Sign in to follow this  
Hocking2

Is V5 going to be a free update?

I am considering purchasing Radar Contact V4.3 (or whatever the latest version is). However, I understand that V5 is coming out soon supposedly. Is this new version going to be a free update for people who already own Radar Contact? Or, we current owners have to buy the latest version? If they do have to purchase, will there be a discount for current owners? Obviously, if the V5 release is imminent, and current owners would have to purchase it at full price, I would just wait on the latest version to be released before buying.Sorry if this has already been asked. I couldn't find anything about it. Thanks.

I am considering purchasing Radar Contact V4.3 (or whatever the latest version is). However, I understand that V5 is coming out soon supposedly. Is this new version going to be a free update for people who already own Radar Contact? Or, we current owners have to buy the latest version? If they do have to purchase, will there be a discount for current owners? Obviously, if the V5 release is imminent, and current owners would have to purchase it at full price, I would just wait on the latest version to be released before buying.Sorry if this has already been asked. I couldn't find anything about it. Thanks.
soon is a relative term. it won't be out next month, or next quarter.major upgrades, 3.x to 4.x, 2.x to 3.x, and 4.x to 5.x will be upgrade you have to pay for. people with 4.x will get a reduced price on v5. those who don't own a previous version of RC, will obviously pay full price. the upgrade cost is usually 10-15% of full price.and i will probably stagger the release of v5, sending the upgrade purchase URL's first to those who have v1, v2, v3, v4. then once they've had a chance to download it, the upgrade URL will go out to the v2, v3, v4 folks. and so on. that helps manage the bandwidth and the manufacturing capacity.when will v5 come out. i'm not ready to give a date. i thought for sure i would have had it done last year. but it was a troubling time for me and my family personally and i didn't have the bandwidth to work on it as much as i wanted to. i'm gearing up, lining up the beta team, preparing to put the petal to the metal.jd

That sounds great. Having us pay for major upgrades it totally fair in my opinion, and to allow us to pay a discounted price is very generous on your part. I just wanted to make sure that I did not buy version 4.3, and then have version 5 come out within a few weeks. It doesn't sound like that will be the case, so I am comfortable purchasing Version 4.3 at this point.I do have one more question concerning how to buy Radar Contact. I would like to have an immediate download of the software, but I always like having software that I buy on a CD/DVD in case I have to reinstall it in the future. Do you offer an option where I can download the software, and also get it on DVD? It appears as if you offer one way or the other. Furthermore, if I just downloaded it, and then burned the download to DVD, would I be able to install Radar Contact from my created DVD on any computer that I wanted? I know some software that you buy in the form of a download has to be installed from the download itself. If you lose your hard drive, it can become difficult to get access to that software again since you lost your original download when the drive crashed. This is my concern.

That sounds great. Having us pay for major upgrades it totally fair in my opinion, and to allow us to pay a discounted price is very generous on your part. I just wanted to make sure that I did not buy version 4.3, and then have version 5 come out within a few weeks. It doesn't sound like that will be the case, so I am comfortable purchasing Version 4.3 at this point.I do have one more question concerning how to buy Radar Contact. I would like to have an immediate download of the software, but I always like having software that I buy on a CD/DVD in case I have to reinstall it in the future. Do you offer an option where I can download the software, and also get it on DVD? It appears as if you offer one way or the other. Furthermore, if I just downloaded it, and then burned the download to DVD, would I be able to install Radar Contact from my created DVD on any computer that I wanted? I know some software that you buy in the form of a download has to be installed from the download itself. If you lose your hard drive, it can become difficult to get access to that software again since you lost your original download when the drive crashed. This is my concern.
feel free to burn it to dvd/cd when you're done downloading it. or back it up to another disk.

Guest Derrick Muller

Hi guys,I've been using RC for a couple of years now and in my opinion it is one of the add-ons for Microsoft Flight Simulator that has made the greatest difference and positive contribution to my simulated flying. Even if the developers charged me $100 for an upgrade, I'd be more than willing to pay for it, because they surely deserve a reward for their professional approach to detail and overall excellent work!RegardsDerrick

Hi guys,I've been using RC for a couple of years now and in my opinion it is one of the add-ons for Microsoft Flight Simulator that has made the greatest difference and positive contribution to my simulated flying. Even if the developers charged me $100 for an upgrade, I'd be more than willing to pay for it, because they surely deserve a reward for their professional approach to detail and overall excellent work!RegardsDerrick
thank you. your praises for radar contact far exceed your offer. it's my pleasure to provide this level of experience.jd

jd - have you made any progress on breaking the RC sound away from the speakers and to a headset? IIRC, a long while back you said that you didn't know how to do it. I wondered if you've made any progress in that area. It's been quite a few years since I did any Windows programming but if you don't use DirectX, I believe it's a matter of giving the user an option to assign RC output to the default windows audio or voice device.:) I'm thinking the thoughts I used to have when a user suggested a 'simple' change to me. Believe me I understand, just hope it can be implemented.Thanx,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest Mower

I too agree that it is quite fair to charge for v5...I eagerly await its release and will happily pay $100 for it without a thought.

I too agree that it is quite fair to charge for v5...I eagerly await its release and will happily pay $100 for it without a thought.
i'll give you the special 100$ download link :-)jd

i'll give you the special 100$ download link :-)jd
Let me add that if I could get the same level of support (that we get from you) from my telephone, power and internet providers, my city services, the (non virtual) airlines I fly with, the repairmen I hire, etc. I wd be a really happy camper.Having said that:- Mower has just created a dangerous precedent.... - I too will gladly splurge (no numbers though!) but more so if I can still enjoy FS9 alongside V5, V6, etc.Cheers and thanks againPhil

Let me add that if I could get the same level of support (that we get from you) from my telephone, power and internet providers, my city services, the (non virtual) airlines I fly with, the repairmen I hire, etc. I wd be a really happy camper.Having said that:- Mower has just created a dangerous precedent.... - I too will gladly splurge (no numbers though!) but more so if I can still enjoy FS9 alongside V5, V6, etc.Cheers and thanks againPhil
so far v5 still works with fs9. i don't see any reason why v5 won't be compatible with fs9 and fsx. v6, who knows. i'll do my best to keep it compatible.