Sign in to follow this  
BobP

OOM Errors with MD-11

Is anyone else getting consistent OOM errors with the MD-11? More importantly, has anyone found a way to reduce them? How can I tell if I have a memory leak? Thanks in advance.Bob..

Guest Tronjer

Got oom errors as well and solved it by reducing graphic details.

Is anyone else getting consistent OOM errors with the MD-11? More importantly, has anyone found a way to reduce them? How can I tell if I have a memory leak? Thanks in advance.Bob..
I changed to XP64 on my second partition, never had it since then. It

Did you already increase the userva on your system? If not, that is almost a requirement for running FSX on Vista32 (and on XP too, for that matter).There are many posts on how to fix OOM problems on this forum, but I'm too tired to find the most relevant one for you. Do a search for "userva" and "vista" and you should get some hits.The technical background can be found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspxAssuming that you have a 512MB graphics card, a userva of 2816 is a reasonable value. For a 768MB card use 2560.Tom

I'm assuming they are OOM errors. I have tried many combinations of the 3gig switch (2560 +-64) and they all end with the video crashing in the VC. By that I mean horizontal lines start developing in the PFD and ND then a quick lock up. It looks like my system can't handle the memory switch and over writes the video mem? It happens with other complex aircraft from time to time, but never consistently like this.Bob..

I have never experienced OOM since I switched to Vista 64bit and 4GB RAM, neither in MD11 nor in 747. Since MD11 was released I have flown 15 flights so far (range from 1000 nm to 4500 nm - 3 hrs 15 mins to 10 hrs 30 mins) with no problem. When I plan a flight I always download all available addon airports enroute (jus like to look on them from FL360), I use Radar Contact, for AI traffic I have magnificient SkAI set to 100 % and I use Active Sky 6.5. All my flights start or finish at EDDF by Aerosoft (MAF2008) and other airports vary from small airports like FKKD (Douala, Cameroon) to mega airports like KORD (Chicago O

Guest KSTLFF

Your OOM errors are most likely due to the fact that you are running a 32 bit OS. It's not a PMDG issue. If you have tried the 3gb swithch and still get them, then you might want to consider the switch to a 64bit OS. Thats what I had to do when the MD11 was realeased and have not had one issue since the switch. As you can read, you won't find anyone having OOM's with a 64bit OS. All OOM's occur with the 32bit OS. Check you system and make sure your OS is upgradeable via the MS VISTA web site. Upgradable will save you $!! You can buy the VISTA Ultimate version which is 64bit ready for 180$ without buying the full version. Anyhow, the +'s of 64bit is you can run as much RAM as you can afford!!Good Luck!P.S. FYI, Vista Home Premium comes with a 32bit CD only. You have to order a 64bit cd for another 10 bucks, and is mailed to you pretty quick. I had mine in less than a week. If you go with the ultimate version, is comes with a 64bit cd.Brett LucasKSTL

Guest RR501
I have never experienced OOM since I switched to Vista 64bit and 4GB RAM, neither in MD11 nor in 747. Since MD11 was released I have flown 15 flights so far (range from 1000 nm to 4500 nm - 3 hrs 15 mins to 10 hrs 30 mins) with no problem. When I plan a flight I always download all available addon airports enroute (jus like to look on them from FL360), I use Radar Contact, for AI traffic I have magnificient SkAI set to 100 % and I use Active Sky 6.5. All my flights start or finish at EDDF by Aerosoft (MAF2008) and other airports vary from small airports like FKKD (Douala, Cameroon) to mega airports like KORD (Chicago O

Thanks everyone! I installed Vista 64 bit and spent most of yesterday getting my client and server to talk to each other via simconnect and FSUIPC. I'll installing the MD11 soon. Thanks.Bob.. :)

Why do people insist the problems with OOM have nothing to do with the MD-11? If a person can run the 747, like myself, without getting OOM errors on XP 32 bit systems on a particular route or routes, but when the MD-11 is used on the same route or routes, an OOM error occurs each time. For me it doesn't happen all of the time but the MD-11 will cause my pc to totally freeze up to the point that I have to shut it down and restart. Other occassions I get the "run out of disk space" message. Yes, I have my system clean, up-to-date,etc. For instance, the past 2 days I have tested the MD-11 on a route from TAPA to SKBO. Got a total pc freeze within 30 mins flying time for each flight. No heavy addon scenery activated, nothing. I then used the 747 and made a complete flight. I used other addon aircraft as well on the same leg...no problems. Now, I do understand the MD-11 is a memory hog, but if switching over to a 64 bit OS and adding a gazillion gig of ram is going to solve the OOM errors, count me out. But, to say the MD-11 has NOTHING to do with a CTD,etc, is disingenious to say the least. The 3 Gig switch is NOT the cure-all for every system either, as I tried it and had zero success. In essence, if the MD-11 was designed to operate on 64 bit systems with a minimum of 4G of RAM, for example, then PMDG should have made it clear, as it seems that I see alot of posts regarding the suggestions to switch over to 64-bit systems. Personally I am not going to switch OS just to run one aircraft.I'm not flaming PMDG at all...I am speaking based on MY experience only. I will continue using the MD-11 on my 32-bit system and deal with the OOM errors when they happen. Life is not lost after all :(

I do understand the MD-11 is a memory hog, but if switching over to a 64 bit OS and adding a gazillion gig of ram is going to solve the OOM errors, count me out. But, to say the MD-11 has NOTHING to do with a CTD,etc, is disingenious to say the least. The 3 Gig switch is NOT the cure-all for every system either, as I tried it and had zero success. In essence, if the MD-11 was designed to operate on 64 bit systems with a minimum of 4G of RAM, for example, then PMDG should have made it clear, as it seems that I see alot of posts regarding the suggestions to switch over to 64-bit systems. Personally I am not going to switch OS just to run one aircraft.I'm not flaming PMDG at all...I am speaking based on MY experience only. I will continue using the MD-11 on my 32-bit system and deal with the OOM errors when they happen. Life is not lost after all :(
Hi Joe!You have a relax and harmful attitude at least, compare to so many other frustrated simmers, to the OOM problem. So my hat of for you!But I

I am without OOM errors for over three weeks now. I am running Windows XP 32 SP2.What did I do to optimize my FS? I downloaded a program called ACA2007 (download here). It scans your aircraft cfg's for error. In my FS9, there where over 400 errors. The program tells you what the errors are and where, but doesn't give the solution. Much of the errors are related to typo's in the name of the texture folders, or related to missing texture folders. All aircraft cfg's are being scanned, including AI aircraft folders.An other thing I did was the tip I found in the AES forum about OOM and CTD's:When you have WOAI Traffic installed, it looks like that some of the aircraft use a Effect file called fx_strobex.fx, which is not present in the FS9 effects Subdir, so that the FS try to find this file 100 times a second. Solution: copy the file ..\EFFECTS\fx_strobe.fx to ..\EFFECTS\fx_strobex.fx This might work also for other AI (and maybe even other aircraft).For me this resulted in no CTD's and OOM messages.Hopefully some of you might benefit from this too.So you see there was not a PMDG MD-11 related source of the CTD's and OOM's.

Hi Joe!You have a relax and harmful attitude at least, compare to so many other frustrated simmers, to the OOM problem. So my hat of for you!But I

I do have a couple I am unsure about. Re: Digital's F70CT C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\aircraft\Digital Aviation Fokker 70CT - [fltsim.2] - AIR file missingC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\aircraft\Digital Aviation Fokker 70CT - [fltsim.3] - AIR file missingAir file is in the folder, so I have no clue why it says the file is missing.
The air file may be there but these two livery (2 and 3) entries may have wrong name for the air file. Check with the others and the original air file's name. They must be the same. Have a look:[fltsim.X]title=XXXXXXXXXsim=XXX - this name must be the same as the air file's name.model=By the way I recommend the older version of the scanner (ACA2005), which does a lot more checking. It's here:http://aifs.pvdveen.net/Download/ACA2005v1.2.zipBut be careful with it. It's very very detailed. And sometimes suggests too much, especially identifying some files as AFCADs, which they aren't in reality (usually taxisigns, signs or approaches). Any files called AF2_XXXX will be double AFCADs (a good example is the AFCAD mess when using GAP Greek airports), but others are not so don't touch them.To find duplicate AFCADs you may use ScanAFCAD alternatively:http://www.nwlink.com/~erog/ScanAFD.zipWhat's more, make sure you don't use 32bit textures for your AI planes. You don't need them. DXT3 textures look good enough and eat much less space and memory.You can always convert textures with ImageTool (from FS2004 Terrain SDK).A usual texture folder of an AI aircarft is between 1.25 and 2.5MB. If it's larger, it may suggest 32bit bitmaps!.The same goes for cloud textures. Use them in reduced versions.Also avoid suspicious addon sceneries as well as duplicate mesh and landclass files (they will again increase memory usage).As for the landclass files, if you use some in separate folders, make sure there is no texture folder which would be empty. Just remove it.For the same reason landclass files (bgls) should not be incuded in the scenery folder of the addon airport.The best way is to put them into a separate folder with a Scenery subfolder only. Smart scenery makers release it like that. ;)A fictional example from the Scenery.cfg:[Area.087]Title=Lisbon meshLocal=Addon Scenery\LISB_meshRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=87[Area.088]Title=Lisbon landclassLocal=Addon Scenery\LISB_lcRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=88[Area.089]Title=Lisbon airportLocal=Addon Scenery\LPPTRemote=Active=TRUERequired=FALSELayer=89The terrain (mesh) and the landclass folders will have only a Scenery subfolder (unless it's a photoscenery).The airport folder will also have a Texture subfolder.And another tip counts if you choose to fly from or to AES supported airports (a great idea!).In such case try to choose both your departure and destinations airports with AES support (if possible, of course). Having no AES support at one of them may sometimes constibute to OOM or g3.dll problems.I read the 3GB switch or moving onto 64bit system solve the OOM problem. However I am not going to follow any of them.But by taking thorough care of your FS9 (examples given above) you will reduce the probability of OOM-related heart attacks (especially on final approach).Best regards,Rafal