Sign in to follow this  
jcboliveira

VATSIM

Guest rici

Hiya all,I know this isn't the best forum but...RE VATSIM:Reading the getting started it says tht only certain sectors are online at certain times so I take it that sometimes you get ATC, sometimes not. If I am flying from EDDF to KLAX then, what happens if a sector that I want to fly over is not active? Am I left without ATC? What about NAT and oceanic clearences/reporting? Can this be done with VATSIM, you should report your position every 10 longitude so can I do this and get oceanics?Cheers

Guest moomox

It's true that in many cases, you may never have ATC at all in VATSIM. So in those cases, i'd just make IFR position reports on a RW unicom channel and via text messages. As for the NAT, not sure how VATSIM simulates this. I assume it would be the same sort of situation as uncontrolled airspace. Just keep making those radio calls... I'm sure there are many more experienced people who use VATSIM that could answer this.

Guest rici

Ok thank you very much. How much of Europe and USA is not covered with ATC do you know?Take care

Hello,It all depends on where there are controllers. The most common centers that are almost always covered are Miami, Chicago, Cleveland, and Atlanta. It really depnends, though, on which controllers happen to have time and are online. I always use Servinfo to get a good picture of the ATC coverage.-Marchttp://www.freewebs.com/flightsimcfi/http://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Guest moomox

Have you ever tried the program Whazzup? It can show you what TRACON areas are open at the time you connect to VATSIM.www.schiratti.com/whazzup.htmlIt will give you a really good idea of who is online. Or you can also try ServInfo. It's also a really great program for VATSIM and IVAO.http://www.avsim.com/hangar/utils/servinfo/Europe for the most part seems to be covered more densely with traffic and ATC. Many times much of the East coast of the USA is also covered on a regular basis.

If there is not ATC you don't have to report by obligation.You can switch on unicom though and submit position reports every once in a while. Also keep an eye on your TCAS !The big difference with VATSIM and IVAO is that although ATC and pilots arround you are not as much as FS's Artificial Intelligence, they are live people responding as all humans would do.Once you get online you'll be amazed from the diversity of events you'll encounter from people all over the World. Sometimes the greatest socials are done when ATC are not present and you start chatting. First contact is made from frequency and then you may continue private. Someone in the other side of the World who just happened to "fly by" you or depart while you were landing many times may be your next chat of the hour solving problems or exchanging experiences.Kyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vatsim-eur.org/images/VATSIM-EURs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440

When there's no ATC, I only make radio calls when I think that there's a possible conflict. For example, if I'm approaching an airport, and the TCAS shows me that there's someone on the ground, I'll make calls on unicom through the approach.One time I didn't make calls I was coming into Vancouver to 26R, and someone else was takeing off on 8L (same runway, different end). We very neary had a head on, and both had to turn to avoid the collision. Very exciting! :)

My experience with servinfo has been hit and miss. It may show a controller on duty, even after he/she has left the post. So, I have also taken to checking out the atc activity list directly at www.vatsim.net.Sherm

Guest Maul

VATSIM is a great tool for anyone who wants to get more out of FS2K2. In fact, I'm standing by for a clearance to Seattle as we speak. One thing that I saw this past weekend (when VATSIM is heavily staffed) was an Oceanic Center off the west coast. I'm sure they do NAT's and position reports when those are up. Sometimes controllers will pop up in an area you're flying to if you get lucky. I remember doing a flight from Baton Rouge, LA to DFW. Their controllers stayed online until 2 am! IT was very nice of them; so I say, if you're willing to learn, give it a go!EricArea51 (When It Arrives...)Intel