Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Fuel Question... no bashing please

I've noticed when using the flight planner it gives the amount of fuel for each leg of the flight and total amount of fuel. When I check the fuel settings they are always showing the same amount of fuel in the same tanks. For some reason I thought the tanks would automatically be filled with the correct amount of fuel. I don't think so now. Am I supposed to manually put in the proper amount of fuel for each tank? Using the amount of fuel the flight planner suggests? Thanks. William

It's not a stupid question......A good one in fact. You didn't say what you're flying which can make a difference. But ultimately, the fuel load might vary with passenger load & distance. For instance, a small plane will have "gross weight" listed. This will be combination of passenger weight, luggage, & fuel. Sometimes it comes down to more fuel & less passengers, or visa-versa. Or maybe just more fuel stops.Personally, if I'm going on a long cross-country, I'll take full tanks if it doesn't exceed limits. That way, if anything happens out of the ordinary, such as getting lost, strong winds, etc, I'll have extra fuel. IFR flights also require extra fuel reserves past the destination or alternate.As another example, a commercial aircraft might take less fuel, because fuel is "weight" & it takes more fuel to lift it. Various aircraft might also have weight limits for landings. This might require less fuel to start with for short range, or dumping fuel during an emergency. Within flight simulator, varying amounts of fuel in the commercial aircraft will have effects on the landing. It's up to you to calculate & decide the fuel load.L.Adamson

1. I think there is a realism setting for fuel level going down with engine use or not, but check on it.2. If you save a flight then when that flight is loaded, the saved fuel state is loaded as well.3. If you taxi to a fuel pump area within the marked turf limits, the tanks will be filled.4. You can manually adjust the fuel from the menus before loading up your aircraft or get to it via the alt-menu appropriate choice after the aircraft is displayed but realisticly in preflight. This last way allows you to fill up with a desired amount instead of full tanks if you have a weight and/or balance concern.

Sorry I forgot to mention I was thinking of the 747 mainly but any ac will do. I know I'll need enough for a 45 minute reserve also. Thanks very much. William

Thanks for the good info. I'll experiment with manually fuelling and see how that works. Kind of makes you watch your fuel flow. Thanks again. William

Well, I have a flight set up from KMIA to KATL and after using the flight planner it gives me full tanks except for the aux which is alittle less. Is that not to much fuel for such a short trip? I'd be landing with almost full tanks I think and from what I read on another post you don't want to do that in a big jet. I forgot to look at the navlog to see what it says for required fuel. I'll take a look. William

Well the flight planner suggests around 4000 gallons which seems about right so I'll need to start setting it manually. By default I think it just gives you full tanks so you don't have to be to concerned. Thanks for the help guys. William