Sign in to follow this  
Randh

RC and my Nav have differing opinion on who's off course

I'm getting an issue on certain occasions in RCv4 where the controller has the idea that I am "way off course" and instructs me to fly a heading that seems to take me back to the first waypoint. My plane's GPS shows up saying I had already passed that waypoint, but the controller seems to suggest otherwise.Example:I load a flight plan for KLAX to KOAK... and start my B737. Clearance tells me I'm cleared to KOAK as filed (confirming that RC has the right flight plan loaded), and tower clears me for takeoff on runway 24R, and asks me to resume own navigation.My auto pilot does its thing and takes me to the first waypoint, and so forth, while I am climbing to cruising altitude. I am instructed to contact Los Angeles Center at around 12000 feet, then the high controller. It's right around when I'm crossing FL270 that I have crossed the second or third waypoint when the controller tells me I'm "drifting off course"... my GPS and NAV screen on the B737 each show that I am right on the line... the controller then instructs me to fly heading 100; exactly 180 degrees from my current bearing.Since RC doesn't have a "retort" option ;) I first decide to fly that heading, and the ATC controller doesn't say anything or anything for a good half hour, at which point I give up and decide to fly my nav again and hope the controller doesn't say anything about it....well, the controller notices and tells me I'm off course "again" and instructs me to fly that heading... this time I flat out ignore it and the controller gets angrier and angrier, at which point I give up and declare an electrical failure emergency and ask for vectors back to KLAX.The same exact thing happened on a flight from Calgary to Vancouver.I can try to get a log to you guys, but since it seems to happen randomly, it might be difficult. I could try to fly the same flight I did before, I suppose.Additional note:In each of the flights, it happened after I had already successfully landed an IFR flight to KLAX and Calgary respectively. My original KLAX flight was from Salt Lake City and my original Calgary flight was from Providence. Both happened to be B737s. I basically landed, arrived at the gate, then loaded another flight plan without ending my flight. I did, however, closed and restarted Radar Contact between flights.I also have Traffic X installed, if that helps

I'm getting an issue on certain occasions in RCv4 where the controller has the idea that I am "way off course" and instructs me to fly a heading that seems to take me back to the first waypoint. My plane's GPS shows up saying I had already passed that waypoint, but the controller seems to suggest otherwise.Example:I load a flight plan for KLAX to KOAK... and start my B737. Clearance tells me I'm cleared to KOAK as filed (confirming that RC has the right flight plan loaded), and tower clears me for takeoff on runway 24R, and asks me to resume own navigation.My auto pilot does its thing and takes me to the first waypoint, and so forth, while I am climbing to cruising altitude. I am instructed to contact Los Angeles Center at around 12000 feet, then the high controller. It's right around when I'm crossing FL270 that I have crossed the second or third waypoint when the controller tells me I'm "drifting off course"... my GPS and NAV screen on the B737 each show that I am right on the line... the controller then instructs me to fly heading 100; exactly 180 degrees from my current bearing.Since RC doesn't have a "retort" option ;) I first decide to fly that heading, and the ATC controller doesn't say anything or anything for a good half hour, at which point I give up and decide to fly my nav again and hope the controller doesn't say anything about it....well, the controller notices and tells me I'm off course "again" and instructs me to fly that heading... this time I flat out ignore it and the controller gets angrier and angrier, at which point I give up and declare an electrical failure emergency and ask for vectors back to KLAX.The same exact thing happened on a flight from Calgary to Vancouver.I can try to get a log to you guys, but since it seems to happen randomly, it might be difficult. I could try to fly the same flight I did before, I suppose.Additional note:In each of the flights, it happened after I had already successfully landed an IFR flight to KLAX and Calgary respectively. My original KLAX flight was from Salt Lake City and my original Calgary flight was from Providence. Both happened to be B737s. I basically landed, arrived at the gate, then loaded another flight plan without ending my flight. I did, however, closed and restarted Radar Contact between flights.I also have Traffic X installed, if that helps
Hi Randh,You missed a waypoint. There are some circumstances when RC may not credit you for overflying one such as during a lot of comms interaction.RC simply wanted you to do a 180 and fly back towards it. Check your GPS and the active waypoint will be displayed. RC will be displaying an earlier one - hence the problem.The solution is to Request Direct to your next waypoint. Selecting that option will allow you to choose which waypoint you want to become active in RC. Keep an eye on the RC window and make sure the active waypoint in that is also the one your GPS is flying towards.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Aha, that makes my life much easier. I didn't think to simply "skip" that waypoint with that request. This seems to be routine for certain flight plans; I made my KLAX-KOAK again and the same thing happened.Thanks a lot... my fuel efficiency will be vastly approved now. :) It's just too bad the critique guy is going to ding me for it.

Aha, that makes my life much easier. I didn't think to simply "skip" that waypoint with that request. This seems to be routine for certain flight plans; I made my KLAX-KOAK again and the same thing happened.Thanks a lot... my fuel efficiency will be vastly approved now. :) It's just too bad the critique guy is going to ding me for it.
If you keep getting this problem with some flights there may be two waypoints too close together. It's best not to include any waypoint that requires a significant heading change after passing a previous one and is within 10 miles. Upload your KLAX-KOAK plan and I bet it has a waypoint that has that scenario.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If you keep getting this problem with some flights there may be two waypoints too close together. It's best not to include any waypoint that requires a significant heading change after passing a previous one and is within 10 miles. Upload your KLAX-KOAK plan and I bet it has a waypoint that has that scenario.
it's a bug in RC4when there is too much chatter at the 5nm crossing pointRC4 will not 'see' your crossingit's known, and they're not going to fix itmust be on the wrong side of the programmers talent

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10

You'll just have to check the RC ATC window on the screen (as suggested earlier) and make sure you hit the waypoint. I find it easier to hand fly departures up to 10K and hand the ATC comm to the FO. That way you can just concentrate on flying the plane and eyeballing the ATC window to check that the waypoint was hit. Then once stable above 10K and established on the route, turn on CMD.BTW, I never saw this reported bug mentioned no matter how busy radio chatter was or how close the waypoints were when flying departures manually.

it's known, and they're not going to fix itmust be on the wrong side of the programmers talent
Ooooh, excuse me...Not so much as a "bug". It has to do with CPU cycles and so forth, and what takes precedence over what. It is a issue that we've looked at and found suitable solution for in v5. Programming is difficult especially within the FS environment, and jd does a marvelous job of it.Randh, it seems like the waypoint you're missing is in the departure phase. In that case, it is important to note that departure (ie SID waypoints) need to be crossed within 2nm to get a 'credit'. During enroute, you are allowed to pass within 5nm of the waypoint though to get the credit.Also, sometimes if you use 4x time you're more likely to miss waypoints. If you are accelerating time, it is best to 'slow down' to 1x for the waypoints that are:1. Close to each other (enroute or otherwise)and/or2. Have a large turn between inbound and outbound bearings. Some SIDs, like some at EDDF, RJAA, and the KLAX LOOP departures are classic examples where a turn calculated by the FMC may cause you to pass a waypoint greater than 2nm from it. In these cases, you may not get credit for the waypoint and RC will expect to you to go back to it.In v5, we have made all that a much easier task and it should no longer be a problem :o)On a side note, when you flew to Calgary from Providence

This is a Flight Simulator Forum Subs,not a popular music forumHowever,I like your style!I like The Eagles too but won't be seeing them in the UK later this year.