Sign in to follow this  
Guest manniko

Equal load distribution to all cores of a Q9650

Guest manniko
This is kinda off topic, but what in the world is a GTX 850? You sure you don't mean 8500 GT or GTX 260/280?
Hi Emil,you are fully right - it is off course not a GTX 850 !! It is the GTX-285 (new model) with 1 GB RAM.Thanks for the advice, appreciate it very much.Hej hej from Riyadh.Manfred (Riyadh - OERK)

Guest manniko
Hello Manfred, yes Acceleration is the same as SP2 more or less. This tweak wont do any permanent damage but it will make FSX perform worse overall, you can do the same test just by simply setting the affinity of the processes with the Windows task manager, this is all this so called optimisation is.Simply bring up the task manager when FSX is running and right click on the FSX.exe and select "set affinity".You will now get a pop up box with some check boxes and ticks in it, deselect one or more ticks and you are done, FSX will now perform worse than it did before. The first thing you will probably notice is that the ground scenery textures will start to get more blurry.
Hi Andy and all the others who gave same advices,My system runs well and FSX is NOT anymore stuttering - not one time !!!! Problem is solved !!! What I did:I set from the task manager the affinity for fsx.exe to the following setting:core 0 = de-selectedcore 1 to 3 = selectedWhat my computer now is doing:Instead of having all the load on core 1 (mostly around 100%) the load is now nearly equally distributed among core 2,3,4 - the load never reaches a single time 100% - the cores are now loaded between 30% and 80% with some very short peaks which are going up to 90%.Core 1 - which has been fully loaded before - indicates now only around 5% and the average load for all 4 cores is floating around 30 - 40% !!!A great day and a great solution for my problem. It is very nice to have a smooth running system with no fear that the system will hang for a couple of seconds. Thanks to all again, you are my men.Greetings from the desert of Saudi Arabia Manfred (Riyadh - OERK)

Guys,how do I make the usage of cores 2,3 and 4 as default?everytime I start FSX the Affinity goes back to all 4 cores again.ThanksNIck

Hey just want to squeeze in a ques here i really need some advice. Im planning on buying a new system but swapping out the Phenom X4 9500 2.2Ghz processor with an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz mainly because they say that FS9 doesnt work too well with Quad Core, my question can the "AFFINITYMASK=7" tweak work with FS9 as well?

Guest SkullxBones

I've been using the AffinityMask tweak for a while now and it works better than anything I've tried for stutters. Something to think about, whether to use AffinityMask=7 or AfffinityMask=14. In the original post from JohnCi who discovered the 3 core tweak for stutters, the way I understand it is the main reason for using 14 instead of 7 is that you want FSX to use the last three cores and let your OS use the 0 (zero) core exclusively. There was some confusion about which number to use. From what I read, the logic looks like this:0111=71110=14The cores are numbered from the right, so the zero core that the system uses is the last one. It's confusing because it seems Windows Task Manager (performance tab) displays this with the zero core first. I've tried both 7 and 14 and they both seem to work but I have it set to 14 now.Another thing to look at, many like to use the BufferPools tweak, but on my system (Q6600) this causes serious stutters.I rarely get any stutters now.Jeff P.Nfus, put this at the end of your fsx.cfg file[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14

Nfus, put this at the end of your fsx.cfg file[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14
Done it but FSX seems to ignore this command.When FSX.exe starts all 4 cores are always ticked.Could it be related to the fact that Im using Vista?Nick

It doesn't unselect the cores in the affinity options, to do this the executable header has to be changed, which isn't something that users can normally do easily. If you were to open the task manager and click on the performance tab you would see that only 3 cores are actually being used to any degree, and more than likely most of the time only one core is pegged at 100%, unless that is you are flying over photoscenery in which case all cores would be at 100% more often than not, depending on the speed you are travelling at.

Cheers, Andy.

It doesn't unselect the cores in the affinity options, to do this the executable header has to be changed, which isn't something that users can normally do easily. If you were to open the task manager and click on the performance tab you would see that only 3 cores are actually being used to any degree, and more than likely most of the time only one core is pegged at 100%, unless that is you are flying over photoscenery in which case all cores would be at 100% more often than not, depending on the speed you are travelling at.
Whatever affinity mask value I input on fsx.cfg, when I start FSX and I check my PC performance, only the first core is at 100% and the other 3 are at 10/20%.Anyway this is not a problem anymore as I discovered something probably even better:What I do is going to task manager and change the affinity for fsx.exe "stopping" the first core (called 0). If you now check the performance you will see that core 1 "sleeps" meanwhile the other 3 run at about 70/80%. ( I have a Q9950 with Nvidia GTX280, Vista32 businnes, 4GB Ram)Now if I switch back-on the first core it appens that all 4 cores run at the same level/load! Core 1 is no more the only one overcharged like when you first run FSX.In my PC the load is now equally divided on all 4 cores giving an overall CPU's usage varying from 40% to 70%!!!This gives me a much smoother simulation and an average of 6/10FPS more than before.At least on my PC I can now run FSX with all sliders (ALL!!!) to max (apart from autogen and scenery density which are on Normal) and my FPS go from a min of 10 to a max of 40!!Nick

Guest manniko
Whatever affinity mask value I input on fsx.cfg, when I start FSX and I check my PC performance, only the first core is at 100% and the other 3 are at 10/20%.Anyway this is not a problem anymore as I discovered something probably even better:What I do is going to task manager and change the affinity for fsx.exe "stopping" the first core (called 0). If you now check the performance you will see that core 1 "sleeps" meanwhile the other 3 run at about 70/80%. ( I have a Q9950 with Nvidia GTX280, Vista32 businnes, 4GB Ram)Now if I switch back-on the first core it appens that all 4 cores run at the same level/load! Core 1 is no more the only one overcharged like when you first run FSX.In my PC the load is now equally divided on all 4 cores giving an overall CPU's usage varying from 40% to 70%!!!This gives me a much smoother simulation and an average of 6/10FPS more than before.At least on my PC I can now run FSX with all sliders (ALL!!!) to max (apart from autogen and scenery density which are on Normal) and my FPS go from a min of 10 to a max of 40!!NickHi Nick,thanks for sharing this new setting with us. I tried it and it works EXACTLY like you desribed it. BUT:I cannot run FSX with all sliders (except the ones you mentioned) at max!! Impossible, I will get then latest when I connect the SQUAWK Box a error which says: running out of memory, restart FSX. I have 8 GB memory istalled ( I know 4 of them are useless) and I installed also the 4 GB patch for FSX.EXE. I am not really sure what the heck is eating my memory.Regards from the saudi arabian desert,Manfred Kohl Riyadh OERK VA Pilot LH113

What I do is going to task manager and change the affinity for fsx.exe "stopping" the first core (called 0). If you now check the performance you will see that core 1 "sleeps" meanwhile the other 3 run at about 70/80%. ( I have a Q9950 with Nvidia GTX280, Vista32 businnes, 4GB Ram)Now if I switch back-on the first core it appens that all 4 cores run at the same level/load! Core 1 is no more the only one overcharged like when you first run FSX.In my PC the load is now equally divided on all 4 cores giving an overall CPU's usage varying from 40% to 70%!!!
This is great! Tested this on my (dual-core system) and it results in higher framerates: the load is equally divided on the two cores.Thanks Nick.

This is great! Tested this on my (dual-core system) and it results in higher framerates: the load is equally divided on the two cores.Thanks Nick.
Glad to have been helpful!!Manfred, could your problem be related to your OS (XP)?Im using Vista 32 Businnes with 4GB RAMI'm sorry but I really do not know if this difference can be the cause of your memory being "eaten"...VERY IMPORTANT: you must run FSX in DirectX10 Preview mode!!!What I can say is that I fly with PMDG MD11 plus ASX and FSInn running on a Networked PC.I have FPS always at max and locked at 20/22 but if I free them I can obtain about 30 on default airports, up to 40 while flying (2D and 3D panels) and about 10/11 when approaching more complex Add-Ons Sceneries (Aerosoft/UK2000 etc). In this particular case sometimes FPS drop down to 6 when something heavy has being loaded, but it does not last longer that few secs.Hope this helps furtherNick