Sign in to follow this  
Bonkster

Installed a new CPU.. but now won't boot! NEED HELP!

Hi Guys,I just installed a new processor on my homebuilt system, but I can't get the system to boot. My specs are:Core2Quad 9550 2.83ghzASUS P5N32E - SLI - Nvidia 680iAntec TPQ-1000W PSU8GB Corsair RAMNvidia 8800GTXWinXP-64bitI upgraded from a Core2Duo6600 to a C2Q9550. I went with the Q9550 because I didn't want to install a new motherboard (my current board is an ASUS P5N32-E-SLI) This board will accomodate both Core2Quad and Core2Duo processors, so it was just a straight CPU swap (and a new CPU heatsink/fan).. nothing else was changed. Anyway, I powered up the system and all the fans power up, all the DVD drives power up, but the HDDs won't spin up (i.e. no blinking lights) no POST... I can't even get to the BIOS screen... I get nothing!The CPU is securely in place and properly oriented. All the drives are firmly plugged into their SATA ports and the RAM modules are firmly seated, as is the GPU. Nothing has been unplugged from the motherboard. I was properly grounded while swapping the CPU.I build computers for family/friends all the time, but this is the first time I've ever run into this problem. Could it be a bad CPU?Any help would be most appreciated!Alex

Hi Guys,I just installed a new processor on my homebuilt system, but I can't get the system to boot. My specs are:Core2Quad 9550 2.83ghzASUS P5N32E - SLI - Nvidia 680iAntec TPQ-1000W PSU8GB Corsair RAMNvidia 8800GTXWinXP-64bitI upgraded from a Core2Duo6600 to a C2Q9550. I went with the Q9550 because I didn't want to install a new motherboard (my current board is an ASUS P5N32-E-SLI) This board will accomodate both Core2Quad and Core2Duo processors, so it was just a straight CPU swap (and a new CPU heatsink/fan).. nothing else was changed. Anyway, I powered up the system and all the fans power up, all the DVD drives power up, but the HDDs won't spin up (i.e. no blinking lights) no POST... I can't even get to the BIOS screen... I get nothing!The CPU is securely in place and properly oriented. All the drives are firmly plugged into their SATA ports and the RAM modules are firmly seated, as is the GPU. Nothing has been unplugged from the motherboard. I was properly grounded while swapping the CPU.I build computers for family/friends all the time, but this is the first time I've ever run into this problem. Could it be a bad CPU?Any help would be most appreciated!Alex
When I encountered a similar problem with an older Asus mobo it turned out that I had connected the CPU 12V cable incorrectly. Also on my mobo you can connect a headphone to the built in soundcard. Rhen you get voice messages about what is wrong. For example when I didn't connect the 12V CPU cable I heard a message saying CPU failure

When I encountered a similar problem with an older Asus mobo it turned out that I had connected the CPU 12V cable incorrectly. Also on my mobo you can connect a headphone to the built in soundcard. Rhen you get voice messages about what is wrong. For example when I didn't connect the 12V CPU cable I heard a message saying CPU failure
The 12V cable is connected correctly...I just tried removing the RAM modules to see if I got beeps indicating no RAM.. but got nothing...I'm starting to think it might be the mobo? The board was working fine before I switched CPUs... it's very odd! The board, itself, is only about a year old...

Did you try putting the old CPU back in to see if the board still works?Is the latest BIOS update installed?

Did you try putting the old CPU back in to see if the board still works?Is the latest BIOS update installed?
I have a Phenom with an ASUS board, and you need to make sure the BIOS was up to date to handle the new CPU. I'd put the old CPU back in, make SURE it boots. Then visit ASUS, grab the latest BIOS and install. THEN try the new CPU again.I had this same issue when I bought the Phenom. BIOS wasn't updated for Phenom, once I did that it worked fine. (and still does! :)

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

I have a Phenom with an ASUS board, and you need to make sure the BIOS was up to date to handle the new CPU. I'd put the old CPU back in, make SURE it boots. Then visit ASUS, grab the latest BIOS and install. THEN try the new CPU again.I had this same issue when I bought the Phenom. BIOS wasn't updated for Phenom, once I did that it worked fine. (and still does! :)
Preparing to do that now...

Preparing to do that now...
Tried replacing the old processor... still nothing...Tried resetting the CMOS... still nothing....Tested both CPU's to see if there was heat... both got warm after 5 seconds.. so it seems both CPUs are good.Any other thoughts?

As you know, it may or may not boot after a CMOS reset because of date problems. Also, if that MB has onboard video you might need to use it after a reset. But you probably know all that. Just seems like something is unplugged. Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

As you know, it may or may not boot after a CMOS reset because of date problems. Also, if that MB has onboard video you might need to use it after a reset. But you probably know all that. Just seems like something is unplugged. Bob
Well... as it turns out, the problem was that the 680i SLI mobo isn't compatible with the new CPU... but I still am unable to determine why replacing the old processor wouldn't let me boot.Anyway... I put in a new board (nForce 780i SLI FTW) and everything is ok now... I appreciate everyone's input and advice!Thanks!