Sign in to follow this  
Guest spookytrigger

Possible to PAN in 2D Cockpit?

Guest spookytrigger

Hi there, my first post on AVSIM.Can anyone tell me if it is possible to PAN (incrementally) in the 2D cockpit for FSX?This worked in FS9 with the PAN_IN_COCKPIT_MODE but doesn't seem to work in FSX.Been googling forever and can't find the solution. Straight%20Face.gifEdit: I might add the reason for this is to work on spanning across 3 monitors with a view to building a full size cockpit with projector display. This sim lark is taking over my life!!

FSX uses a "camera" definition system to control view settings. Each view reachable by using the "A" and "S" key is defined by a camera. There are global cameras, available in all aircraft, and aircraft specific cameras. the global cameras are in a file, cameras.cfg that is located in your user appdata (same place as fsx.cfg). The first camera definition is the 2d cockpit view. Depending on how you want to set up, you could either edit this one directly, or create a clone of it for editing, so you would have both cameras available.Here is one I did. Key comments follow:

[CameraDefinition.012]Title = Cockpit PanGuid = {B1386D92-4782-4682-A137-738E25D1B5BA}Description = This is the description of the cockpit viewOrigin = CockpitShowPanel = YesSnapPbhAdjust = OrdinalSnapPbhReturn =TruePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = FrontOnlyAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 1.0SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = Custom

CameraDefinition.012 -- this is just the next number at the end of the file (.011 is the last default one)Title -- this should be unique. I just called it "Cockpit Pan"GUID -- this needs to be unique. There are GUID generators from MS, but I just randomized a few of the hex letters/numbers.

SnapPbhAdjust = OrdinalSnapPbhReturn =TruePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = False

This is the meat of the change. FSX has two ways of looking around. One is called "snap" and the other "pan". I don't know if there is any difference (I need to play around more in different views). The default commands have "snap" assigned to the SHIFT-NUMPAD keys, and the "pan" assigned to the view hat. So if you want the hat to pan like in VC, change the PanPbhAdjust from Ordinal to Swivel. Unless you want it to return to forward when you release the hat, also change the PanPbhReturn to False. You could also change the "Snap" settings, or not depending on what you want.Category -- I don't like having to fish through all the VC cockpit views with the "A" key, so instead I assign it to "Custom" category, which allows me to use the "S" key like in previous versions.HotKeySelect=2 -- I remove this line. This causes the cockpit view to be reached via the F10 key. If you would rather have F10 on this camera, remove it from the original cockpit camera instead (I'm not sure what happens if you have 2 cameras assigned to the same hotkey -- maybe the last one wins?) There's many other tricks you could do with the camera, but I haven't taken the time to experiment with all the possible options.scott s..

Guest spookytrigger

scott, thank you thank you, that was a very informative reply and sounds like exactly what I'm after.I'll have a play around, thank you again, much appreciated :(

Some follow-up on the camera editing for the 2-D cockpit...I would recommend adding some control for the pan speed after changing the PanAdj parameters as mentioned by Scott...The default speeds for the VC are 15 and 45 but you may wish a different speed in the 2-D (these are 15

Guest spookytrigger

Hey lliaudais, totally forgot to say thank you after reading your post also and heading off to experiment.I've managed to get my screens set up exactly how I wanted so I'm over the moon now.Big THANK YOU people!! :(