Sign in to follow this  
nandrews

Video corruption after an hour or so

Guest rdg

Hi, this may have been mentioned in this thread but I did look to see if anyone asked, so sorry if someone brought this up already.How much video memory on each card? I was wondering if this may be the issue and you are running out memory.Are you using the /3GB switch? If so, I would be curious as to how much memory you set aside on the userva=xxxx switch.Just a thought.RegardsBob

don't bother removing UTX.I had it, I reinstalled FSX completely, did NOT install UTX a second time... and here I am, still problems.UTX is harmless here.I just re-installed FS9 ;) Because Im in need of a FIX called ACTUALLY FLYING :)
Ok, well, at least that's 1 more thing we can cross off the list.Also, I can actually complete a flight *IF* I don't switch screens, or go into the menu bar for ANYTHING.
Hi, this may have been mentioned in this thread but I did look to see if anyone asked, so sorry if someone brought this up already.How much video memory on each card? I was wondering if this may be the issue and you are running out memory.Are you using the /3GB switch? If so, I would be curious as to how much memory you set aside on the userva=xxxx switch.Just a thought.RegardsBob
Bob,I don't use the /3GB switch as I am running Vista 64, and I believe it's not needed if running a 64 bit OS. My video card is a GTX-260 with 896mb, and I have 6gb of system memory.Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Guest rdg
Ok, well, at least that's 1 more thing we can cross off the list.Also, I can actually complete a flight *IF* I don't switch screens, or go into the menu bar for ANYTHING.Bob,I don't use the /3GB switch as I am running Vista 64, and I believe it's not needed if running a 64 bit OS. My video card is a GTX-260 with 896mb, and I have 6gb of system memory.Jay
Yep, 64 bit doesnt use it. I have purchased the gtx285 and it should be here soon. I am running XP 32, so I will need to be careful. I shut down all services not needed so I am hoping I can utilize all of the 1 gig on the card. I think what I will do is post a thread to get feedback on all that are using a card with 1 gig and above and see how their systems are working and what driver issue if any some are experiencing.RegardsBob G

Using XP-32, I've been using /3gb /userva 2560 with my total of 4GBDDR.Doing the math : 4096 - 2560 = 1536MBleft for kernel space1536 - 1024 = 512MB left for kernel AFTER pci-e mapping.Not an OOM...BTW my pci-e bus is running at stock speed (verified with SetFSB) + no OC on my machine.Some people (me included) suggested to disable Intel Enhanced Speed Step in the BIOS.This thing decrease CPU speed when CPU usage is low.(Ref : http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/a...eng/203838.htm)I did it but not getting better results :/

Guest rdg
Using XP-32, I've been using /3gb /userva 2560 with my total of 4GBDDR.Doing the math : 4096 - 2560 = 1536MBleft for kernel space1536 - 1024 = 512MB left for kernel AFTER pci-e mapping.Not an OOM...BTW my pci-e bus is running at stock speed (verified with SetFSB) + no OC on my machine.Some people (me included) suggested to disable Intel Enhanced Speed Step in the BIOS.This thing decrease CPU speed when CPU usage is low.(Ref : http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/a...eng/203838.htm)I did it but not getting better results :/
Hi, thanks for your post. I do have a question.What are you flying and what scenery add-ons do you use. I was curious as those who are using heavy scenery upgrades and flying very complex aircraft seem to be the ones taxing the system to the max and experiencing the most problems. ThanksBob GI saw a number of posts of varying issues like these. The problem turned out to be a faulty or over stressed power supply. RegardsBob G

Hi, thanks for your post. I do have a question.What are you flying and what scenery add-ons do you use. I was curious as those who are using heavy scenery upgrades and flying very complex aircraft seem to be the ones taxing the system to the max and experiencing the most problems. ThanksBob GI saw a number of posts of varying issues like these. The problem turned out to be a faulty or over stressed power supply. RegardsBob G
Bob GI'm running UTX/GEX/FEX along with FSGenesis mesh. System specs are in my sig, but nothings *seems* overstressed. CoreTemp shows 60c max, and GPU-Z shows 50c max. My PSU is a Corsair 1000 watt, so, unless its somehow defective, which is possible I suppose, the PSU being the culprit would seem remote. Also, I did numerous stress tests when I first built the system to ensure I could get a stable overclock before even installing FSX.I have frames locked at 24, and it stays there all the time, except while on the ground at some large airports, then it'll drop to around 20. I tried unlocking frames, and I got some micro-stutters, so I tried different frame locks and settled on 24.Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Jay, Naveen,What are your weather settings in FSX ? Do you use Active Sky, any version ? Do you use REX or FEX clouds ?

Jay, Naveen,What are your weather settings in FSX ? Do you use Active Sky, any version ? Do you use REX or FEX clouds ?
Ok, lemme see, Weather settings are: Global Settings: Ultra High, Visual Settings: Cloud Draw Distance-60mi, Thermal Visualizations-None, Cloud Detail-Detailed Clouds, Coverage Density-Maximum.Don't use Active Sky, But I do use FEX, standard clouds (1024, I believe).Do you think changing any of these will have any effect, or should I just try them all?Oh, I did try the Eaglesoft SR-22 on the same test flight I've been using with the PMDG a/c. No problem occurred.Also, I deleted my fsx.cfg, let it rebuild, no tweaks at all. Same problem happened at the same time with the same a/c. I would say, for me, the problem is with my PMDG a/c, but other peple have had the exact same problem with other payware a/c. It's just that I can't test those because I don't I own them.Jay

Also, I deleted my fsx.cfg, let it rebuild, no tweaks at all. Same problem happened at the same time with the same a/c. I would say, for me, the problem is with my PMDG a/c, but other peple have had the exact same problem with other payware a/c. It's just that I can't test those because I don't I own them.Jay
I more a LDS767 guy, but got the problem too, the common point is both of these aircraft are big memory and FPS eaters.For the weather, I've nothing to suggest, however, I notice that we both do use FEX clouds. Could be a common point ?

Guest rdg

Seems like others have similar problems. Something like this is so difficult to debug. Is it just system overload, or a bug in FSX? I also have intermittent crash's, and I am not taxing the system near as much as you. Bob

Idea I got from another forum : Grab this tool Filemon http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896642.aspxRun itRun FSXFly until freezethen go to the tool and filter the "Result" column for "file not found"Who knows !
Jerome,I'd be willing to try it as well, but in my case FSX doesn't actually crash. What happens is I get extreme graphics corruption that makes the sim immediately unplayable, and requires me to then exit the sim and restart it. So, I don't know right now if that utility will give me any results. I can tell you that I tried a suggestion from the other ongoing thread. The suggestion was to try and lower FSXs priority to "Below Normal" or "Low" through taskmanager. So, far it did not have any effect on "Below Normal", but I haven't tried "Low" yet.Jay

jaybird1nyc,I see that your system is overclocked. It does not matter how much you stress test your system with prime95 or OCCT or any other overclocking stress test utility, FSX will stress your system to a whole new level above a beyond the overclocking utilities.. It has been my experience and many others experience that the problem this thread is discussing is caused by an unstable overclock. That could be voltages that are to low or memory and timing being to aggressive (this can also be heated related i.e. your system memory cannot dissipate the heat efficiently).I can stress test my system all day long with my memory running at 1600MHz and play titles other than FSX and the system will run just fine. The minute I run FSX with memory set at 1600MHz (evening raising NB, SB anad memory voltages) FSX will crash with graphics corruption.There are way too many people out there that do not heed this advice and chase their tails for months on end, the they end up bad mouthing MS as well as video card manufacturers for bad drivers and its just not the case.So, try relaxing your overclock and you mat very well fix your problem.

So, try relaxing your overclock and you mat very well fix your problem.
I've got exactly the same problem as him, and got stock speed.No CPU OC, no GPU OC, PCI-E bus at stock speed too. :(

jaybird1nyc,I see that your system is overclocked. It does not matter how much you stress test your system with prime95 or OCCT or any other overclocking stress test utility, FSX will stress your system to a whole new level above a beyond the overclocking utilities.. It has been my experience and many others experience that the problem this thread is discussing is caused by an unstable overclock. That could be voltages that are to low or memory and timing being to aggressive (this can also be heated related i.e. your system memory cannot dissipate the heat efficiently).I can stress test my system all day long with my memory running at 1600MHz and play titles other than FSX and the system will run just fine. The minute I run FSX with memory set at 1600MHz (evening raising NB, SB anad memory voltages) FSX will crash with graphics corruption.There are way too many people out there that do not heed this advice and chase their tails for months on end, the they end up bad mouthing MS as well as video card manufacturers for bad drivers and its just not the case.So, try relaxing your overclock and you mat very well fix your problem.
Sarge, Thanks for the suggestion, however it didn't fix the problem. First I tried backing off on just the memory speed (which wasn't over the rated speed to begin with), then I just put everything back to stock speeds, no OC at all. No joy :(
I've got exactly the same problem as him, and got stock speed.No CPU OC, no GPU OC, PCI-E bus at stock speed too. :(
Jerome,In addition to reverting back to stock speeds, I ran with no weather, no clouds. No luck... :( Also had no bufferpools set, tbm=40, tried different frame lock settings; 20, 24, 30 and unlimited w/frame lock utility enabled.Have you had any luck at all???Jay