Sign in to follow this  
Guest bekfreak

UTX or GEX first?

Guest bekfreak

Alright, my computer is now going to be assembled this week and it'll arrive sometime next week if all goes well. GenX arrived today and I'm wondering what would be installed next UTX or GenX? I plan on getting the USA/Canada bundle for UTX via DVD next week. So any suggestions there? :)

I don't think it matters, but I always go with UTX first. My question is, in the addon scenery list should UTX go below the FSX photoreal entries? Or should it stay on top of all the default scenery?

My two cents... GEX first! You'll get great eye candy that you can jump into right away and have fun. UTX after to give you the accuracy edge for cities and coastlines. (And don't forget the FS Genesis mesh for realistic mountains. And FEX will give you great clouds, skies and water.)It's not cheap, but GEX + UTX + FEX + Genesis mesh will give you all North America in wonderful detail. In all honesty, you won't really need anything else except a nice plane to fly through it all with. Me, GEX first, all the way.

My question is, in the addon scenery list should UTX go below the FSX photoreal entries? Or should it stay on top of all the default scenery?
UTX should be above any default entry.

I think photoreal terrain will supress vector terrain such as UTX regardless of priority so it's a "don't care".scott s..

Alright, my computer is now going to be assembled this week and it'll arrive sometime next week if all goes well. GenX arrived today and I'm wondering what would be installed next UTX or GenX? I plan on getting the USA/Canada bundle for UTX via DVD next week. So any suggestions there? :)
It really is a very subjective choice. What is more important to you? If you are looking for accurate land class or river and lake and roads placement then UTX is the way to go. If changing the textures from that horrible dessert look is a priority then I would say get GEX. Personally I couldn't live without either. If you were to pin me down and tell me that I could only have one then I would choose GEX.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Install UTXE before GenX, otherwise you'll find a few bits of vector beach poking through the GenX water masks. If you get it wrong, it's not a disaster - you simply have to move the entries in the scenery library (but beware, a full install of GenX has 36 entries!)

Guest bekfreak
It really is a very subjective choice. What is more important to you? If you are looking for accurate land class or river and lake and roads placement then UTX is the way to go. If changing the textures from that horrible dessert look is a priority then I would say get GEX. Personally I couldn't live without either. If you were to pin me down and tell me that I could only have one then I would choose GEX.
I think it'll be GEX and I'm thinking REX for the cloud, sky, and water textures. And, I need of course FS Build or Flight Command. Prolly the later seeing it can be used online. I'm definately interested in the Orbx addons for Australia the most overlooked area of FS. At least I remember being stuck in it forever on some online server. The desert areas are amazing.

Install UTXE before GenX, otherwise you'll find a few bits of vector beach poking through the GenX water masks. If you get it wrong, it's not a disaster - you simply have to move the entries in the scenery library (but beware, a full install of GenX has 36 entries!)
I think he meant GEX and not VFR GenX...
If changing the textures from that horrible dessert look is a priority then I would say get GEX.
Don't you need landclass for that? AFAIK GEX will give you better looking textures, but that would still be dessert textures... In order to get rural or urban textures in spots where FSX shows desert textures while it shouldn't, you need landclass and not GEX.