Nvidia released today a new WHQL driver 182.08. Seems to be a nice drver packageGlen

Guest rdg
Nvidia released today a new WHQL driver 182.08. Seems to be a nice drver packageGlen
Hi Glenn,I have just installed and will let you know. Mixed feelings by many but not much change I understand from .06's FSX is a breed all its own anyway. Getting on the driver forums, you will find most are yakking about Crysis and others, so their comments dont really help us that much. RegardsBob

Hi Glenn,I have just installed and will let you know. Mixed feelings by many but not much change I understand from .06's FSX is a breed all its own anyway. Getting on the driver forums, you will find most are yakking about Crysis and others, so their comments dont really help us that much. RegardsBob
You're absolutely right! WHEN will Nvidia address Flight Simulation people? It's time!

You're absolutely right! WHEN will Nvidia address Flight Simulation people? It's time!
No offense but why would NVidia address a game that it's latest version was released almost 3 years ago and closed down future releases?

No offense but why would NVidia address a game that it's latest version was released almost 3 years ago and closed down future releases?
Because we're still their customers, and we BUY their product. I own a business, and I hope I never treat the smaller customer any differently than I do the larger customer. In a nutshell...that's why NVidia should concern itself with a dedicated, significantly large, user group.

Guest rdg
Because we're still their customers, and we BUY their product. I own a business, and I hope I never treat the smaller customer any differently than I do the larger customer. In a nutshell...that's why NVidia should concern itself with a dedicated, significantly large, user group.
Your are right Sir, but the reality is that Crysis installations probably out number us 1000 to 1. The bare facts are that the graphics cards do work well, but FSX is tied to the CPU like an infant to her mother. I was able to OC my CPU from 3.45 to 3.7, but only for about 30 seconds. In that 30 seconds I experienced an incredible leap of performance. Then a reboot was initiated. I really need to find someone local that can help me get this CPU to 4ghz. Many have said the sweet spot is there.RegardsBob G

Your are right Sir, but the reality is that Crysis installations probably out number us 1000 to 1. The bare facts are that the graphics cards do work well, but FSX is tied to the CPU like an infant to her mother. I was able to OC my CPU from 3.45 to 3.7, but only for about 30 seconds. In that 30 seconds I experienced an incredible leap of performance. Then a reboot was initiated. I really need to find someone local that can help me get this CPU to 4ghz. Many have said the sweet spot is there.RegardsBob G
I have my system o/c'd to 3.8 ( i7 940) and it is stable. I am also running a gtx 280 but I have to say that regardless of the Nvidia driver , ( and mine is up to date), frame rates are still just ok. With certain aircraft and in densely populated areas the computer slows right down to single digit frame rates.I wont get into a long discussion about this but I really believe you need more than 3.8 to get the smooth performance from fsx under all conditions, I would say that in areas that are not heavily articulated the frame rates are very high at this speed. I have decided to basically stop focusing on frame rates and im looking for smooth performance at whatever frame rate i can get. I understand that fsx performance is tied to cpu but is there any value in spending more $$ on the latest nvidia card.Not sure if anyone has had experience with this.peter

I have my system o/c'd to 3.8 ( i7 940) and it is stable. I am also running a gtx 280 but I have to say that regardless of the Nvidia driver , ( and mine is up to date), frame rates are still just ok. With certain aircraft and in densely populated areas the computer slows right down to single digit frame rates.I wont get into a long discussion about this but I really believe you need more than 3.8 to get the smooth performance from fsx under all conditions, I would say that in areas that are not heavily articulated the frame rates are very high at this speed. I have decided to basically stop focusing on frame rates and im looking for smooth performance at whatever frame rate i can get. I understand that fsx performance is tied to cpu but is there any value in spending more $$ on the latest nvidia card.Not sure if anyone has had experience with this.peter

In that 30 seconds I experienced an incredible leap of performance. RegardsBob G
Hi Bob,I don't doubt for a minute that is what you witnessed, but I definitely question the interpretation. I would bet big money all you will get out of a CPU bump of that magnitude, is a bump of about that much in performance, percentage-wise. I bet there are other factors about why you saw an incredible leap in perf. I do agree if you can get to 4.0 or more you will get a proportionate improvement. My quad CPU's default frequency is 3.0Ghz. I run FSX when conditions demand at 4.08 or so I get roughly a 36% increase in frame rate. So, if a particular scene maxes out at 24 frames at stock speed, I can espect to see around 30 or 32 frames--I think it's actually a little less than linear. And if I'm in a really nasty area where frames might drop to 15 at stock speed, then maybe 21 is about it at 4.0G or a little higher. Memory optimization matters too. DO make sure you take advantage of the recent discovery I take credit for in the FSX main forum. Running FSX at UNLIMITED is a very good idea, and using FPS_Limiter will prevent surges/spikes that come be seen running in UNLIMITED mode. IMO, the frame lock was put into FSX to deal with the surge/spike issue that comes with UNLIMITED, and now this nifty utility takes care of the only downside of running UNLIMITED. You will get roughly 25% increase in "performance" running UNLIMITED versus locked frames.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest rdg
No, you have a good card. I have a 285 and I no longer suffer from video memory exhaustion and maybe gained a few fps but not much you can do but overclock the crap out if it. It really is CPU intensive.Bob
Hi Bob,I don't doubt for a minute that is what you witnessed, but I definitely question the interpretation. I would bet big money all you will get out of a CPU bump of that magnitude, is a bump of about that much in performance, percentage-wise. I bet there are other factors about why you saw an incredible leap in perf. I do agree if you can get to 4.0 or more you will get a proportionate improvement. My quad CPU's default frequency is 3.0Ghz. I run FSX when conditions demand at 4.08 or so I get roughly a 36% increase in frame rate. So, if a particular scene maxes out at 24 frames at stock speed, I can espect to see around 30 or 32 frames--I think it's actually a little less than linear. And if I'm in a really nasty area where frames might drop to 15 at stock speed, then maybe 21 is about it at 4.0G or a little higher. Memory optimization matters too. DO make sure you take advantage of the recent discovery I take credit for in the FSX main forum. Running FSX at UNLIMITED is a very good idea, and using FPS_Limiter will prevent surges/spikes that come be seen running in UNLIMITED mode. IMO, the frame lock was put into FSX to deal with the surge/spike issue that comes with UNLIMITED, and now this nifty utility takes care of the only downside of running UNLIMITED. You will get roughly 25% increase in "performance" running UNLIMITED versus locked frames.Noel
Noel, thanks for the heads up. I do run unlimited but yet to see any spikes though. I just need to find someone that knows how to OC so I can get this pig to 4ghz. I cant get past the simple bios AI overclock of 15%. I did get some recommendations but it is the memory timings and voltages that are causing my issues. Wish I knew someone local. Bob