Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

Create night textures from aerial photos

I have an aerial photograph of Bucaramanga (my hometown), and I'd like to adapt it in order to make night photo textures, so there can be a city also at night. What do you suggest me to do? What parts should I edit? Should I add color or paint something over it? I'm using SBuilder for making the photoscenery, but I understand changes for night texture should be done directly over the source photo. Which software should I use for editing the photo? Photoshop? GIMP? MS Paint?For seasonal variants, well... because we are so close to the Equator, there are no seasons here, so I'll use summer :( (but maybe someone else would appreciate having this suggestions here also).Best regards from ColombiaLuis MiguelPS: I forgot to say, the photo scenery is for FS2004

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I too am wondering the same, it's easy to get daytime images from Google earth or other sites but what about night, winter?Once you have them thought I am quite sure Photoshop will be best to slice them up into tiles......Let's hope someone can guide you in the right direction!Marc

Hi,This is the best I found in the TerraBuilder forum, you might want to check it out, there's lots of good info in it...from a message left by MishoYou need Adobe Photoshop. You can probabbly do it with Paint Shop PRO but I'm not sure how. 1 - Darken your daytime satelite picture to the point of being barely visible. Make sure it is dark enough (as dark as its surroundings), otherwise it will "glow" at night. 2 - choose "Airbrush" tool, "fuzzy" pattern 3 - choose "Overlay", "Soft Light" or "Color Dodge" MODE, depending on what works best for you. 4 - create a bright, white color with just a hint of yellow. 5 - spray in to your image, using one of the above modes. 6 - image will "light up" in the sprayed areas, bringing the detail out. The color above will give you a yellowish streetlight hue. You can experiment with blue tones to give you more of a flourescent effect. Thanks!

I have developed an image that is color-matched to the default night textures. I load my aerial and and the generic night image into GIMP. I desaturate the aerial so it is fairly gray. Then I cut and paste areas out of the night image, to provide lights in appropriate places. Then I adjust the transparency of the night layer and combine it with my desaturated aerial to create the final texture. You have to look at it in the sim to see how much of the base aerial should remain visible to create the desired ambient night light effect.scott s..

I have developed an image that is color-matched to the default night textures. I load my aerial and and the generic night image into GIMP. I desaturate the aerial so it is fairly gray. Then I cut and paste areas out of the night image, to provide lights in appropriate places. Then I adjust the transparency of the night layer and combine it with my desaturated aerial to create the final texture. You have to look at it in the sim to see how much of the base aerial should remain visible to create the desired ambient night light effect.scott s..
Wow this works fantastic, so easy to make night scenery, now i'm on the quest to making it winter timer..... hope it's that easy ;)