Sign in to follow this  
Guest DonMR

GeForce 9800 GSO v GT v GTX v GTX+

Guest DonMR

Hey Gang,What is the difference between the GeForce 9800 GSO, GT, GTX and GTX+?Is there any significant difference in performance for an FSX system (given adequate/the same CPU, RAM, etc)?Thanks,Don

Hey Gang,What is the difference between the GeForce 9800 GSO, GT, GTX and GTX+?Is there any significant difference in performance for an FSX system (given adequate/the same CPU, RAM, etc)?Thanks,Don
Get at least the GT.Beyond that, it is iffy..

Bert

Get at least the GT.Beyond that, it is iffy..
When comparing specs on these cards for FSX, pay attention to the Memory Interfaceand Memory Bandwidth rates. They seem to be most closely correlated to FSX performance.That is likely why the 8800Ultra used to be king.

Bert

Thanks for asking your question Don.I'm in a similar situation. I want to add a video card to my Q6600 system for use with FSX. Currently I use one 8800GT. I'm looking for a new card for FSX outside views and will use the 8800GT for undocked panels.Question is, which 9800 to purchase. From what I have read here, the 9800 out performs the 200 series cards with FSX.Sounds like I need to go back and do more research on the 9800 cards.Walt

Pretty much the same scenario here, though I already decided on the 9800GT 1GB board last night (couldn't resist it for $150 when I saw it on Newegg last night, that sealed the deal for me.) I'm upgrading from an 8800 GTS 320MB that, while it's a great card, just doesn't have the memory to deal with the amount of textures to run it at 2880x900. :\ In any case, like the op, I'd love to know what the differences are between the different versions of 9800 cards (performance-wise in regards to FSX). I'm hoping the 9800 GT with 1GB of VRAM will be an improvement, but I'd love to know which of these cards is actually the best FSX performer.

Guest CoolMaster

Yes the 250 is a refresh of the 9800 GTX BUT its only a rip off from nvidia they think the customer is dumb. I will always say buy the 8800 GTX/Ultra if you still can I play Crysis @ Very high @ 25-35 FPS in 1920x1200!

Guest MichaelEderVie
Yes the 250 is a refresh of the 9800 GTX BUT its only a rip off from nvidia they think the customer is dumb.
First of all, I have to introduce myself. I must admit, that I am almost completely new at the FSX hobby.Sorry, I cannot fully agree with this rip-off allegation against the GTS 250.This card is ships with 1024 MB DDR3 by default compared to 512 MB of the 9800 series.Moreover aome sources say, that Nvidia has at least reduced the power draw during idle mode,compared to the 9800 GTX+, and if it does well for the FSX (better than other more expensivecards e.g. from ATI) why should it be considered as a rip-off ?I have now a HD 4870 and an Intel E8600 dual core (3.333 Ghz) but I have heard that Nvidia cards generally perform better at FSX than ATI models.If I want to replace the ATI card, which one will be the better choice, when it comes to sheerFSX gaming performance (not the budget) ?- A OC version of the new GTS 250- An EVGA GTX 285 FTW (for the win)TIA for any reply

Guest CoolMaster

EVGA GTX 285 clearly! The 285 is the best high end Single Card from NV. If you don't need to look at the budget i would even say go for a 295 but you would have to see if you get micro lags with it.

Guest UlfB
EVGA GTX 285 clearly! The 285 is the best high end Single Card from NV. If you don't need to look at the budget i would even say go for a 295 but you would have to see if you get micro lags with it.
The GTX295 is a double GPU card and FSX can't make use of multipble GPU cards. Waste of money.

Guest CoolMaster

"not the budget"Even if it FSX cant use it I don't think he will only play FSX...

Guest UlfB
"not the budget"Even if it FSX cant use it I don't think he will only play FSX...
Quote OP:
Is there any significant difference in performance for an FSX system (given adequate/the same CPU, RAM, etc)?

First of all, I have to introduce myself. I must admit, that I am almost completely new at the FSX hobby.Sorry, I cannot fully agree with this rip-off allegation against the GTS 250.This card is ships with 1024 MB DDR3 by default compared to 512 MB of the 9800 series.Moreover aome sources say, that Nvidia has at least reduced the power draw during idle mode,compared to the 9800 GTX+, and if it does well for the FSX (better than other more expensivecards e.g. from ATI) why should it be considered as a rip-off ?I have now a HD 4870 and an Intel E8600 dual core (3.333 Ghz) but I have heard that Nvidia cards generally perform better at FSX than ATI models.If I want to replace the ATI card, which one will be the better choice, when it comes to sheerFSX gaming performance (not the budget) ?- A OC version of the new GTS 250- An EVGA GTX 285 FTW (for the win)TIA for any reply
The devil is in the details... Memory bandwidth is more important than memory size for FSX.

Bert

Guest DonMR

Hey Bert,What spec do I look for on a video card to identify memory bandwidth?MemoryMemory Clock 1900MHzMemory Size 512MBMemory Interface 256-bitMemory Type GDDR3Is it the "Memory Interface" item? (That's my guess.)Thanks,Don

Hey Bert,What spec do I look for on a video card to identify memory bandwidth?MemoryMemory Clock 1900MHzMemory Size 512MBMemory Interface 256-bitMemory Type GDDR3Is it the "Memory Interface" item? (That's my guess.)Thanks,Don
Example from the nvidia.com site 9800GTX GPU Engine Specs:Processor Cores 128Graphics Clock (MHz) 675 MHzProcessor Clock (MHz) 1688 MHzTexture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 43.2 Memory Specs:Memory Clock (MHz) 1100 MHzStandard Memory Config 512 MB Memory Interface Width 256-bit Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 70.4

Bert