Sign in to follow this  
sunnyjim41

Cannot power up 744 from cold and dark state

I am having problems powering up the 744 from cold and dark state. I click the battery button, switch source power to auto. Also I never seem to get external power even at major airports.

Check that the But Tie switches are in the AUTO posn and they aren't isolated.

Are you referring to power to the EADI/EHSI then?If so then that doesn't come until after the IRS alignment.If not then power will need to come from the APU, the DC battery provides power to only a few sources during preflight. Rotate the knob to the START posn and let it roll back to RUN. Once the N1 rotor of the APU spools up pass 95%, the APU can supply power to the AC bus. The option for ground power can be found via the PMDG dropdown menu under misc options.

Are you referring to power to the EADI/EHSI then?If so then that doesn't come until after the IRS alignment.
I go by the checklist and I still get no power to even power up the displays. Never had this prob before.

Guest lgvpilot1
I go by the checklist and I still get no power to even power up the displays. Never had this prob before.
Two obvious things to start with are Is your park brake set ?You are expected to sign your name in all your posts Try going to the pmdg options in the task bar , you dont have to do any thing in particular just open the window then close it Its not a perfect solution but it seems to work for me when Im waiting for ground powerMark

Guest hangar744

Hi,understanding your very very brief description right, you are most probably dealing with discharged APU and/or MAIN batteries. Try to apply external power to the aircraft in order to recharge the batteries. I know...that's the tricky part. PMDG external power removal and application is not clear. I still don't get the logic behind it. One tick box in the PMDG---> General---> Options---> Various---> Ground Conditions---> EDG Drive should be checked. If a number of conditions are met you'll get one or two cables plugged in. Parking brake has to be set as far as remember. Make no mistake...the real BCU monitors a large number of inputs, but definitely not the parking brake. I remember something funny with the AVAIL lights not coming on with flat batteries on board while both external cables were connected. This is rather unusual. But pressing any "not illuminated" EXT PWR P/B causes a miracle...she comes online. Then you can see and monitor both of your batteries charging.I also have two questions guys:What does EDG Drive stand for? Never heard of such thing...Can someone collect and explain all the conditions necessary to get those lazy ground personnel near the external power receptacles. Already offered them coffee...well, it was ineffective.regards,delcom

Check the PMDG menu Options to see if ground power available is checked.If not, you might have to wait a loooong time before ever getting external power. (read: ain't nevr goin' to happen)Check if your battery is on.Set parking brakes on.after a while external power should become available. the reason for this delay is that connecting the external powerby ground crew is simulated (in real life it takes a moment or 3-4....7-8 to get connected)That's it really.EDG stands for Engine Driven Generator. So when engine is up and running this generator provides the electricity for onboard (flight) systems.Each engine has 1. When disconnecting this EDG you are basically screwed: only ground crew can "reconnect" it.Since MSFS has no ground crew the button in the menu is used to reset it in case you disconnected it from the Overhead panel.

you are most probably dealing with discharged APU and/or MAIN batteries.The batteries discharge when they are the only source of power to the aircraft, or you have the battery power set to ON from AUTO. Some components still run on DC power when the external generator or APU is connected but when the battery is powering everything, it only has about a 30min life span. I think that option of the EDG restows the drive if it has been disconnected.

Guest hangar744
EDG stands for Engine Driven Generator. So when engine is up and running this generator provides the electricity for onboard (flight) systems.Each engine has 1. When disconnecting this EDG you are basically screwed: only ground crew can "reconnect" it.Since MSFS has no ground crew the button in the menu is used to reset it in case you disconnected it from the Overhead panel.
That's the 4 IDG's you're talking about...any other ideas what EDG Drive might stand for?sincerely,delcom

Guest hangar744
Some components still run on DC power when the external generator or APU is connected but when the battery is powering everything, it only has about a 30min life span.
Plus a whole lot of AC equipment will be powered by the batteries with the help of the two static inverters.regards,delcom

That's the 4 IDG's you're talking about...any other ideas what EDG Drive might stand for?sincerely,delcom
Are you referring to EDG or EDP? If you're thinking EDP, that's the Engine Driven Primary hydraulic pump.

Guest hangar744
Are you referring to EDG or EDP? If you're thinking EDP, that's the Engine Driven Primary hydraulic pump.
FS9 744FPMDG---> General---> Options---> Various---> Ground Conditions---> ??? EDG Drive ???regards,delcom

That is the Engine Driven Generator. According to the AOM, it resets the IDG when pressed.

Guest hangar744

Okay, now I see the mysterious EDG Drive term appears in two locations in the same menu. First with a check box under Ground Conditions, secondly as button under the Reset Buttons. The same term is referring to two totally different actions. The second instance most probably tells the ground crew to pull the rings on all four IDG's. I reckon the first one with the check box has something to do with External Power and Air. So clearly has nothing to do any of the IDG's. It's just the term that sticks. I remember the menu used to be clear and straight forward until the latest 744 update. Somehow during the MD-11 (which I don't own) development funny items appeared in my PMDG 744 menu. If my memory serves me well IDG was called IDG in the old PMDG menu, and there was no autobrake high deceleration rate neither. I don't work on MD-11's, so I don't know how they call the main generators on those birds. In the world of 744...EDG Drive has NO meaning whatsoever (especially when it comes to external power application).Am I misunderstanding the PMDG concept, or it's just a little mistake in the menu and manual?regards,delcom