Hello, I'm currently running the following hardware: Intel E8500 O\C @3.8 GHZ, Asus P5QC mobo, EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB, 4GB (2@ 2GB) Mushkin DDR2 800MHZ Ram. FSX is on its' own 500 GB Sata HDD. I'm thinking about updating my video card to an EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3. Would I see enough of a difference in performance in FSX to justify the added expense? Any help would be appreciated.

NAX669.png

Hello, I'm currently running the following hardware: Intel E8500 O\C @3.8 GHZ, Asus P5QC mobo, EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB, 4GB (2@ 2GB) Mushkin DDR2 800MHZ Ram. FSX is on its' own 500 GB Sata HDD. I'm thinking about updating my video card to an EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3. Would I see enough of a difference in performance in FSX to justify the added expense? Any help would be appreciated.
I very much doubt it. Every report I've seen says that beyond the 8800GT there is very little if any gain in FSX.Check the benchmark pages for evidence. Only if you fly with really high screen resolutions (1900+) do bigger cards offer improvedframerates in FSX. Other games.. different story.http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-...-X-SP2,784.htmlMaybe someone who has done the upgrade can add their comments.

Bert

Bert, Thanks for the reply. I checked out the link and it appears that the 8800 GT actually is on a par or a little better when it comes to FSX. I'll wait to see what other kinds of responses I get but this is a good start. Thanks again.

NAX669.png

Guest UlfB
Hi,I replaced my 8800GTX with XFX GTX285 Black (OC:ed 690MHz). Gave me a significant performance boost. Running my i7 OC:ed to 3.8GHz.Edited: You'll find my report on performance boost over here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29276 scroll down a bit.

Hi,I replaced my 8800GTX with XFX GTX285 Black (OC:ed 690MHz). Gave me a significant performance boost. Running my i7 OC:ed to 3.8GHz.Edited: You'll find my report on performance boost over here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29276 scroll down a bit.
OK.. so it does help - on a really fast system!Looking at Ulf's specs, I realize that this card has a 512bit memory bus vs 384 for the 8800GTX. I bet youthat that is where the performance comes from, if you have the processor and memory speed to takeadvantage of it !

Bert

Ulf, Thanks for the reply. I wonder if I can expect the same jump with the E8500 as you got with the i7?

NAX669.png

Guest UlfB
Ulf, Thanks for the reply. I wonder if I can expect the same jump with the E8500 as you got with the i7?
I don't know. I really don't know. Let's hope that a E85 user, that have upgraded from 88 to 280/285, will share their experience.

I don't know. I really don't know. Let's hope that a E85 user, that have upgraded from 88 to 280/285, will share their experience.
I've wondered the same thing. Having an E8500 @ 4GHz, wondering if upgrading my 9800GTX with only 512MB to a 280/285 SC with 1GB would help with my 1920, 24" display. I run very texture intensive airports with lots & lots of AI (addicted). My preferred price-point has always been around $300 for a new unit and some are now slowly getting in that range. I do want a GPU however that works well with a future i7 upgarde sometime later this year.Hmmm, decisions, decisions... :(

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest Shep
I've wondered the same thing. Having an E8500 @ 4GHz, wondering if upgrading my 9800GTX with only 512MB to a 280/285 SC with 1GB would help with my 1920, 24" display. I run very texture intensive airports with lots & lots of AI (addicted). My preferred price-point has always been around $300 for a new unit and some are now slowly getting in that range. I do want a GPU however that works well with a future i7 upgarde sometime later this year.Hmmm, decisions, decisions... :(
I had the same thoughts but over a 1000 quid to get a few extra fps in an obsolete, for a year or two, FSX sim decided me - stick with my 8500 and GTX 8800. http://shepsshed.com/pcbits.htmAsus P6T Deluxe