Sign in to follow this  
Guest grim_marmazet

PMDG 747X Reflectivity

Guest grim_marmazet

Hi,Im fairly new to repainting, and i've been working on a BA livery for the 747X. Im alsmot done, the only problem I have is the PMDG 747 is way too shiny for my liking.Can anyone explain to me how to tone down the reflections?Regards,Rik

Simply said , you will have to change the aplha layer of the texturefiles.To export and import these layer use DXTBmp by Martin Wright.Darkening the alphalayers makes the gloos increase ,enlightening them makes the gloss decrease.Gloss generated by the mdl file cannot be changed ( it actually can be one in a complicated way better forget abou that )Here is an excellent tutorial;http://members.lycos.co.uk/mcwdainowLink is dead now , probably alive again tomorrow (I sincerely hope so )Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest grim_marmazet
Simply said , you will have to change the aplha layer of the texturefiles.To export and import these layer use DXTBmp by Martin Wright.Darkening the alphalayers makes the gloos increase ,enlightening them makes the gloss decrease.Gloss generated by the mdl file cannot be changed ( it actually can be one in a complicated way better forget abou that )Here is an excellent tutorial;http://members.lycos.co.uk/mcwdainowLink is dead now , probably alive again tomorrow (I sincerely hope so )Leen de Jager
I did look at the tutorial, but the PMDG 747 has an alpha channel already that is used for the landing lights reflection on the fuselage. It seems to come on and off with that.I may be wrong though, if anyone knows if altering that with a lighter shade of grey will make the hull less shiny?Regards,Rik

I did look at the tutorial, but the PMDG 747 has an alpha channel already that is used for the landing lights reflection on the fuselage.
Having a look at the tutorial is not enough, you`ll have to study it.The texture for the fuselage has an alphalayer to make gloss.The fuselage L files ( wich is the file providing the mirroring of landinglights, logo-lights and others) also have alpha layers.The so called diffuse-files e.g fuse_left_T .bmp ( the colorfull ones to make a KLM look like a KLM ) have only alphas for gloss.The light files e.g. fuse_left_L.bmp are for light effects in dusk or darkness.In other words _T file alphas are for gloss and _L file alphas are for lighteffects.Altering the _T file alpha with a lighter shade of grey will make the hull less shiny , indeed (mind the _T file en NOT the _L file))LeenStudy this one , it takes some days , its worth your time.http://members.lycos.co.uk/mcwdainow

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints