :)This is rather a perplexing problem, to be sure. I think its worth seeing if the files are actually there - so can you try this;Go to Start - Run, and type CMD.In the new command window, you will need to change to the directory where these offending files sit, sofirst type the drive letter where FS is installed (eg, I: in my case. If its on your C:\ drive, then just type "cd\" (no quotes)Next, type cd "Path to Flight Simulator 9\Effects" (use the quotes for the path).The command prompt should return the path you've just typed in. Next, you want to dir command, to list the available files. What I would do here is dir a*.fx (where a is the first letter of the offending filename. You'll want to use this, otherwise just typing "dir" will return all the files in that directory. If you've a lot, then this is worse than useless!). When you hit enter, does the list output actually list the files you're having problems deleting? This should tell you, at the very least whether Explorer is caching something.

Louise

London, UK

Hi Leo, the stage I'm at now is..I have fs9 up and running just fine. I was able to find copies of some of the needed fx files, and re-download the others. The path to flightsim 9 is D:\Programme Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator9 In the Microsoft Games folder (outside of the fs9 folder) I have two fx files which still refuse to be opened...moved, or deleted. Following your detailed instructions, the first entry I see is...C:Documents and settings\ My Name. I then typed in exactly how you said, but assuming the cd referred to C drive, I substituted that for dd. Path not found. I did it again using cd. Path not found. As the offending files are'nt actually in fs9, I typed "Path to Programme Files\Microsoft games" Path not found. This is about par for the course when I try to follow someones instructions...it NEVER comes up with what it's supposed to. As I have fs9 running just fine now, and those two files are not now needed, nor appear to be doing any harm, I'm thinking I would be better leaving well alone now. Can't thank you enough for your advice, you've been a tremendous help, thanks.Russell.

Thanks for that, David. A neat little programme. Although it said...No Locking Handles Found..it deleted the two offending files in seconds. As my son is an avid online gamer, and forever downloading stuff, I've developed the habit of checking the antivirus for updates, then running it, every morning. After doing this a couple of days ago, I'd only been on a couple of reputable flightsim sites, and had'nt downloaded anything, then went off line. Later, I was looking at an AFCAD with AFX, off line. I then received a phone call from NYC. I left the programme open while talking. After about twenty minutes, a Threat Detected sign jumped up and I hit the send to virus vault button. The virus was WIN32/Heur. Do you think it's possible that this had been lurking on the computer, undetected by the antivirus, and was responsible for locking these files up in the first place ? I just wish I had a better understanding of these things. My sincerest thanks for your patience and help.Russell.

With viruses is seems almost anything is possible. :( In recent memory I have seen them do everything from blocking AV programs from calling for updates to corrupting the Restore function in XP - so nothing really surprises me anymore.I just do not understand the mentality of those who delight in creating and distributing such things. Really sick folks in my opinion.Glad to hear your system is working well again. :(