Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David_FFC

Voodoo2 XP 3dfx Driver that Works!

Well, it took me awhile, but I finally played around with some more "XP" drivers this past weekend, and found a driver that works! WinXP, SP2, Voodoo2, and ALT + Enter turns on the 3dfx card, giving the effects we've always loved. I have a desktop 1.8 Mb CPU, 1MB mem, and it gives 59-60 fps (thought it would be more than that, but that works fine). W/Out V2, the rate blinks so quickly I'm not sure - think it's in the 100-200's, but without the V2 effects I guess the rate would be really high.I guess I can post the zip file here, but if anyone wants to get it themselves (after slogging through the free registration process), it's at :http://www.xp-drivers.com/drivers/76/76410.htmVoodoo2.zipFly!2K also detects the V2. I have a Microprose Ultimate Race Pro racing game that does not find it.I have yet to try Jetfighter III (a DOS game), and, another S***** simulator, Driver Education 99, which also incorporated the 3dfx, but I always had a hard time seeing what the difference was with and w/out the 3dx working. It works fine without it.The control panel applet doesn't seem to work, but that's okay (file 3DfxV2ps.dll).I'll try some other versions of that file and see if I can get one to work.When installing, at the very end of the installation there was a small error-window (I'll post it here after I get home), leading me to believe something had went wrong. A quick web search yielded one comment that said it was due to using a Win2K driver on an XP system. In fact, some of these various potential V2 drivers are described as being for Win2K, but "should work on WinXP also." But after rebooting and starting PP99, the V2 worked! I first saw this about a year ago, but just never got around to getting it.***************************************************************I had also tried, with no luck :http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo2/drivers/windowsxp/FastVoodoo2 4.0 XP Gold EditionThe applet worked, and so did the two 3dfx demos that did work with the 3dfx card, and PP99 tried to work with it, but when doing ALT+Enter I got a "grSst..." error.There is another possibility at 3dfxzone.it I was going to try next, and I may still try it, but now that PP99 is working, I may just leave well enough alone: LegendgrafiX VoodooMage 2.2.0 Koolsmoky Voodoo2 Driver Test Kit****************************************************************BTW, I had not been able to post to Avsim since early January, and I finally got a "HELP" e-mail of mine that found it's way to Tom A - he said I was "caught in a

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello, again - I had said above "at the very end of the installation there was a small error-window ... leading me to believe something had went wrong."Here is the error:Genport I/O initialization failure.After rebooting, the V2 came to life, and still works.Dave H.

Nice going. It's too bad I finally had to get rid of my Voodoo card as it wore out. And so, out went Pro Pilot 99 with it.I miss it.Doc Bryant