Sign in to follow this  
Guest zkalos

FS2004 Rebuild scenery library in every gamestart !

Hello David, I have finally got it to work, I placed the exe file into FS2004 as you mentioned and it appears to work now. Many thanks for your support and patience.
Happy to hear you got it all sorted out.Just a quick quote from the instructions if anyone else is having a problem:Use:====Place FSTscenery.exe and scenery.cfg in the same folder. Double-click FSTscenery.exe to run the program.The application creates a copy of your original as scenery.organd constructs a new scenery.cfg file in the same folderMove your new scenery.cfg file to your FS folder, if created elsewhere.end quoteI did not move my scenery.cfg but rather placed the FSTscenery.exe in the same folder where scenery.cfg resides - i.e. my main Flight Simulator 9 folder. :(

Guest napamule

ZKalos,It sounds like you're trying to delete as much FS9 default scenery as you can get away with (and use only your Megascenery-as it's all YOU need) in order to eliminate the loading of scenery by FS9 at start up time (ie: complaining about something that is 'normal'). There is no fix for this. The Megascenery may take a long time (3 minutes?) and that added to FS9 normal operation at start is too much for you. We all have to wait for this (and in FSX it is even longer a wait). The scenery cfg is not being re-compiled, as you seem to think, but is FS9 loading scenery so it can run. Huge difference. Must learn terminology, make note of 'error' name, and explain 'problem' EXACTLY' so we can help you better. Patience to endure IS necessary if you are ever going to be able to 'enjoy' the flight simulator(s). It takes a lot of 'work', too.Chuck BNapamule

I placed the FSTscenery.exe in the same folder where scenery.cfg resides - i.e. my main Flight Simulator 9 folder.
Wow, never thought I would disagree with you David. I keep mine in a seperate folder and copy my current scenery.cfg into it so that if something should go wrong I don't lose my scenery.cfg.I will say I have used this utility a bunch without problem, but you never know...A pretty minor disagree wouldn't you say?Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Wow, never thought I would disagree with you David. I keep mine in a seperate folder and copy my current scenery.cfg into it so that if something should go wrong I don't lose my scenery.cfg.I will say I have used this utility a bunch without problem, but you never know...A pretty minor disagree wouldn't you say?Joe
The program automatically makes a backup of the scenery.cfg file before working on it. But just in case, I keep my own backup elsewhere also. So we are not in disagreement at all. :(EDIT ADDED: In case you are wondering, I created a very short batch file which first makes a copy of the scenery.cfg file and then runs the program. It looks like this:copy scenery.cfg C:\Temp\pauseFSTscenery.exeIt is just a text file which I renamed copy scenery.bat. The bat file is in my FS Flightsiulator 9 folder also. I placed a shortcut on my desktop to the bat file. Works like a charm. :(

ZKalos,It sounds like you're trying to delete as much FS9 default scenery as you can get away with (and use only your Megascenery-as it's all YOU need) in order to eliminate the loading of scenery by FS9 at start up time (ie: complaining about something that is 'normal'). There is no fix for this. The Megascenery may take a long time (3 minutes?) and that added to FS9 normal operation at start is too much for you. We all have to wait for this (and in FSX it is even longer a wait). The scenery cfg is not being re-compiled, as you seem to think, but is FS9 loading scenery so it can run. Huge difference. Must learn terminology, make note of 'error' name, and explain 'problem' EXACTLY' so we can help you better. Patience to endure IS necessary if you are ever going to be able to 'enjoy' the flight simulator(s). It takes a lot of 'work', too.Chuck BNapamule
I agree with Chuck. I have a ton of scenery in my ~4 year-old FS2004 installation, and startup to the Create A Flight screen is typically around 2-3 minutes, then a further 1-2 minutes to load the aircraft + scenery location selected.Back when I was using the photoscenery UK-VFR second-step scenery load times were typically around 7 minutes until I found I had to turn off Extended Textures with photoscenery, when load times dropped to around 4 minutes. I know that disabling sceneries not needed for a particular session might speed things up, but as I tend to fly all over the place I tend to leave everything active. Its not exactly go-away-and-make-a-coffee slow, but you learn to be patient.If new sceneries have been added then normal load times are a bit longer as the scenery database has to be updated.Incidentally, I still use FSNavigator, which comes with its own Scenery Database Compiler (to add airports, NAV beacons etc. so that they appear on the FSNavigator map) and this SDC has the nice bonus of keeping the scenery layers harmonized in the same way that the utility mentioned above does.Alastair

I agree with Chuck. I have a ton of scenery in my ~4 year-old FS2004 installation, and startup to the Create A Flight screen is typically around 2-3 minutes, then a further 1-2 minutes to load the aircraft + scenery location selected.Back when I was using the photoscenery UK-VFR second-step scenery load times were typically around 7 minutes until I found I had to turn off Extended Textures with photoscenery, when load times dropped to around 4 minutes. I know that disabling sceneries not needed for a particular session might speed things up, but as I tend to fly all over the place I tend to leave everything active. Its not exactly go-away-and-make-a-coffee slow, but you learn to be patient.If new sceneries have been added then normal load times are a bit longer as the scenery database has to be updated.Incidentally, I still use FSNavigator, which comes with its own Scenery Database Compiler (to add airports, NAV beacons etc. so that they appear on the FSNavigator map) and this SDC has the nice bonus of keeping the scenery layers harmonized in the same way that the utility mentioned above does.Alastair
In regards to your startup to Create A Flight screen times, I have recently had something unusual happen.My startup to Create a Flgiht screen time was approximately 4-5 minutes. A few weeks ago, it suddently jumped to 10 minutes! I had added nothing obvious at the time. One day 5 minutes, the next day 10 minutes. The time from Creating a flight to "ready to go" (loading of scenery, plane, traffic, etc.) has actually remained the same - about your time frame. I have added many sceneries since and my time have remained "constant" at the above figures.Do you or anyone else have any idea what might have happened?Glenn

Guest zkalos

Thanks Napamule !I didn't delete nothig from default files. I just uninstall several Megascenery with uninstall exe. After that my FS2004 Rebuild Scenery Library and Scenery Indexes in EVERY FS9 start (After click to the FS9 icon), like I installed a new scenery, and after restart FS. Sorry for My bad english. My main problem is not the longer loading time, what natural if I load a megascenery from the FS9 main menu. My problem is FS9 find new scenery files on every game restarting , therefore rebuild new scenery.cfg , but I don't know why, because I not installed new scenery, just only uninstalled. This natural on first restart after a scenery install or uninstall, but not on EVERY gamestart ! This not a big care, and because of this problem I don't want to reinstall everything for several week.Help me if anybody can.

Guest napamule

Zkalos,Sorry about the preaching. So, you do have an obvious 'unusual' problem. The question then is: what did you do? (1). First, do you still have the default 'AddOn Scenery' folder, with the sub folders 'Scenery' and 'Texture' (even if empty) where it belongs (under main FS9 folder)? We can solve this. All we need is specifics. (2). HOW did you 'uninstall' the scenery? Did you first go de-activate it while FS9 was running (ie: from the Main menu's 'Scenery' / 'Delete Area'? Then quit FS9 and on restart, then NOT find it LISTED when you go look in Main menu's 'Scenery' list? This is the only way to 'get rid' of scenery. Of course, if you put the BGL's in the 'AddOn Scenery' folder, and then removed them (BGL's) but did not delete from FS9 'Scenery' LIST (as above), FS9 EXPECTS to find them, and when it doesn't, it HAS to re-build the scenery INDEX file (which is what you describe as 'the problem ( ie: If it HAD found those BGL's in the 'AddOn Scenery' folder, it would not have to RE-DO the index file). The result is that the more scenery you add the longer it will take. Normally, when you stop ADDING scenery, the reuilding of the INDEX file also stops. So go do the above delete from within FS9, restart FS9, please report back, and we will then go from there. The whole 'structure' of the Scenery system is fairly straight forward and relatively simple. It is also very easy to mess up. OK? OK!Chuck BNapamule

Guest zkalos

Thank You napamule !!!My problem solved now.I had a duplicated entry in scenery.cfg. Remember now ,when I reinstalled all megascenery-s with own auto-uninstallers, I saw that a lot of scenery entry are duplicated in the FS scenery library manage menu. I deleted them , but in the scenery.cfg one entry stayed, but this not was visible in FS library manage menu, only if I read the scenery.cfg by entry to entry. I have a lot of addon scenery installed and therefore it was difficult to recognize the problem. I use FS2004 from the begining, but I learnt again from this. Thank You everybody for replys !!!