Sign in to follow this  
Guest sjfdkw

aspect ratio problem

Guest delsimflyer

I have a 1280x1024 lcd display, want to use a lower resolution like 1024x768 for better framerates but due to the difference in aspect ratio the display gets vertically stretched making panel gauges oval, fuselage look short etc.how can I keep display from being fit to whole screen?

how can I keep display from being fit to whole screen?
As far as I know, with an LCD monitor, you can't stop this from happening, it will always stretch a 4:3 image to fill the 16:9 (or similar) aspect ratio of the screen.The only LCDs that dont do this are the TV ones which will show a square 4:3 image in the center of the screen undistorted.Have you tried experimenting with the WideViewAspect= setting in the fsx.cfg file? It can either be set to true, or false.

If you experiment with different display resolutions I think you'll find that you'll get better frame rates with the highest resolution your monitor can handle. This is because at lower resolutions the CPU has to spend clock cycles converting the display's natural resolution into the lower one which is relatively artificial.In any case, while I don't quite grasp how you could have a problem with stretched panel gauges on a 4x3 display, you could run the sim in windowed mode and resize the display to any aspect ratio you like.

Mike Beckwith

Guest delsimflyer
In any case, while I don't quite grasp how you could have a problem with stretched panel gauges on a 4x3 display, you could run the sim in windowed mode and resize the display to any aspect ratio you like.
the problem is 1280x1024 is an exception with aspect ratio of 1.25 while all others are 1.33.so I was searching for a way to prevent stretching or force some resolution with ratio 1.25enabling widescreen just adds wide resolutions with 1280 width, also I dont prefer the windowed mode

the problem is 1280x1024 is an exception with aspect ratio of 1.25 while all others are 1.33.so I was searching for a way to prevent stretching or force some resolution with ratio 1.25enabling widescreen just adds wide resolutions with 1280 width, also I dont prefer the windowed mode
If it really bothers you, you should be able to grab the scenery at the edges and pull it down/up with the mousein full screen mode, to adjust it to your liking..Surprised it would really affect performance.. is your video card the bottleneck?

Bert

Guest napamule

The res of 1280x960 IS 1.333 , or 4:3, which you're looking for. The res of 1280x1024 is 16:9. So switch 1280x960 and you got it. I used to use 1280x1024 (1024 is 'better' than 960 isn't it?-ha) and went back to 1280x960, with 'Wide_Aspect=True' in fsx.cfg and like it better. Windowed mode can be stretched to almost full screen size by dragging the sides out to max monitor viewing area, and then squish it to your hearts content. I use windowed mode to switch to aircraft or panel cfgs for editing.The other thing you could do is set desktop res the same as FSX res and it makes your video card (XP) happier in working with FSX. Tried that? Tricks, tricks!Chuck BNapamule