Sign in to follow this  
Airbrakes

ILS auto tune

Is there a way to park the ILS Nav radio on a NPA if the runway has a ILS frequency?For example, last night I flew the NDB 07R to EDDF and the ILS radio autotuned the frequency. I've tried the delete key but I got prompted with the FMC message "Invalid Delete".I then changed the frequency manually but I find it annoying to have the manually tuned ILS frequency and course displayed on the EADI in a NPA. Deleting the manually tuned inputs places the ILS radio back in autotune and I get a LOC and G/P deviation scale on the EADI.Thanks in advance...

I'm guessing it's the 747? If I remember correctly, It wont autotune if you don't select the rwy or approach.

I'm guessing it's the 747? If I remember correctly, It wont autotune if you don't select the rwy or approach.
Yes, but you need the TDZE of the arrival airport for the pressurization system or you would manually set it via the overhead controls. The runway is also part of the CDAP approach plate so I kind of need it. :(

The TDZE elevation in MSFS is the same as the airport elevation, flat airports and I think the elevation is set when you select ICAO code for destination not runway; regardless, the sidstar terminal procedure file normally includes all published instr approaches including NDB.. why not select the approach you want to fly?

Dan Downs KCRP

Actually, if I don't select an arrival runway, I'll get a no touchdown zone error on the bottom of the speedtape shortly after cruise and the Upper EICAS Landing altitude is displayed at 364FT (TDZE of 07R @ EDDF), so I think it goes off the arrival runway for a calculated descent profile to maintain .1 PSI for landing. For departures the system goes off both the captains altimeter and the field elevation of the selected departure airport's ICAO code.I selected the NDB arrival for the runway, but because the runway has a ILS beam, the ILS radio autotuned it (even though I was flying a NPA). I was just wondering if I could turn this feature off somehow.

I selected the NDB arrival for the runway, but because the runway has a ILS beam, the ILS radio autotuned it (even though I was flying a NPA). I was just wondering if I could turn this feature off somehow.
I don't see why pilots would want to remove the ILS from their view, even when they're doing a different approach, in your case a NDB app. It's there for guidance, you still have all the things you need for a NPA. I'm pretty sure it can't be turned off.

I don't want it there when I'm flying a NPA. There is plenty of other guidance on a NPA (VTI, VASI, PAPI, etc). Guess I'll have to manually change the frequency then..... Thanks.

I don't want it there when I'm flying a NPA. There is plenty of other guidance on a NPA (VTI, VASI, PAPI, etc). Guess I'll have to manually change the frequency then..... Thanks.
I get your point, but it is in fact an airliner, not a C172 you can fly around in practicing difficult maneuvers ; ) It's there to make your job as a pilot easier, to get you down to the ground safely, that's why it can't be turned off.

Have you tried entering a false ILS frequency? Failing that, maybe you can fail the ILS via the PMDG menu.
Yes Check, the frequency and course heading still appear on the EADI. It's no big deal really.... I'll just ignore it.