Sign in to follow this  
Guest 56RAF_Seeker

GPS key bindings

Guest 56RAF_Seeker

Hi all,I can find the GPS intrument easily enough via the on screen menus, but I'd like to bind a keystroke to call it.At the moment I go through this to call the GPS in, for example, a sailplane:1) hit "alt" to show the menu bar2) chose "views/intruments/GPS"3) Hold down alt to close the menu bar4) Check course with the GPS, then right click on the GPS and choose "close window".It works, but it's not exactly immersive!Problem is I don't know which of the myriad GPS comands listed under the control settings ois the right one to call the GPS on screen. I've tried "toggle GPS" but that doesn't seem to do much.Any ideas?

Guest RonB49

The GPS is nothing but a 2d instrument panel. The individual panels can be called by typing the appropriate key chord on the number keys at the top of your keyboard (not the numpad). Shift+1 will toggle the main 2d instument panel. Shift+2 is usually the radio stack and Shift+3 is often the GPS. The exact numbers vary from plane to plane but if you experiemnt you'll find the keys you need for the GPS.R-

Open the panel.cfg file for your desired aircraft to determine what Shift-N combination is assigned to a sub-panel. For example:

[Window Titles]Window00=Main PanelWindow01=Radio StackWindow02=GPSWindow03=PopupWindow04=Mini Panel

The above is from the Aircreation_582SL's panel.cfg file. The GPS is assigned to Window02, so the keyboard command will be Shift-3 (add 1 to the WindowNN entry).In other words: Shift-NN = WindowNN + 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest 56RAF_Seeker

Thanks guys.Does this mean it's impossible to have a standard or default key assignment for all planes?I'm using a Saitek yoke and had hoped it'd be possible to assign the GPS panel to a yoke button, but that won't work if the panel assignments differ from plane to plane.

Thanks guys.Does this mean it's impossible to have a standard or default key assignment for all planes?I'm using a Saitek yoke and had hoped it'd be possible to assign the GPS panel to a yoke button, but that won't work if the panel assignments differ from plane to plane.
No, it simply means that if this is what YOU want, you will have to edit every a/c's panel.cfg file to accomplish the task! :(Alternatively, you could use the registered version of FSUIPC to assign a key_event to a specific button on your Saitek yoke.All sub-panels for the GPS should be using indent=GPS_PANEL, which means that a key_event KEY_PANEL_ID_TOGGLE specifying the GPS_PANEL should open/close the GPS popup sub-panel on command.

Fr. Bill    

Guest 56RAF_Seeker
No, it simply means that if this is what YOU want, you will have to edit every a/c's panel.cfg file to accomplish the task! :(Alternatively, you could use the registered version of FSUIPC to assign a key_event to a specific button on your Saitek yoke.All sub-panels for the GPS should be using indent=GPS_PANEL, which means that a key_event KEY_PANEL_ID_TOGGLE specifying the GPS_PANEL should open/close the GPS popup sub-panel on command.
Ouch! edit every A/C? that seems an awfull lot of work!I thought FSUIPC was something to do with controllers? I'm quite happy with the way my Saitek yoke works in FSX (although it annoys me I can't set trims to axis).Again, thanks for the reply.

I thought FSUIPC was something to do with controllers? I'm quite happy with the way my Saitek yoke works in FSX (although it annoys me I can't set trims to axis).Again, thanks for the reply.
Hah! FSUIC is a veritable "Swiss Army Knife" utility. It can do a thousand things, at least... :(

Fr. Bill