Sign in to follow this  
Guest moomox

What is the name of the airport ?

Guest FlyerNL

Hi,A couple of months ago I flew to an airport which is based in between high mountains. It is almost not possibleto land there. I thought it was in the nord-east part of the USA. You need to be very carefull with the landing, becausethe mountains are very close. Strange place to build and airport...Does anybody know the name of the airport? Would be great,FlyerNL

Guest moomox

Definitely Aspen! What a great airport... :9KASE

Guest FlyerNL

Hi,Thx for the quick answer. But it was not correct. It's only grass, or something what seems the same. No concrete... Only small planes can land there, likea Cessna etc...And about the mountains. It's more like you got a mountain,and they took a lot of stone out of it. The result is a difficultairport :-)...And they airport has, if I am correct, also number(s) in it.So, its not like KLAX, KJFK etc. More like 22WE or something...Thx,FlyerNL

Guest moomox

That's a tough one... Was there addon scenery for the airport you went to?

Guest FlyerNL

No, I looked, but there was none.Someone at the screenshot forum flew over the airport on-route andasked there which airport it was.. I first wanted to give thisquestion a try here...FlyerNL

Guest brewmaster

I realize this is a long shot, but that sounds an awful lot like Ranger Creek in Washington state. If that is not the airport you are thinking of, at least check out ranger creek. Crazy place especially with good terrain mesh installed. There is of course scenery by Lago available for that airport too.Brew

Was it in the USA anyway? I remember a tough grass strip, but that one was Lukla, in the Himalaya (near Mount Everest). It sure looked like someone removed a large block from the mountain and put an airfield there.Alex[p]

Guest FlyerNL

Hi,I checked both airport out, but still not the one I am looking for. The airport I mean is even worse :-)...Any other ideas?Thx,FlyerNL

Guest Captain Barfbag

TAP in Papua New Guinea is like that. At one end the field rolls off sharply into a deep valley. The other end is a cliff wall going straight up. Great scenery, even with just the default.

I this a quiz:9 and what is the first price?:-yellow1 Jan EHAM

Guest FlyerNL

Hi,I just checked TAP. It's still not the one I am looking for...Just 95652 airports to go... :-eek The first price will be that you make me very happy man... :+More ideas?FlyerNL

How about Colebrook, NH (4C4)? That's pretty well surrounded by mountains and hills. It's in FS2002. Of course, I think that the scenery is kinda messed up in FS - it isn't nearly that bad in REAL life. :)

BobK

Guest enave

Thanks for the tip about Ranger Creek. That was a lot of fun. I was able to make a straight in approach to 33 because I was in a twin otter and could slow down enough to basically dive over the mountain. But to land on 15 I had to follow the valley and make a right turn onto the runway. I ended up going a little fast but the runway is actually pretty long so there was plenty of room to bleed off the remaining speed. You also have to be careful of the trees. They're very tall and quite close to the sides of the runway.Here's a real-world picture of the strip:http://www.airnav.com/airport/21Whttp://www.geocities.com/avidjohn/rangercreek.htmlYep, that was neat. I think I'll head back and try it again.