Sign in to follow this  
flyerkg

SKYTALKTEAM - REALPAR FS2004

I discovered a product that simulates PAR approaches called Real PAR by SkyTalkTeam. I'm curious to know if anyone can give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down to this product. The only product I know of that simulates this type of approach is the Aviano AB product that comes with GCA ground controlled approach. It also appears that this Real PAR has not been around that long but I cannot determine if it is compatible with FSX or not.Keith

Keith Guillory

Well flyerkg... I made the unfortunate mistake of purchasing RealPAR from Skytalkteam...and all I can say is...STAY AWAY!! I also own the Cloud9 Aviano, and the GCA function of that scenery is leaps and bounds better than the Skytalkteam 'effort', even if it is only for that scenery and one runway to boot. As most people on these boards don't know or understand the concept of a PAR or GCA approach, I wouldn't expect too many responses LOL. I also cannot answer as to FSX compatibility, since I use FS9 solely. If you want or need specifics as to why the product is so bad, let me know. I will gladly post this information. HTH

Well flyerkg... I made the unfortunate mistake of purchasing RealPAR from Skytalkteam...and all I can say is...STAY AWAY!! I also own the Cloud9 Aviano, and the GCA function of that scenery is leaps and bounds better than the Skytalkteam 'effort', even if it is only for that scenery and one runway to boot. As most people on these boards don't know or understand the concept of a PAR or GCA approach, I wouldn't expect too many responses LOL. I also cannot answer as to FSX compatibility, since I use FS9 solely. If you want or need specifics as to why the product is so bad, let me know. I will gladly post this information. HTH
Yes, indeed I would like to know why I should steer away from this product. I've bitten into a few other products lately without asking the difficult questions. I have done a few PAR and ASR approaches to include one going into Fort Smith Arkansas where the controller insisted I was on course, but to my Instructor's full view, he knew I would never touch the runway if I continued to adjust according to the controller. He gave me a chance to sneak a peek from under my hood asking, "does that look right to you???" I had the Aviano product but when I installed Trend Micro Internet Security, it detected some heuristics associated with the product and upon cleaning the quarantined files, it took away the visual aspects of Aviano, KLAX and KDCA Washington National. I also noticed that you cannot find a home page for Skytalkteam. This alone is enough to concern me.Thanks!

Keith Guillory

Yes, indeed I would like to know why I should steer away from this product. I've bitten into a few other products lately without asking the difficult questions. I have done a few PAR and ASR approaches to include one going into Fort Smith Arkansas where the controller insisted I was on course, but to my Instructor's full view, he knew I would never touch the runway if I continued to adjust according to the controller. He gave me a chance to sneak a peek from under my hood asking, "does that look right to you???" I had the Aviano product but when I installed Trend Micro Internet Security, it detected some heuristics associated with the product and upon cleaning the quarantined files, it took away the visual aspects of Aviano, KLAX and KDCA Washington National. I also noticed that you cannot find a home page for Skytalkteam. This alone is enough to concern me.Thanks!
Yes to my knowledge they have no website; As far as the specific reasons for steering clear:1) The program uses the stock microsoft speech engine, and sounds terrible (not to mention is barely audible when in-sim)2) all instructions are 'reversed' I.E. instead of 'slightly right of course/ slightly above glidepath' or 'going further right/further above glidepath' you get 'more to the left 60 above 22' or something odd like that3) although it works for any airport you configure it for, it uses data that is so narrow you get tossed off to approach for a missed approach far too suddenly and have to try again4)Did I mention that it uses the stock microsoft speech engine? (one time hearing it and you will laugh yourself silly!)5)Since the instructions given by the program are essentially 'backwards', It makes for a difficult go of things (unless you are dyslexic)There are a few more issues but hopefully that will sway you away from it; I wish more of the high-end developers would have a go at a program such as this, possibly employing a piggy-back addon to the MSFS voicepack which sounds far better; If the Aviano GCA function were user-customizable to other airports, we would have a winner..HTH