Sign in to follow this  
Guest tywyn

Newbie Help on Lesson 4

Guest tywyn

I'm a complete novice to flying and am on lesson 4 (slow flying) but I'm unable to complete the task where the instructor requires climbing to 4,000ft with a RPM of 1500 @ 60 knots. There just isn't enough power to climb, help please.

Guest byoungblood

Since I'm a bit unfamiliar with that particular lesson, allow me to ask, is this with the flaps up or down? I'm assuming that since it is slow flight, it is probably flaps down, in which instance 1500 rpm would be much too little power to hold altitude, much less climb. 1500 rpm, full flaps, at 60 knots is usually producing a 400-500fpm descent in a 172!This begs the next question, what happens if you bump the engine speed 500-600 rpm? Does it fail the lesson? That's why many folks just don't bother with the lessons in FSX.

Guest tywyn

The flaps are down and it's impossible to climb to 4,000ft at 1500 RPM, If I increase it to 2200 RPM at 60 knots it climbs fine but the lesson fails. It's a shame really as for a complete beginner I would have thought the lessons would be important in becoming familiar with the basic instruments and manoeuvres, and it makes it more difficult if the lessons are bugged. I'm wondering what else I'm missing from this lesson?

The flaps are down and it's impossible to climb to 4,000ft at 1500 RPM, If I increase it to 2200 RPM at 60 knots it climbs fine but the lesson fails. It's a shame really as for a complete beginner I would have thought the lessons would be important in becoming familiar with the basic instruments and manoeuvres, and it makes it more difficult if the lessons are bugged. I'm wondering what else I'm missing from this lesson?
I read this post and then loaded FSX to try lesson #4. I had no trouble completing the lesson.First of all you shouldn't be climbing to 4000ft. The purpose of the lesson is to learn how to HOLD an altitude while slowing down or speeding up. When Rod gives you control of the plane reduce the throttle to 1500rpm. Take your time and reduce the throttle slowly. At the same time you are reducing the throttle pull back on the stick to hold 4000ft. You will have to continue pulling back on the stick to slow down to 60kts. Also DO NOT LOWER YOUR FLAPS! There is no reason to do that.Try the lesson again. It works as it should and isn't bugged.Todd

Guest tywyn

Thanks Todd, I've done the lesson again and I managed to complete it successfully. It was my fault I was dropping the power far too quickly but I didn't have the flaps extended. I don't think you'd like to ride in my airplane atm, but I'll get there :( I'm building towards flying an A380 from JFK - London Heathrow and landing at on a stormy night, but I really want to master the basics first.

Thanks Todd, I've done the lesson again and I managed to complete it successfully. It was my fault I was dropping the power far too quickly but I didn't have the flaps extended. I don't think you'd like to ride in my airplane atm, but I'll get there :( I'm building towards flying an A380 from JFK - London Heathrow and landing at on a stormy night, but I really want to master the basics first.
In your post above you stated that you had the flaps "down" so that is why I said do not lower your flaps. I though you were trying the lesson with the flaps down/extended/lowered which is all the same. :(We were all novices at one time so just keep trying and be patient. You'll get better over time.Todd