Sign in to follow this  
andarlite

Instant Scenery or FSX Deluxe SDK

In hindsight I now realized I should have purchased FSX Deluxe rather than the Standard version. Anyway, I want to be able to place scenery objects around the areas I fly, so should I just get Instant Scenery or should I purchase the FSX Deluxe to get the SDK and then use something like SBuilderX?Thanks,Henry

Hi HenryI do have the Deluxe version of FSX10 and Instant Scenery and they certainly work well together. I'm not sure if you need the Deluxe version for Instant Scenery though. I also use SBuilderX for a variety of projects particularly when altering coastlines and adding in roads. The ADE program (Airport Design Editor - Freeware) is brilliant and does much of what SBuilderX can do but I find myself interchanging or combining depending upon what I am doing. I still use Instant Scenery as well, so from my perspective the three are essential and so far there is nothing that I have been unable to achieve.I would think that if you can pick up a copy of the Deluxe version with the SDK at a reasonable price then you will be delighted with what these programs can help you achieve.CheersMike

Even with having the SDKs and the abilities that entails, I would recommend Instant Scenery. It makes object placement very easy, very visual.

Hi,If you really only want to place some buildings, you might be OK with only Instant Scenery. But once you start to like extending the scenery and want to do more, I think having the SDK is very useful. Quite some tools depends on the tools that come with the SDK.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks for all the replies.Looks like I'm leaning towards getting Instant Scenery. I doubt I will want to get any more involved than just placing objects, not that I wouldn't mind extending scenery and such, but most of my time is spent on constructing a home cockpit (767) right now.I discovered a freeware called Whisplacer..... does anyone have any experience with it? Is it comparable to Instant Scenery?Thanks,Henry

Whisplacer is comparable to Instant Scenery, but it has no user's manual and development stopped over a year ago. It requires the SDKs to generate a BGL file.

I am also using WhisPlacer regularly. Personally I think the lack of a good manual is not so bad, the tool is quite easy to use.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog