Sign in to follow this  
Guest Les1000

Calm Winds

Guest Les1000

I have ASX weather with SP4 I love the program as it really improves upon the default weather and just for some sweaty palms while on approach to PHNL my 737 was cutoff by a JAL 747 and the wake turbulence nearly caused my plane to divebomb into the pacific love those Asx effects. The only issue I have is that on 95% of my flights the destination weather always seem to have calm winds when I start my approaches. I use flightkeeper ACARS to check the weather while enroute and when i expect to have winds from 280 and 10 knots with 2 miles visibility with rain with NOSIG forecast I always get calm winds and good visibility takes the fun out of my flightplanning because ATC will vector me to the main runway instead of the one a planned for. Anyone having this same issue?ThanksLes T.

I've just been competing in the FS RTW Race where one of the conditions of the race is the downloading of real world weather. We all discuss our progress in the race on Teamspeak and one of the topics we discuss is the weather. It surprised me to hear from other members of the team how different were the weather notifications we were receiving. Some of the guys were using Active Sky X, some were using Active Sky 6.5 in FS9, and some were using the default weather in both sims.I expect the explanation for this is that any weather notification can only be a representative sample of the weather taken at a particular point in time, which could change without being updated by the particular sampling procedure. The result of this is that different reporting agencies could sample the weather at different times and potentially report considerable difference in the weather, and end users of these services need to be aware of this. In practical terms the winds reported by the Shift + Z key combo will be the ones you will have to deal with in the sim, in spite of the notifications you receive from any particular reporting agency.I hope this helps, and welcome to Avsim.

Mike Beckwith

Hi Les,Please drop me an e-mail and remind me that you are getting calm winds most of the time with ASX. jim(AT)hifisim.comThanks,