Sign in to follow this  
sargeski

Cancer Journey - Waypoint One reached

Hello All,Well, the first part of my journey is over. I went in for surgery on Friday 2/13. The surgery supposedly went better than planned and two complete muscles were removed from my right thigh. The Rectus Femoris and Tensor Fasciae Latae. I had to have emergency surgery once again on saturday 2/14 to remove a baseball sized blood clot that had formed in my leg. I was released from the hospital on Thursday 2/19 only to be readmitted to the hospital with severe pain on Saturday 2/21. A JP drain was placed in my leg (to remove fluid build up) during the original surgery and to me appeared to pushing on a nerve somewhere in my leg. After two days of me telling the doctors it was the drain they removed it. When they removed the drain I nearly passed out but also had instant releif from the agonizing pain. I was released once again from the hospital yesterday Tuesday 2/25. I begin physical therapy tomorrow and will begin radiation in 4 to 5 weeks. It's pretty amazing that I can be without two muscles in my right thigh and I am already up and walking without assistance (although my right leg is rather tight in the thigh area at the moment).Did I miss any must have releases in the past tweleve days either payware or freeware??Thanks for listening guys.Regards,Bob

Guest RonB49

Hi BobIt is good to see that you are back on the forum. As a cancer survivor (twice 1987 and 1990 - 1991), I would say that the most important steps toward a full recovery are: a positive attitude, maintaining your accustomed lifestyle, and prayer if you are a believer. Get back to your normal routine, both work and play, as soon as possible but follow doctors' orders.R-

Hi Bob.The most painful, physical stage, is over, surgeries never are 100%, without some complications. Human body, and humans in general, are very complicated / complex entities, that's one of the reasons I did not want to become a Doctor, some how Binary, "0"s and "1"s seemed more predicable.We all react differently to medications, physical invasions of foreign objects, like the doctor's little gadgets they use etc.Just stay positive, and always say to you yourself, Tomorrow, or when you will awake up again, will be a better a better day. Sleep does more healing than just about anything. There are times when you have to think ant, small increments can generate mountains, one second, hour, day, whatever increment it takes at the time. Some time we have to scale down, and build back up. With a positive attitude, It will happen, and before you know it will only be a memory.I do not think you missed much in the FS, new things, but I am not the best to respond, I mostly use the sim as a tool to supplement real flying, mostly IMC, GA aircraft. Reading books, if you have time, playing Hand held games may help to keep your mind off your real life.Good luck, remember life is like dancing, two steps forward, one step back, and every once in a while is the reverse. TV

Hi BobIt is good to see that you are back on the forum. As a cancer survivor (twice 1987 and 1990 - 1991), I would say that the most important steps toward a full recovery are: a positive attitude, maintaining your accustomed lifestyle, and prayer if you are a believer. Get back to your normal routine, both work and play, as soon as possible but follow doctors' orders.R-
This is excellent advice, Ron. I survived a heart attack and later a lung transplant due to an incurable disease called IPF. I think I had some of the greatest medical minds in the world helping me but I give ******* Christ the credit for these and all my miracles. I followed all your advice and am healed today.So, there is only one, although major, adjustment I would make to your advice: if Bob is not a believer, become a true believer and then pray for His guidance and healing. The positive attitude, maintenance of lifestyle, keep everything as normal as possible and by all means do what the doctor says are excellent. 30 minutes a day on the treadmill helps too!God bless,Earl

Wow Bob Amazing recovery!My grandfather was an oncologist and it was so hard to see what people with cancer had to go through. But like he always said anyone can fight it, it is all in the mind and your body's immune system is the greatest defense to fighting those cells. I don't think I need to tell you that though because you already have a great attitude! Keep on with it and you should be out of it in no time!Good luck with the radiation!Chris

Guest firehawk44
Hello All,Well, the first part of my journey is over. I went in for surgery on Friday 2/13. The surgery supposedly went better than planned and two complete muscles were removed from my right thigh. The Rectus Femoris and Tensor Fasciae Latae. I had to have emergency surgery once again on saturday 2/14 to remove a baseball sized blood clot that had formed in my leg. I was released from the hospital on Thursday 2/19 only to be readmitted to the hospital with severe pain on Saturday 2/21. A JP drain was placed in my leg (to remove fluid build up) during the original surgery and to me appeared to pushing on a nerve somewhere in my leg. After two days of me telling the doctors it was the drain they removed it. When they removed the drain I nearly passed out but also had instant releif from the agonizing pain. I was released once again from the hospital yesterday Tuesday 2/25. I begin physical therapy tomorrow and will begin radiation in 4 to 5 weeks. It's pretty amazing that I can be without two muscles in my right thigh and I am already up and walking without assistance (although my right leg is rather tight in the thigh area at the moment).Did I miss any must have releases in the past tweleve days either payware or freeware??Thanks for listening guys.Regards,Bob
Goodluck Bob on your journey to recovery. Glad to hear you made it this far and hope they got all of the cancer. I have several friends and relatives who have successfully recovered from cancer and it's nice to know the technology is getting better and better.Best regards,Jim