Sign in to follow this  
pilotwannabe

747FSX: A/T Re-engagement Problem

After disengaging the A/T in flight by selecting the A/T ARM switch to OFF, I'm having a problem re-engaging the A/T after selecting the A/T ARM switch back to ON. For example, if VNAV is the engaged pitch mode when I cycle the A/T ARM switch to OFF and then back to ON, then, according to the manual, "If VNAV is already engaged at the time the A/T ARM switch is selected ON, the autothrottle will engage in the appropriate mode for the regime of flight." In the sim, however, nothing happens when the A/T ARM switch is selected to ON. The thrust is still controlled by the thrust levers and the A/T mode display is blank. The only way to re-engage the A/T is to push the already-lit VNAV button on the MCP. As far as I know, no procedure calls for pushing an already lit MCP button for an engaged mode (other than for disarming an armed mode like LNAV, VNAV, LOC or APP).While the above example is for when VNAV is the engaged pitch mode, the same is also exactly true for when FLCH is the engaged pitch mode.Am I misunderstanding this particular aspect of the A/T, or is this a bug? The tutorials available do not address this specific issue. Any help appreciated. Thanks!Rushad E.

I found out that VNAV will lose speed control when you cycle the A/T on and off. Try pressing SPD on the MCP then activate VNAV.

Kevin,Thanks for the response! As I mentioned, you also loose spped control in FLCH. You should have to push the SPD switch (after cycling the A/T ARM switch) only if the engaged pitch mode is V/S, ALT of G/S.Though some other users have pointed out to me in the past that PMDG is not planning any more updates to the 744 (I myself have missed the post where PMDG supposedly said that), I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be another update where this and some other persisting AFDS issues mentioned in earlier posts will be resolved.Rushad E.