Sign in to follow this  
speedbird2001

ATC in FS9

Hi Everyone. ( Firstly sorry the hogging the Forums) When I am flying on medium/long haul trips, I find it impossible to constantly remain behind the computer for the required three/four hours. I generally climb to my cruising level whilst interacting with FS9's ATC (quite often ignoring their requests to increase altitude or change direction) as I try follow the SIDS to the letter so to speak. I then hit the autopilot and just to remind myself I am not a real pilot will tend to the garden, clean the car etc.Some hours later with chores done and in the descent, I re-establish communication with ATC who have long given up on me by hitting the nearest airport airport list button. I find the airport I am landing at and then request a ' full stop landing'. I find it very frustrating that more often than not the reply to my request to land is something like '' IFR not in use request denied'' and that is the end of any communication with them and I am not being given persmisson to land which kind of devalues the whole experiance especially as other flights are being vectored on to Finals in the normal way. So my question is, Is there anyway after a couple of hours of non-communication, I can get back into the loop of ATC, and not being denied a landing?? As we all know I could just land anyway but it detracts the realisim of the experiance. Many thanks Tristan.

Guest lgvpilot1

The trick with Fs9 atc is to wait until they hand you off to the next controller then agnowlege the hand off But do NOT contact the next controllerWhen you are about 50Nm from your TOD make contact with ATCThey may spend a few minutes trying to turn you round , just ignore them , eventually they will say proceed on course, and you will be okay for an Ifr landingComplete with turn left , no turn right , no turn left again :( Mark

Of course Tristan, a very easy way exists. When handed off to another center, acknowledge it but don't contact it. This way atc will automatically pick up the centers along your route without contacting them (you can tune in the frequency to listen if you like). This way ATC won't cancel your IFR and you can recontact it when you feel like it.EDIT: Too late :(

Guest lgvpilot1
Of course Tristan, a very easy way exists. When handed off to another center, acknowledge it but don't contact it. This way atc will automatically pick up the centers along your route without contacting them (you can tune in the frequency to listen if you like). This way ATC won't cancel your IFR and you can recontact it when you feel like it.EDIT: Too late :(
OnurI always think it is better to get the same answer twice than to have 50 views and no replies :( Mark

OnurI always think it is better to get the same answer twice than to have 50 views and no replies :(
:( Ditto!

Actually at the last time of looking I had three replies and no viewings !!! That must be some kind of record. Thanks for your replies. I hoped there would be a simple solution to the question. Many thanks. Tristan.

Guest RonB49
Actually at the last time of looking I had three replies and no viewings !!! That must be some kind of record. Thanks for your replies. I hoped there would be a simple solution to the question. Many thanks. Tristan.
Hi Tristan,I don't understand your post. Both Mark and Onur told you exactly how to solve your problem. Follow their directions and give it a try it works 100% of the time. R-

Hi Ron, When I said, ' I hoped', What I meant was I am 'glad' that the explanation was simple !!!!!!!! It is a bit like saying, on reflection, after a day of sunshine, ' I was hoping for a sunny day'. I have to say, I see how easily you could read something differant into this. Who said English was an easy langauge to learn :( Anyway, notwithstanding, thanks again for the replies, they make perfect sense and I will be trying this out tonight. Tristan.

Another way to re-establish ATC control if your IFR flt pln was cancelled is to pause the sim, go to FLT Planner and set up your flt pln again, and when prompted to move aircraft to starting point, click NO and continue flying. ATC wil catch up to you.Jim D.Of course the other method is better, but this is if you forget to do as mentioned in the other posts.Jim D.

Guest RonB49
Hi Ron, When I said, ' I hoped', What I meant was I am 'glad' that the explanation was simple !!!!!!!! It is a bit like saying, on reflection, after a day of sunshine, ' I was hoping for a sunny day'. I have to say, I see how easily you could read something differant into this. Who said English was an easy langauge to learn :( Anyway, notwithstanding, thanks again for the replies, they make perfect sense and I will be trying this out tonight. Tristan.
Yes, yes, yes! After I posted, it occurred to me what you probably meant. I almost deleted my post but decided to let it stay and see what happened. Was it Churchill who said of the Americans and the Brits that, ". . . we are two peoples separated by a common language." Or words to that effect. Thanks for responding. R-

You might be interested in getting hold of a product I am currently in the process of reviewing for Avsim - Multi Crew Experience by FS++ Simulations - which would probably solve your issue. Expect a review of this on Avsim in about 2 weeks, but in the meantime I will tell you that it is voice-control software that will allow you to talk to ATC and a virtual co-pilot. So among the things you can ask your co-pilot to do, is handle ATC communications for you. If you selected that option, he would presumably keep talking to them in your absence. You can demo a fully-functional version of the software for free by downloading it from FS++ Simulation's website here:http://www.multicrewxp.com/Prepare to be impressed with it, and look out for the review soon.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks again for all your very helpful and prompt replies. Jim, I did try your idea before posting this message. It works except that the GPS will automatically re:direct the aircraft back to your first way-point which in my case was DVR (Dover). You can of course get round this by re-progamming the GPS but by that stage of the flight I was busy trying to work out the approach pattern and lets just say it was an unwelcome distraction. Well, I tried Onurs and Mark's suggestion. The first flight was from EFHK to Zvartnots (UDYZ) as I wanted to try out a wonderful free package at Zvartnots and check out my Russian AI and for some reason it didn't work I wasn't vectored in to any sort of descent. I then tried flying from Bucharest (LROP) to Dubai and voila it worked a dream. So I am still sitting on the fence a bit but will carry out more tests. Al, this new software sounds really interesting. I heard some where that this was one of the new features ACES had for FS11. Will it be compatable for FS9 ? OOOPS Checked the link and it is compatable for FS9Hi again Ron. .yes that sounds very Churchillian, the more drunker he became the more elequent were his quotes. :(

Hello again Tristan,Yes, the default FS vectoring is notoriously faulty and will not always work, sometimes it will even just forget you not to mention the zig-zaging! I don't know why this happens and God knows how any times I tried to replicate this. Apparentely it has a mind of it's own!I guess this best way is to fly a standard terminal arrival and then capture the localiser (localizer for the US! :( )It is possible to do this with the stock Garmin (Proc menu) and isn't awful in my opinion, however, not every airport is included and if so it is outdated. Not bad for GA but not suitable for realistic airliner simming.When FMC is available I fly with real world charts and ask for a certain transition which corresponds to my STAR in the FS ATC approach menu. If it isn't there then I'll just ignore the vectoring and fly the published route. :(