Sign in to follow this  
Guest nathan85

747X issue

Guest nathan85

On long haul flights, in the 747x, it starts off good, but once it gets to cruising altitude, it takes a long while to stabilise the pitch bar, and the longer the flight is, the more erratic the plane behaves, usually rolling a lot and having the autopilot correct it every 2 minutes. I don't have any particular weather conditions set to make it do this, in fact it's always clear skies, altimeter 29.92. The yaw dampers are obviously turned on aswell.Any tips or corrections you can give me I'd definitely appreciate it!-Nathan Halperin

The common problem is weather. MSFS wx engine is as unreal as it gets. However, she should fly well if either smoothing features of FSUIPC (registered) are used or clear wx (no wind) is selected. Probably not an issue, but I assume you are below the max cruise alt.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest nathan85

The only times I set wind is at an airport if I want to have a go at landing on a different runway from the one the atc usually directs me to, but that behaves differently. In fact, sometimes it directs me to the usual runway when the wind wouldnt usually allow it, but if I do the same flight in the leveld767 for instance, it'll send me to the most suitable runway. Anyway thats another issue, I should start properly using sid/star procedures I guess.And yes I'm definitely always below the max. cruise altitude.

Guest cincyeaglefan
The common problem is weather. MSFS wx engine is as unreal as it gets. However, she should fly well if either smoothing features of FSUIPC (registered) are used or clear wx (no wind) is selected. Probably not an issue, but I assume you are below the max cruise alt.
Is it smoothing features OR clear wx?I was having this problem where towards the end of a long haul the A/P would start turning at a crazy bank angle. I tried the smoothing features and it didn't work, then when I read this and cleared the weather it went back on course. So am I to understand you just can't do long hauls with weather on?

I am back to square one with wx... FSUIPC does a very good job of smoothing the wx variations (wind speed/direction temps and pressure) but I am having a problem finding a good source for weather to begin with. The default live wx updates don't cover the oceans, ASX doesn't seem to work through simconnect ever since I moved from XP to Vista and now I get totally different winds in the sim than what ASX shows on it's reports. I tried asking REX questions but they don't provide support unless you are a customer. I am at a loss right now as to what my next step is going to be.

Dan Downs KCRP

I agree with Dan on this. There's just no way of properly planning a flight. The total wind over the route is always off. IF you manage to tame the wild wind swings back and forth, you will still have to contend with inaccurate winds.Take this example:ASX reporting 190/51. FSX is showing 244/46 knots in MD11 FMC. Now I open any FS menu (so FSX stops), I take for example weather and see that the current wind should be 226/51 true. So I exit the menu and BAM! Wind goes to 217/50 !? What gives. If many of you are having these problems, wouldn't it be a good idea to start putting data together to see what can be done? Is this 100% a SimConnect thing? Maybe all with this problem can report on one place with what they have heard from where they get their info from. Because this sucks. And day by day more people are switching to newer OS's. I myself am trying Windows 7 build 7068, and I have the same problems..Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Guest cincyeaglefan

Someone else mentioned to me the wind smoothing with FSUIPC but I didn't get the settings he used that worked. I've only used MSFS weather. I don't even care too much if its totally accurate, just something is better then flying in clear skies all the time. Clear skies is the only time I don't have a problem that I noticed. I don't watch the whole flight from KATL-RJAA haha. But for the parts I do (around the Tank to Engine switch and so forth), it seems fine on clear skies. I'm scared to turn the weather back on for approach.Khary Williams